Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ebay Help  (Read 6803 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 16:04:06 »

So i recently sold an electronic item, its brand new but stupidly got rid if the box.

In the description i clearly stated there was no box or packaging and i also marked the "returns not accepted" button ( i don't know if any help)

This was about 10 days ago and today out of the blue i get a return request. The notes were very polite but basically said that "his guy" made a mistake and should not order anything without its original box, sorry etc etc.

It seems like this guys might have a little shop and was looking to sell on the item but anyway, am i within my right to reject the return or will ebay side with him?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 16:14:53 »

If it was well described you should be fine.

'Electronic item' is quite vague though
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 16:19:47 »

If it was well described you should be fine.

'Electronic item' is quite vague though
The item is irrelevant really. It was described well and clearly noted that there was no original packaging.
If the item was faulty or similar then i could understand but they made a mistake and i have that in writing, there is nothing wrong with it then just simply don't want it.
Gethimout

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:13:07 »

The item is irrelevant really. It was described well and clearly noted that there was no original packaging.
If the item was faulty or similar then i could understand but they made a mistake and i have that in writing, there is nothing wrong with it then just simply don't want it.

As long you have nothing that could come back on you, then refuse it based on the grounds that the buyer knew what he/she was buying into.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:19:39 »

When I  sold a DAC on ebay I made sure I had photos and videos of the item working, next to a bit of paper with the buyer's user ID and the item code. Then the same within the box, I was told to do this by someone who sells a lot of stuff on ebay. Unless you've done this they could just raise a dispute that it isn't as described or worse, could damage it and report it as faulty. I suppose you have correspondence to help your case now, but the dispute process for ebay can either be excellent or drawn out.
Can you sell it on to someone else just as easily do you think?

I thought my joke was pretty good, did it woosh you?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:22:27 »

Maybe you want to give this a read too https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Selling-on-eBay/customer-wants-to-return-Listing-said-NO-RETURNS-ACCEPTED/qaq-p/659449
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:29:24 »

Thanks mate, i have read a few of these and they all seem to have one thing in common, that ebay seem to side with the buyer. Like you say, what i don't want to happen is to refuse the return then they take a hammer to it and say its faulty.
I'll be able to sell it on, its just hassle.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:37:09 »

Making a mistake is not a reason to return under the Sales of Goods Act and Consumer Protection legislation - unless you had materially misrepresented the state/functionality you will be fine to refuse.  Second hand car salesman's entire careers relies on such!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:52:42 »

Making a mistake is not a reason to return under the Sales of Goods Act and Consumer Protection legislation - unless you had materially misrepresented the state/functionality you will be fine to refuse.  Second hand car salesman's entire careers relies on such!

I totally agree but Ebay/Amazon/ etc are complete bastards to sellers. Even when everything is in a sellers favour...rule of thumb is nearly always given to the customer. In theory Chubbs should be fine but as he mentioned above. If he refuses, they only have  to "find it damaged" and submit another claim stating it's broken.

It's bloody annoying because it's not really that long ago we would send someone a parcel in good faith, after receiving a cheque in good faith, just as standard with no "recorded" "sig on delivery" or "special delivery" and we used to have very little problems...you as the seller now have to do so much to cover your back. Online buying and selling in great but when it goes wrong it favours the buyer more. The only times it doesn't so much is with a pricing glitch (palpable error). Some sellers will honour it but usually the item won't even despatch and the sale gets cancelled.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 17:53:30 »

Sorry Chubbs just realised my comment hasn't really helped you one bit  Crash

'Incessant Nonsense'

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 18:21:34 »

Doesn't the basic principle of caveat emptor relates to all such matters, be it eBay or whatever?
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 20:00:37 »

Doesn't the basic principle of caveat emptor relates to all such matters, be it eBay or whatever?

Yes of course but in a faceless market (ie, online) it is easy for said "buyer" to obscure reasonable condition of goods to the "seller"

'Incessant Nonsense'

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, January 24, 2018, 22:53:25 »

So i recently sold an electronic item, its brand new but stupidly got rid if the box.

In the description i clearly stated there was no box or packaging and i also marked the "returns not accepted" button ( i don't know if any help)

This was about 10 days ago and today out of the blue i get a return request. The notes were very polite but basically said that "his guy" made a mistake and should not order anything without its original box, sorry etc etc.

It seems like this guys might have a little shop and was looking to sell on the item but anyway, am i within my right to reject the return or will ebay side with him?
Stick to your guns mate, seems you are totally in the right,  make sure you log into your account and click on to 'report buyer' and report problem to ebay. This  will then cover you should the buyer return the item 'damaged'.  It may also be the case that the buyer has done this before which would also help your case.  Ebay are generally quite good and helpful if you phone them, would probably do that first.  Sell quite a bit on Ebay and have used this procedure a few times in the past.  Hopefully its not a local buyer who's going to come around and kick your door down !. Good luck.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 2, 2018, 14:12:42 »

Am I right in that ebay are now allowing you to list x amount of items for free and you only pay the % if you sell the item ??
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 2, 2018, 15:43:58 »

Am I right in that ebay are now allowing you to list x amount of items for free and you only pay the % if you sell the item ??
Sure are, up to 100 listings a day, then you pay 10%,  commison on each item sold,  nothing charged if item does not sell, don't forget they also take 10% of the postage charged.  PayPal then take something like 23p + 3% of total amount if you use their services. Most people do as it makes life easier and the money is in your account almost instantly.
« Last Edit: Friday, February 2, 2018, 15:46:11 by swindonmaniac » Logged

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: