Pages: 1 ... 295 296 297 [298] 299 300 301 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1214301 times)
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4455 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:57:04 »

Good to see he has been released from Barrow nick now.

He was quite obviously coked out of his face and was ranting about Anthony Joshua and Little Mix and trying to rabble rouse his football 'lads'.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4456 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:57:17 »

Perhaps they should have a statue of Jimmy Saville in Leeds then if you get one for philanthropy and fuck what else you may have done?

It (Colston) is obviously something that should not be there in modern society.

You also can't just pull it into the dock. That's criminal damage.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4457 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 08:59:54 »

You burnt a flag? Typical far left view that the flag is a flag of something other than the country and it's people. It's provocative and divisive to burn a country's flag.

Where did I say that, just out of interest?

People selectively reading what other people say to suit their own prejudices and narratives is what is getting this country in a mess in the first place.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4458 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:00:43 »

People selectively reading what other people say to suit their own prejudices and narratives is what is getting this country in a mess in the first place.

Why do it then?
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4459 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:04:36 »

You burnt a flag? Typical far left view that the flag is a flag of something other than the country and it's people. It's provocative and divisive to burn a country's flag.

Isn't a flag just a 'colourful rag'?  I have no desire to burn flags but then again I don't get animated if someone else decides to do so.

Nothing to see here
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4460 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:09:52 »

Isn't a flag just a 'colourful rag'?  I have no desire to burn flags but then again I don't get animated if someone else decides to do so.

Burning a flag on a memorial. Disrespectful in so many ways.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4461 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:10:06 »

It (Colston) is obviously something that should not be there in modern society.

You also can't just pull it into the dock. That's criminal damage.

Kate Williams has been making some quite interesting observations about the history of the statute and the attempts by some, and the resistance of others, to make people more aware of the blokes origins. https://twitter.com/KateWilliamsme/status/1269713381973516290?s=20

FWIW I would be happy for it to be reinstated as long as this later unofficial amendment is included to better explain where he got his wealth from...

For those clutching at pearls about the chap, its going to blow their minds when they discover c.19k died on his ships just being transported, let alone those who died after arrival.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4462 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:12:10 »

For those that burn the flag and hate Britain, why the fuck live here? Fuck off and do us all a favour.

I think it’s because the flag means something different to some people than it does to others. In my 20s, I used to wear a little pin badge of the St George’ cross which said “English and Proud”. I wore it because I felt very proud to be English and saw that Scots, Welsh etc were able to overtly display their nationalism so I wanted to too.

But since then, I’ve seen the flag subverted by people I don’t want to be associated with. If I wore that little badge now, people are just as likely to associate me with a Tommy Robinson supporter than merely a proud Englishman. Pretty sad.

So burning a flag might not be the binary thing you think it means. It’s complex and nuanced and might be as much as a show of rejection for the groups that adopt it as symbology as any rejection of the country itself.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #4463 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:19:04 »

Is it also not a matter of education? A lot of people now are finding out or realising that the so called great leaders of time past were not necessarily as great as history has previously taught us.

Which was why I posted the survey that my friend has set up. How many of us were taught at school in depth at how great the "Empire" was yet things like slavery were touched upon very briefly? We weren't taught that we had achieved this "greatness" by excessive colonisation, rape and slavery. It was just seen as good for us and the cost to others was generally put by the wayside.

So when people say things like "thas disgustin' tha ris", well maybe had we all been educated in a curriculum that informed us more about the truth we wouldn't have statues of or celebrate lorded fucking gentry who maintained their status via ill gotten gains.

You're right this should have its own thread.... education and learning are not the same.  Only a small amount of learning happens in formal education, if the school process of education can provide some of the basic tools for learning it's doing well.  Sadly all too often it doesn't, but rather puts people off and closes minds.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #4464 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:20:08 »

Burning a flag on a memorial. Disrespectful in so many ways.

You are of course entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with that.  As mentioned above, others are willing to accept that there is slightly more nuance around this.

Nothing to see here
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4465 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:21:10 »

I think it’s because the flag means something different to some people than it does to others. In my 20s, I used to wear a little pin badge of the St George’ cross which said “English and Proud”. I wore it because I felt very proud to be English and saw that Scots, Welsh etc were able to overtly display their nationalism so I wanted to too.

But since then, I’ve seen the flag subverted by people I don’t want to be associated with. If I wore that little badge now, people are just as likely to associate me with a Tommy Robinson supporter than merely a proud Englishman. Pretty sad.

So burning a flag might not be the binary thing you think it means. It’s complex and nuanced and might be as much as a show of rejection for the groups that adopt it as symbology as any rejection of the country itself.
It was on a war memorial though, burning the GB flag on a war memorial is a fucked up thing to do whichever way you look at it and cannot be justified!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4466 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:24:59 »

You are of course entitled to your opinion and I have no problem with that.  As mentioned above, others are willing to accept that there is slightly more nuance around this.

How would you react to somebody urinating on a grave?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4467 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:26:45 »

It was on a war memorial though, burning the GB flag on a war memorial is a fucked up thing to do whichever way you look at it and cannot be justified!
Absolutely, can you imagine if people burnt the US flag in one of the protest over there, that would be like stepping it all up an extra notch, as if it needed it.

Utterly disrespectful and not acceptable in any way shape or form for me.

I respect their right to march against obvious injustice if they so feel the need but to do that is just not right.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4468 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:28:36 »

Well said PV.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #4469 on: Monday, June 8, 2020, 09:30:10 »

There is no fucking nuance about burning the flag on the cenotaph, no excuse, not one

Pages: 1 ... 295 296 297 [298] 299 300 301 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: