Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: on the basis that....  (Read 10266 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 16:20:20 »

I really think it is.  I cant remember 1 goal scored against us that was an unstopable strike or a well worked move with no defensive culpability for us.

Thats the most annoying thing.  If we had cut even half the cock-ups out we'd be looking like a half decent side with a repectable points tally.

Most goals are the products of mistakes somewhere, even at a higher level than we play at, in Div 3 it is quite unusual to see a goal scored, which is solely good play by the attackers.

The better teams make fewer mistakes, especially of the most basic variety.

In the last couple of weeks I've doubled the quota of goals seen dropped in from weak free kicks, relative to the previous 40 odd years.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 17:41:03 »

When you watch ITV's 'The Championship' you see the level of competent defending decrease from

each division.Some of the levels of defending in Div 2 are simply comical.I watched 'Football Gaffes'

on ITV4 yesterday,wondering if STFC would appear? Sure enough,it showed Tom Heaton rushing out

of his area, against Port Vale at the County Ground,in october 2005.The ball bounced high over his

arms and led to an easy goal.We lost the game 2 - 1

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
adje

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 19:58:03 »

I remember Nicky Hammond doing something similar at Ipswich-the day Fjortoft scored his first goal

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
dell boy

« Reply #93 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 19:59:54 »

When you watch ITV's 'The Championship' you see the level of competent defending decrease from

each division.Some of the levels of defending in Div 2 are simply comical.I watched 'Football Gaffes'

on ITV4 yesterday,wondering if STFC would appear? Sure enough,it showed Tom Heaton rushing out

of his area, against Port Vale at the County Ground,in october 2005.The ball bounced high over his

arms and led to an easy goal.We lost the game 2 - 1

That really was a howler.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 20:26:36 »

I can remember Digby kicking the ball straight to Merson v Boro....we were top and 1-0 up and cruising...Merson scored then Emerson got the winner.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 20:36:58 »

was that david thompson and george ndahs debuts?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 20:38:23 »

Yeah..Ndah scored a peach on his debut.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 20:42:48 »

I can remember Digby kicking the ball straight to Merson v Boro....we were top and 1-0 up and cruising...Merson scored then Emerson got the winner.

TBF, Merson still had a bit to do...

In fact, you could make a case for that game being some sort of high water mark, we've been going down hill since.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 20:47:04 »

Was a great finish Reg...and i agree that game is clearly etched in my memory...its as you say been downhill since.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 21:00:00 »

Was a great finish Reg...and i agree that game is clearly etched in my memory...its as you say been downhill since.

We could compete with the likes of Boro back then...we haven't played them since that season.

The reason for difference is Steve Gibson...a model chairman, whereas we've had nothing but problems, he's managed to steer Boro to some degree of success.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 21:02:55 »

And the same goes for Reading....i hope our guys are watching how theyve done things.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Monday, October 6, 2008, 21:14:19 »

And the same goes for Reading....i hope our guys are watching how theyve done things.

True, but I've no time for Reading, whereas Boro have always been a proper football club.

There are of course major differences to our situation....with Reading, they owned Elm Park, which was a shit hole with no potential, so relatively easy to sell and get a new ground.

Middlesboro, is an industrial wasteland, with plenty of relatively cheap land available for development, and all sorts of grants available.

The CG is still  decentish ground, which we don't own and there is little if any cheap land in Swindon for a development.  The only way it would happen if the Board want to pay for it, and there is little evidence they want to do it. 
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 06:44:13 »

I remember Griemink "doing a Smith"  in front of the Townend within 2 minutes of the start of a game.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
adje

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 18:08:39 »

I remember Griemink "doing a Smith"  in front of the Townend within 2 minutes of the start of a game.

v Cardiff I think

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, October 7, 2008, 18:31:31 »

I am pretty sure that Reading were trading at a fairly significant loss for most of their ascent too?

Yes they've been successful but it has come at a cost, depends how you define "well run" but to me it is living within your means.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: