Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 ... 629   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coronavirus  (Read 1214243 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #4350 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:29:55 »

I'm conflicted by the whole protesting during a pandemic thing.

And I think some (not all) are using the pandemic as an excuse to moan about the protests. That's not a dig at anyone on here, but those I have seen using the 'excuse' elsewhere tend to be your daily mail reader type.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4351 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:40:29 »

I'm conflicted by the whole protesting during a pandemic thing.

And I think some (not all) are using the pandemic as an excuse to moan about the protests. That's not a dig at anyone on here, but those I have seen using the 'excuse' elsewhere tend to be your daily mail reader type.
I just think the same rules should apply to everyone, everyone has been moaning about MP’s flouting the rules and now you have 1000’s flouting the rules on mass gatherings. If a group of football fans turn up to one of the behind closed doors games then you know they will be vilified...
Flashheart

« Reply #4352 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:46:08 »

I don't think that watching a football game compares with attending legitimate protests over serious human rights abuses.

But like I said, I'm torn. I'm not sure where to stand.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4353 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:51:09 »

You should stand 2m apart FH.
Flashheart

« Reply #4354 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 14:56:23 »

You should stand 2m apart FH.

Very good.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #4355 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:13:09 »

I find it ironic that a protest stating ‘lives matter’ has no problem increasing the risk to people’s lives

That's a very fixed way of looking at it that suits your narrative.

As bamboo said, how about seeing it a different way: the issue is so poignant and vital that portestors are willing to take a small risk with their own health, in order to make a protest about an issue which is decades, centuries old (rather than the  months that the virus has been around).
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #4356 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:17:23 »

As bamboo said, how about seeing it a different way: the issue is so poignant and vital that portestors are willing to take a small risk with their own health, in order to make a protest about an issue which is decades, centuries old (rather than the  months that the virus has been around).
It’s breaking the fucking law at the moment! There is a protest in Manchester where the R number is supposedly above 1 now so it’s like lighting a fuse. Everyone has spent the last few months berating the governments response now we are willing to throw away all the hard work and effort people have made.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #4357 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:21:46 »

And I think some are using the pandemic as an excuse to moan about the protests.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4358 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:25:52 »

It’s breaking the fucking law at the moment! There is a protest in Manchester where the R number is supposedly above 1 now so it’s like lighting a fuse. Everyone has spent the last few months berating the governments response now we are willing to throw away all the hard work and effort people have made.

I kind of agree with this. It was interesting that in Edinburgh they had given the green light to protest but it was a static protest with areas marked out where people should stand so as to accommodate social distancing. I guess that was never going to work in London.

I’m a bit like FH I’m torn as I fully believe protest is warranted but at the same time people have made sacrifices for months now and the recent progress that had been made to reduce the R rate could now be ruined by packed beaches and protests.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
REDBUCK

« Reply #4359 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:31:12 »

Indeed, I haven't heard from Andy Burnham today, who spent yesterday demanding the government do something about the 'R' level in the North West.

Todays march can't be helping much.
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #4360 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:37:14 »

As bamboo said, how about seeing it a different way: the issue is so poignant and vital that protestors are willing to take a small risk with their own health, in order to make a protest about an issue which is decades, centuries old (rather than the  months that the virus has been around).

How about the risk to the rest of us. Yes of course we should tell the U.S that their action and lack of respect is abhorrent.  But do you think that Trump or Police Chiefs give a damn about us in Swindon, Manchester, Bath or even London?

Let's get the Virus sorted, no risk of the crowds undoing all that has been done so far. Then sort Trump and his side kicks out.

Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #4361 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:37:26 »

As bamboo said, how about seeing it a different way: the issue is so poignant and vital that portestors are willing to take a small risk with their own health in order to make a protest about an issue which is decades, centuries old (rather than the  months that the virus has been around).

The thing is, that's exactly the opposite of what most have been saying up until now. It's not just about risking your own health, is it?

Like others, I'm very torn. In the US maybe not so much, but while i really think the worldwide solidarity is a good thing(and not denying our own issues of course), smaller more controlled demonstrations would have been better I think.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #4362 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:43:06 »

Like others have said, I’m conflicted. I totally support the cause but personally I think this is a terrible time for any mass gatherings of any type. But the people at the protest probably saw the media cheering on VE day street parties and celebrating the easing of travel restrictions allowing people to flock to beaches and concluded there wasn’t much difference. The protestors do tend to be wearing masks at least.

* 8B60B8C6-4265-46CE-BD3C-D7F4ECA51E32.jpeg (152.71 KB, 819x460 - viewed 140 times.)
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #4363 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 15:46:27 »

Surely the point is that it's not the risk to their own health that is the problem, if that was the only thing to worry about then have at it, protest yourselves blind and if you get ill it's on you.  The problem here is the other people you infect that have been following the guidelines and might end up getting the infection and then risk their loved ones..

I'm all for protesting for the cause, but in these times they need to find a more suitable way to protest rather than mass gatherings..  what we are seeing is absolutely out of order IMO.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
bathford

Ignore
« Reply #4364 on: Saturday, June 6, 2020, 16:00:40 »

Surely the point is that it's not the risk to their own health that is the problem, if that was the only thing to worry about then have at it, protest yourselves blind and if you get ill it's on you.  The problem here is the other people you infect that have been following the guidelines and might end up getting the infection and then risk their loved ones..

I'm all for protesting for the cause, but in these times they need to find a more suitable way to protest rather than mass gatherings..  what we are seeing is absolutely out of order IMO.

Absolutely right.
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 290 [291] 292 293 294 ... 629   Go Up
Print
Jump to: