Pages: 1 ... 1235 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 1241 ... 3980   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 9056535 times)
kerry red

« Reply #18555 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 10:54:18 »

Sold.

Would have thought the money from Mass and Byrne would have been more than enough.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18556 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:16:59 »

I think most people thought 2-3 players would go, but not the number that are.

Wes and Williams - OOC, so fair enough

Luongo - we need money coming in to the club, so fair enough

Byrne - only 1 year left, so it's now or get nowt next year

It's Gladwin, Smith and maybe Kasim that we should have tried to keep and build upon next season.

Starting from scratch is a bummer

But if your raison d'etre, is to bring in young talent, polish them up to sell them on, then that's what you do....the idea is that you then repeat.  Power often let's slip about sort of gentleman's agreements with players, which I'm all sure we can interpret, as come here, maybe not on big bucks, improve and then we'll sell you, so it's win win, for player and club.

If this is happening for the likes of Luongo and Gladwin, then you can't deny the opportunity to Smith, Byrne, Kasim etc.

The coming campaign, will carry significant danger, and staying up, whilst seeing some progress, from the likes of Hylton, Obika, Marshall, Randall and Rodgers, plus any full time signings we make, will be a success.
« Last Edit: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:21:43 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
kerry red

« Reply #18557 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:33:11 »

Exactly.

But that's not building for the future - it's roulette, hopefully not of the Russian variety.

If Power is desperate to get to the Championship - as he says - having a virtual fire sale isn't the way to go.

Hence why I am a bit perturbed about the willingness to sell each and every player for a quick buck
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #18558 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:35:36 »

50% of profit, or 50% of fee?

I'm liking the BOGOF sales culture at SN1 where big sell-on clauses are involved.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #18559 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:35:44 »

The coming campaign, will carry significant danger, and staying up (…) will be a success.

Clap With you Reg. The problem with the model at the moment (or of our unexpected success) is that we have too much fruit coming ripe at the same time, so unless we can balance the in- and outflows better, we're going to have alternate good and fallow seasons.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #18560 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:44:49 »

If Power is desperate to get to the Championship - as he says - having a virtual fire sale isn't the way to go.
In the main I agree with you but Power has not stated at all that he is desperate to get to the Championship.

What he did say was that he would like to get there for the financial rewards it holds but that it could take a fair few years and when we get there the chances are he would sell the club, this interview was on BBC RS soon after he took over.

Pretty sure it was one of his first interviews he ever had at the club, he is all about making money at no point ever did he say he would invest any transfer money back into new players.

Buy cheap or free, help turn them into good players and sell for a profit, thats how he rolls and we as fans will have to get used to that while he is in charge.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #18561 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:48:34 »

I remember posting in the Preston match day thread that I thought it unlikely that more than 2 or 3 of the 14 players used would be still with us next season, still think that will be the case.

The key thing is having someone who can gel a group of young players & loans into a team that is competitive, anything beyond that is a bonus.
Flashheart

« Reply #18562 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:51:03 »

Buy cheap or free, help turn them into good players and sell for a profit, thats how he rolls and we as fans will have to get used to that while he is in charge.

Get used to it? I love it, I think it's a great way to run a club.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #18563 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:52:02 »

Given some of our previous custodians I'll take it. Regardless of promotion etc I get quite a bit out of seeing players like Louis and Gladwin develop.
PetsWinPrizes

Ignore
« Reply #18564 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:52:09 »

I’m pretty sure, based on his previous seasons that. Power has a plan.

Hopefully I won’t be proved wrong on this come august. But in the mean time I can see the advantage in playing his cards close to his chest.

Power won’t want his targets, particularly loanees from the Prem , who’s deals with be finalised nearer to the new season,  to become public knowledge and risk getting gazumped, or whatever the equivalent is in footballing terms.

Ultimately this policy means we have a lot of frustrated fans,  also a lot of frustrated local hacks.

Alienating the former is risky, especially with Season Tickets to sell.

But, as for the latter, bluntly it’s not Powers jobs to keep them in chicken feed during the close season.
His job is to assemble the best possible team on the resources available to him.

And if he thinks the best way to do that is to ignore the 856 missed calls from Bassam, Morshead et al then that’s his decision

HOWEVER, having said all that. I find the refusal even to confirm the BOO deal as slightly odd, why not at least try to placate the ever more jittery fan base with that news?
kaufman

« Reply #18565 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:52:56 »

It's worth noting that Power won't get many more opportunities to sell in this way as the selling clubs will become wiser and insist on a clause of some sort when we purchase a player from them.

Not quite sure how that could be implemented though
Flashheart

« Reply #18566 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:54:25 »

It's worth noting that Power won't get many more opportunities to sell in this way as the selling clubs will become wiser and insist on a clause of some sort when we purchase a player from them.

What you mean like 50% sell-on clauses?  Wink
kaufman

« Reply #18567 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 11:56:21 »

What you mean like 50% sell-on clauses?  Wink

Aye sir!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #18568 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 12:02:42 »

I believe the media blackout is due to Power discussing a sale of the club
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #18569 on: Thursday, June 25, 2015, 12:06:48 »