Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Provisional World Cup Squad...  (Read 14941 times)
Rich Pullen

« Reply #75 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 16:40:54 »

Quote from: "Ben Wah Balls"

I think he'd go for Carrick in that role rather than Hargreaves. Certainly should do anyway.

From the online Q&A.

Chris
Lancashire Why was Owen Hargreaves selected?

Sven-Goran Eriksson
TheFA.com Because, after his injury, he's now played the last 11 matches for Bayern. I went over to see him last week against Stuttgart and he was one of the best on the pitch, playing as a sitting midfielder. He is also versatile.

I'm thinking he may prefer Hargreaves to Carrick on experience in the set-up and in domestic football.
Spud

« Reply #76 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 16:45:35 »

Carrick should easily be ahead of Hargreaves as far as the squad goes.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 16:51:26 »

Quote from: "Johno"
walcott is a massive gamble....i don't get it. Bent is the top english goalscorer and suld therfore be in the squad...don't get it.

good to see lennon in, he is quality but wright phillips though, he needs to leave scummy chelski to get in the squad. he doesn't play.

Its called talent Johno...if you've got it you'll shine.  If Walcott is as good as a lot of experienced judges think, then doesn't matter he's hardly played any games....he could be the card which gives us the edge.

If it doesn't work out, then he'll have gained experience....Brazil had Ronaldo in the 94 WC as a 17 year old, but didn't need him.
lumpimynci

« Reply #78 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 18:32:47 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
Also meant to say Owen Hargreaves is an excellent selection .. Mr Versatile plus he is used to playing in Germany and might give the squad some inside info on things ..

Has anybody seen Hargreaves do anything at all in an England shirt ever?

Perhaps he most anonymous player ever in Englands midfield.
lumpimynci

« Reply #79 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 18:40:16 »

Quote from: "Danjackson10"
Paul Robinson
David James
Robert Green

Gary Neville
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Ashley Cole
Sol Campbel

Jamie Carragher
Wayne Bridge

David Beckham
Michael Carrick
Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Owen Hargreaves
Jermaine Jenas
Stewert Downing
Joe Cole
Aaaron Lennon

Wayne Rooney
Michael Owen

Peter Crouch
Theo Walcott

What does everyone think!?

Sven says that he knows Walcott is a risk, and one risk out of 23 is Ok.  

Alright that's fair enough, but what the fuck do you call that lot if they're not risk.

Four strikers - one 's on crutches, one's just of them, and one's a kid that hasn't played ANY competitive football in months and has NEVER played top flight football

He's mental!
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 19:21:49 »

Quote from: "lumpimynci"
Quote from: "Danjackson10"
Paul Robinson
David James
Robert Green

Gary Neville
Rio Ferdinand
John Terry
Ashley Cole
Sol Campbel

Jamie Carragher
Wayne Bridge

David Beckham
Michael Carrick
Frank Lampard
Steven Gerrard
Owen Hargreaves
Jermaine Jenas
Stewert Downing
Joe Cole
Aaaron Lennon

Wayne Rooney
Michael Owen

Peter Crouch
Theo Walcott

What does everyone think!?

Sven says that he knows Walcott is a risk, and one risk out of 23 is Ok.  

Alright that's fair enough, but what the fuck do you call that lot if they're not risk.

Four strikers - one 's on crutches, one's just of them, and one's a kid that hasn't played ANY competitive football in months and has NEVER played top flight football

He's mental!

Ashley Cole is a must, easily the best English left back, Campbell should definitely go, Ferdinand and Terry to start but he's a good defender to have as backup, Jenas is not really a risk but there might be better choices. Owen and Rooney are risks but if there's no chance at all they'll be fit then they can be replaced.
Spud

« Reply #81 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 19:25:58 »

Quote from: "fatbury"
Also meant to say Owen Hargreaves is an excellent selection .. Mr Versatile plus he is used to playing in Germany and might give the squad some inside info on things ..

Mr Versatile?, is that cos he's shit in every position he plays in. :roll:
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 19:41:45 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

Its called talent Johno...if you've got it you'll shine.  If Walcott is as good as a lot of experienced judges think, then doesn't matter he's hardly played any games....he could be the card which gives us the edge.

If it doesn't work out, then he'll have gained experience....Brazil had Ronaldo in the 94 WC as a 17 year old, but didn't need him.

If Owen and Rooney were fit then it would be bordering on the mildly strange. But him in and to not at least have another striker is bizzaar beond belief. He hasn't even seen him play.

And I think it does matter that he hasn't played many games. Even the best players need games to get consistancy and match sharpness.

It would be different if he was still at Southampton  playing week in week out. But Arsenal reserves just isn't the same.

Sound to me like Swen really doesn't rate anyone else after Crouch, Rooney and Owen, so has gambled on filling the goal void from midfield. I can see where he is coming from on that front. I guess Walcott may be able to come off the bench when Crouch fails to deliver in a 4-5-1. But he hasn't earned his place and hasn't proven his ability.

Don't see the point about Ronaldo. he was at least in his clubs first 11.
Reeves for King

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 20:18:34 »

Has Sven gone mad?

My quibbles with it are:

Much as I'd like there to be 23 Arsenal players in the squad, Walcott is too inexperienced.

Owen Hargreaves is shite
Downing has been injured
Only 4 strikers, 2 injured, 1 never played a first team match
Lennon is very hit aad miss as he is so young
No Wright Phillips
No pacy striker (Defoe)
No strong powerful and fast striker (Bent)
We will have to play Crouch from the start.
No King, 4 centre backs is not enough.

Sven is mental. :?

here's the man himself when you need him?
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 20:29:29 »

Why isn't 4 centre backs enough? Would've been good to have King in there but he's not fit and 4 should easily be enough.

Lennon isn't hit or miss, he's been on superb form for ages now - if he hadn't have been picked it would have been a mistake and there's nothing wrong with playing Crouch from the start.
Reeves for King

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 20:42:44 »

Why isn't 4 centre backs enough? Would've been good to have King in there but 4 centre backs should easily be enough.

Lennon isn't hit or miss, he's been on superb form for ages now - if he hadn't have been picked it would have been a mistake and there's nothing wrong with playing Crouch from the start.

When Lennon plays well he is fucking quality... unfortunately he has quiet and scintillating games in fairly equal proportions. Oh, and he plays for Spurs, so is a cunt like the others.

4 Centre backs should be enough, but why not take a 5th you can play in midfield too?

Dazzza

« Reply #86 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 20:49:43 »

Can't quibble to much at all to be honest, Walcott is a gamble I suppose but he has that unknown quantity about him that could prove to be a masterstroke.

Hargreaves is tough to judge because I just haven’t seen enough of him in Germany but the bits and pieces that do filter through have him as one of the top players in the Bunders.  Could be useful especially with a potential tie with the Germans in the 2nd round.

Reeves for King

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 21:18:41 »

To be honest I still think Sven's gone mad but it makes an interesting talking piint I suppose. :-))(

Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 21:29:45 »

Quote from: "Reeves for King"
Why isn't 4 centre backs enough? Would've been good to have King in there but 4 centre backs should easily be enough.

When Lennon plays well he is fucking quality... unfortunately he has quiet and scintillating games in fairly equal proportions. Oh, and he plays for Spurs, so is a cunt like the others.

4 Centre backs should be enough, but why not take a 5th you can play in midfield too?

I'd rather have Ledley too but I think it's just because he's not fully fit, if he hadn't of picked up the injury he'd probably have been a certainty for the squad. I think it's right that Sven should go after the world cup, 'cos he's had his chance but hopefully he can go out on a high and I think the squad he's picked is capable of it.

We'll probably end up going out on penalties though.
red macca

« Reply #89 on: Monday, May 8, 2006, 21:37:41 »

Quote from: "RobertT"
7 players included that are either injured or just, and only just, returned from bad injury.

Walcott, WTF.  Yes he may be a sudden hit, but he's been inlcuded as a striker when I'm sure he's played most of his football so far behind the front two.  He has also been picked when 2 of the 4 forwards might not even be fully fit.

Hargreaves?Huh?Huh?? on what basis

No SWP is odd, plain odd.  Especially as he can go up front if needed, as show at City many times, not even on the stand by list though.

9 midfielders! despite forwards being our big injury problem.

Looks likely that we'll be playing 4-5-1 with Crouch upfront on his own at times I think.  Don't see how Rooney can be ready in time and Owen won't be match fit even if his foot is ok.

The blokes lost the plot.
usually i agree with you rob but this time i cant..surely its obvious that if owen and rooney are fit(which he will be) they will play.if they are not we will play one up front with gerrard,cole playing off the striker..genius aint i.as for walcot as i have not been to much football this year i took it upon myself to watch him a few times the lad is nothing short of amazing and if he gets the chance this year you watch him go
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: