Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Now 5 points of the drop  (Read 4962 times)
fatbury

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, April 2, 2008, 09:50:45 »

It appears Fitton does not think so ...

I personally think we will survive this season ... but what would happen if we continue the poor form into next season??

Im not saying its going to happen .. as to be fair Malpas has to be allowed to get his own side together as Fitton has quite rightly stated and then we can truly judge his management skills - it isnt easy taking over a side mid season thats for sure

But if we win just 2 games out of the first 20 ..as per current form .. and are sitting bottom of League 1 in December .. will Fitton still stick with Malpas?

It will be interesting to see

Personally I hope it doesnt go like that and that Malpas can turn it around to just 2 defeats in 20 .. lets cheer them on anyway .. and hope that its Championship footy and not League 2 in 2009/10

In the meantime we need to beat Oldham Saturday so COME ON YOU REDS!!
 Beers
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 12:03:09 »

Quote from: "tans"
Quote from: "Bushey Boy"
cant anyone see hes a wind up?!

prick more like.

I think he makes some valid points to be honest.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 13:18:29 »

He doesn't actually make any points though does he. All that Bart ever does is spout of a load of abusive negative shite without ever give any reasoning for it: "Malpas must go, because he is shit" just doesn't cut it.

Why do I feel as though I have just taken Ralphys bait.  :?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 3, 2008, 13:43:43 »

Quote from: "fatbury"

I personally think we will survive this season ... but what would happen if we continue the poor form into next season??

Im not saying its going to happen .. as to be fair Malpas has to be allowed to get his own side together as Fitton has quite rightly stated and then we can truly judge his management skills - it isnt easy taking over a side mid season thats for sure

But if we win just 2 games out of the first 20 ..as per current form .. and are sitting bottom of League 1 in December .. will Fitton still stick with Malpas?

Personally I hope it doesnt go like that and that Malpas can turn it around to just 2 defeats in 20 .. lets cheer them on anyway .. and hope that its Championship footy and not League 2 in 2009/10

Beers

If we only won 2 of 20 he'd be gone, even for Fitton I think that would be too much to let slip.

However, 2009/10 could still be League 1 football, even based on the plan from Fitton.  Next season we should accept mid table to 8th ish may be the target.
ajdavies

« Reply #19 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 00:30:54 »

Quote from: "fatbury"

Beers

Lets worry about this season one game at a time, not next season, don't know how you sleep if thats all you worry about. Do you have a life?
normy

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 10:39:27 »

What worries me is the drop in the level of entertainment value. The same team who played such good passing football against Carlisle is unrecognisable now, and all the old cliches are coming out about winning at all costs, or ugly, which means going back to the bad old ways of kick and rush. We are not tough or good enough at this sort of game IMO.  Who is responsible for this change? I was once more looking forward to a game after Carlisle, but it's gone again.
A recherche les temps perdu or something.....

ust be the oldest
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 11:00:32 »

We could be the ugliest team in the history of football, and I wouldnt care if it led to us getting promoted.  

I've watched plenty of ugly losing football in the last 10 years so ugly winning football would be an improvement as far as I'm concerned.
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 11:16:05 »

Quote from: "normy"
What worries me is the drop in the level of entertainment value. The same team who played such good passing football against Carlisle is unrecognisable now, and all the old cliches are coming out about winning at all costs, or ugly, which means going back to the bad old ways of kick and rush. We are not tough or good enough at this sort of game IMO.  Who is responsible for this change? I was once more looking forward to a game after Carlisle, but it's gone again.
A recherche les temps perdu or something.....

I think I agree with this. It is encouraging that Malpas wants us to play passing football through midfield (as evidenced from day one when he made getting a ball-playing midfielder his priority up to the Carlisle game where we were brilliant), but seeing as he didn't have the players I really felt he would have been better served picking up the points early on by not disrupting things and continuing with the Sturrock style the players were familiar with.

Once we had 50-odd points and a couple of new players he could have started introducing his own ideas in a less pressured situation. Now, instead, we look like we might be prepared to undermine any good work that has been done on introducing the players to a new style of play because we're desperate for points. If we'd got those points early, he could be playing around with players/formations/styles to his heart's content now and we'd all appreciate he was planning for next season. That's been Malpas's biggest mistake, in my opinion, not understanding the need to get over the 50-point mark before dismantling a (relatively) successful system.

I wish him well though, I still think it might just all work out in the long term.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 11:28:44 »

Quote from: "Colin Todd"
We could be the ugliest team in the history of football, and I wouldnt care if it led to us getting promoted.  

I've watched plenty of ugly losing football in the last 10 years so ugly winning football would be an improvement as far as I'm concerned.

Ditto.

Obviously mid table pretty footy is better than mid table ugly football. But if the latter was more likely to bring promotion than the former I'd go with it!
Spencer_White

« Reply #24 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 11:46:56 »

Quote from: "Batch"

Ditto.

Obviously mid table pretty footy is better than mid table ugly football. But if the latter was more likely to bring promotion than the former I'd go with it!

I want goals. You can play ugly football and still score loads of goals. 1995/96 our football was pretty basic really.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 11:58:24 »

Ugly football sucks.  I wouldn't want to watch a team like Wimbledon were in the late eighties.  The very fact that from 90 to 94 the name of Swindon Town was linked to "proper" football makes me proud.  

A decent footballing side would in the end get you the results you need.
ajdavies

« Reply #26 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 12:08:06 »

Quote from: "janaage"
Ugly football sucks.  I wouldn't want to watch a team like Wimbledon were in the late eighties.  The very fact that from 90 to 94 the name of Swindon Town was linked to "proper" football makes me proud.  

You won't see beautiful football outside the premier league. Look what happened to Forest when they plummeted all the time before Claderwood took over they were still trying to play ''beautiful'' football.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 12:25:22 »

Quote from: "Spencer_White"
Quote from: "Batch"

Ditto.

I want goals. You can play ugly football and still score loads of goals. 1995/96 our football was pretty basic really.

Good point. That season is an excellent example that you can be fairly direct, compact and hardworking with a big fella up front and still provide a level of entertainment simply though scoring goals and having a couple of talented individuals within the team framework.

I dont need to see an Arsenal-esque brand of football to be entertained, goals, commitment and wins will do for me.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 12:35:31 »

Quote from: "ajdavies"

You won't see beautiful football outside the premier league. Look what happened to Forest when they plummeted all the time before Claderwood took over they were still trying to play ''beautiful'' football.

You won't see beautiful football in 16 out of the 20 Premier League teams either.  Mediocre division is the Premier league.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, April 4, 2008, 12:44:10 »

Quote from: "ajdavies"

You won't see beautiful football in 16 out of the 20 Premier League teams either.  Mediocre division is the Premier league.

I'd go further than that and say you dont see much beautiful football at Anfield or Stamford bridge either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: