Pages: 1 ... 868 869 870 [871] 872 873 874 ... 881   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Let's Get Political!  (Read 2046051 times)
adje

Ignore
« Reply #13050 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 10:37:39 »

Question.

Even if the UK called for a ceasefire what good would that actually do? Can’t imagine Israel would take a blind bit of notice.
They wouldn't but it would possibly seen as a show of humanity. Lord knows we need some humanity in our politicians to be honest
« Last Edit: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 10:39:51 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13051 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 13:13:46 »

I don't know why Labour whipped MPs to vote against the motion. Given the tories were against it and seemed united, it seems unnecessary and has only led to them being seen as shambolic.

To show they can put a united front with other major allies - voting as if in Government.

I don't subscribe to it - but  that's what was said against a free vote.
Cookie

Ignore
« Reply #13052 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 18:58:13 »

More likely because that's the policy the sponsors of the Labour Party supports.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #13053 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 20:23:12 »

ok , Russia buys loads of shit off Iran, Iran supports Hamas And Hezbollah, Russia ain't doing well in Ukraine.
Therefore, Russia has a word with Iran, Hamas suicide mission against Israel
Takes the pressure off the war in Ukraine

Invade Iran.

I should be a diplomat! Sorted.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13054 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 20:44:08 »

ok , Russia buys loads of shit off Iran, Iran supports Hamas And Hezbollah, Russia ain't doing well in Ukraine.
Therefore, Russia has a word with Iran, Hamas suicide mission against Israel
Takes the pressure off the war in Ukraine

Invade Iran.

I should be a diplomat! Sorted.

Not far off I suspect - Although invading Iran and you being a diplomat are unlikely!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13055 on: Thursday, November 16, 2023, 21:04:34 »

8 billion people on the planet ruled and fucked over by a couple of thousand despotic, bloodthirsty, megalomaniacs.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13056 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 13:32:53 »

Big pre-election giveaway budget (well, Autumn statement) today. National Insurance cut of 2% seems to be the big headline - about £450 less tax over a year for someone earning around £35k. Not unwelcome at all but a bit odd considering this same government put it up 1.25% all of 12 months ago as the Health and Social Care levy.

It's the natural cycle of things that taxes go up early in a governmental period and then down again right before an election to try and buy a few votes, but it does seem particularly obvious this time around.

Unless I'm missing something, no inheritance tax cut that had been rumoured.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 13:35:09 by Nemo » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #13057 on: Wednesday, November 22, 2023, 14:56:35 »

Yeah, election footing started. I'm sure they are keeping their powder dry for later too.

NI cut is useful, but tax thresholds haven't changed with pay increases so its not clear cut in real terms.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #13058 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 10:29:02 »

What do people think about the Biden/Trump "are they too old" thing that's being brought up after the recent investigation has found that Biden mishandled top secret files and has struggled to remember certain things. (I saw that he called the president of France Mitterand recently)

Obviously age should be no barrier in employment, but when you have an 81 year old man bumbling about in the most powerful job on the planet, and his opponent is a few years younger, questions have to be asked. That means Biden will be 85 by the end of his second term if he gets elected.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #13059 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 11:07:26 »

leaders of governments or countries should be subject to annual medical assesments to ensure they are physically and mentally up to the job.

I suspect a few would fall foul of the mentally up to it examination.

If they're sharp enoughthen fuck it-let them stay in post. Sometimes decades of experience trumps (no pun intended) youthful exuberance.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13060 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 11:18:36 »

Of course there should be an age limit. Surely nobody believes Biden is anything but a puppet with his strings being pulled. For a supposed democracy it’s distressing to watch.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #13061 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 11:35:28 »

Of course there should be an age limit. Surely nobody believes Biden is anything but a puppet with his strings being pulled. For a supposed democracy it’s distressing to watch.

By whom and to what purpose? It's not exactly like Biden is a uniquely popular figurehead. The comparison I guess is to Reagan who seemed to have Alzheimer's during his second term and is fondly remembered by many Americans - if the government behind them continues to function just fine then it really is just a figurehead I guess.

It's utterly baffling that the US has somehow got into position of having Biden v Trump again, but I also can't really understand the supposed equivalence of a fairly nice guy who was once competent and is now a bit senile vs everything that is wrong with Trump.

« Last Edit: Friday, February 9, 2024, 11:46:31 by Nemo » Logged

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #13062 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 11:48:23 »

Depends if you think it does function fine. If it was me I’d like to know who is making executive decisions.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #13063 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 12:49:25 »

Depends if you think it does function fine. If it was me I’d like to know who is making executive decisions.

Historically it's been Putin.
I guess that the Chinese guy is calling the shots now.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #13064 on: Friday, February 9, 2024, 12:49:43 »

It's really quite odd, being a local observer these days.

Biden is clearly like a pleasant old grandad these days.  Forgetting where the bathroom is, spending time with e little ones etc.  I have no idea how the inner workings of the party haven't managed to find an alternative and convince him to bow out gracefully.

Trump is a parody of his 2016 version - how on earth can anyone think he'd be fit to run a Country?  For all Biden's obvious push towards his later years, Trump is also all over the shop verbally these days - basically he's like that same Grandad but when he has had a few too many Sherry's and wakes up angry and racist.

Both will be well beyond the average life expectancy of a man in the USA during their term.  That alone seems a weird thing to have as your leader - someone for whom the odds suggest there is a fair chance of death occurring.  Leadership should probably come with a degree of stability, as a desire, not death as a flip of the coin in the next four years.
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 870 [871] 872 873 874 ... 881   Go Up
Print
Jump to: