Poll
Question: Were we a better side under Dennis Wise?  (Voting closed: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 13:25:36)
Yes - 16 (28.6%)
No - 40 (71.4%)
Total Voters: 35

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Were we a better side under Dennis Wise?  (Read 3199 times)
Spencer_White

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 14:59:33 »

Quote from: "DV85"
Whilst I know Whalley is coming to the end of his career and is well past his best, but he has spent most of his career at a much higher level than Pook will ever achieve, so he must have something about him. I dont see why he cant still do a job in the 4th division.

Maybe Whalleys brain in Pooks body....hmmm  :|

He's done nothing for us. From what I saw his best game was Yeovil away last season, but what did he actually do? Pooks best performance was Boston away just 3 weeks ago, where he was superb. Dont get me wrong, I dont think Pook has been a good player for us, but he's better than Whalley.

I know what you mean about Whalleys brain. But a lot of these incisive balls go to no one, because our players arent on the same wavelength. You have to look at end product, and Whalley rarely had any. He's also got attitude problems and probably didnt want to tow the line on Sturrocks fitness regime.

Just hope he leaves soon. Ive got absolutely no nostalgia for Cureton or Whalley.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 16:07:15 »

Same players, same performances IMHO. We are hard to break down, don't score enough goals, look good when we knock it around, look bad when we go wrong.

Sturrock has not been able to bring in his kind of player yet. Zaboub looks good on the plus side. On the down side we don't have as much variety in attack. Sturrock, Lucas and Peacock are all too similar, so when we need to change it if Roberts isn't on his game we are stuffed.
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 16:21:31 »

Also, whats this sturrock continually comes out with that we cant dominate for 90 minutes?

You win games by maintaining concentration and focus for 90 mins, not 60 as we did yesterday and got punished

Is it any wonders we play in patches when he continually spouts this out
sonic youth

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 17:12:54 »

I genuinely and honestly don't particularly like Sturrock, I've got no doubt he'll get us promoted but he's done nothing to endear himself to me yet. All the hard work was done in pre-season by Wise and Poyet, Sturrock had the easiest job in the world when he came in.
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 17:24:01 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
I genuinely and honestly don't particularly like Sturrock, I've got no doubt he'll get us promoted but he's done nothing to endear himself to me yet. All the hard work was done in pre-season by Wise and Poyet, Sturrock had the easiest job in the world when he came in.

I agree

Whilst I think he has the credentials to take us up, my feelings are that he is concerning himself with too many off the field iisues rather than concentrating on the team, and I think that is clearly starting to show.

I agree that the start of the season was a lucky one for us, I saw a much more organised team than the one I am seeing at the moment.

Oh, and if you read this Paul, would you please stop fucking whinging...........................its the same for everybody mate, and it's wearing a bit thin with me now
Rich Pullen

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 18:29:45 »

I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the two to be honest.

Still inconsistant, still have lots of work to do.
West Country LaLaLa

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 18:52:57 »

First off, I don't think we were better under wise than we are now. We were pretty dire then, we still are now. Its still a crap team and league and the opposition is poor.  Consistency is key and thats something that you could say we don't have.
If you look at Walsall for instance - they don't strike me to be better than the teams around them. They've lost to most of them, it's only the fact that they have consistently beaten the lower teams that they are where they are. Somthing that we seem to fail to do at times.

I think sturrock makes some baffling decisions on tactics when we are chasing a game. Its like he throws the system about just so that he can put all the strikers on the pitch. This hasn't worked at all well in the last two games. We look better having a settled system - just change the personell when necessary!

Don't think whalley is better than pook. Two managers have now picked pook ahead of Whalley so that tells you something. I do however think it is time for weston to replace pook in the middle for a bit
fatbury

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 19:20:07 »

Yes id say we were better at defending set pieces .. we were fitter generally and lets face it we were playing better football.
fatbury

« Reply #23 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 19:20:45 »

oh and we had Monkhouse! talk about a lucky charm
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 19:24:54 »

we play much better football under Sturrock and i think we would be 7th now if Wise was still here
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #25 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 19:33:33 »

i think the set piece situation was better under wise purely because we had a giant goalkeeper picking the ball off strikers heads.dont get me wrong smith has done a good job but brez is a top goalie. Beers
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, February 18, 2007, 20:39:29 »

I voted no as I think we are about the same

Obviously Brez was a big loss and it's hard to know what difference he would have made as Smith has also been good. I think he may have had an impact though.

Evans is the obvious other major loss. And Westcoutry's point about Walsall is a load of bollocks! How can you even suggest Walsall are doing better when we could win our game in hand and go level on points?

I still think there is as much chance of auto promotion as there ever was and am confident that we wil lmake the top 3. 4th place would be near heartbreak!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: