Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Brisol Citys nice fans  (Read 19407 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 08:33:23 »

I've just been back to look at Wayne Allison's stats on Wikipedia, and the numbers tell a story.  What a model professional.  How many other strikers can lay claim to have played more than 100 games for 4 different clubs (Bristol, ourselves, Tranmere, Chesterfield) - and more than 70 games at another two (Huddersfield and Sheffield United) - and with a decent strike rate at pretty much all of those?  Not many.

I should also add that his goals/games ratio while he was with us was better than he achieved with any other of his clubs.  I think we had his best years.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #61 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 11:02:23 »

I lived and worked in Brizzle for a few years and In remember saying to a Slave Trader that the only palyer I'f have from his team was Allison. he said "dream on" and a couple of weeks later he signed for us. Its nice when things fall into place
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 15:54:56 »

Shaun Taylor was a lion for us. What happened to his brother, I know he played a few games 

I remember when Shaun played in one game and there was a clash of heads, he went off to have some stitches put in then came back on with a huge bandage around his head, he then carried on his normal game as if nothing had happened Smiley

4-1 down, 6-4 up?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:15:47 »

My favourite was Paul Rideout's rocket at the CG in the early 80s, league cup game I think.
Rory Fallon's overhead kick came close to beating it.

The 87 game at their place was a bit memorable too. Cheesy
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #64 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:24:16 »

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/157310-train-spotters-swindon/

Plastic cockneys? fucking inbred 6 fingered fuckwits.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:29:13 »

1-1 I think? Could of been 2-1 to Citeh?  Doh

Wasn't that the relegation season? where we drew 2-2 at Ashton Gate to get Relegated?.. This could all be total shite, mind.
We haven't had a 2-2 at Bristol City for over 20 years...I expect you are on about the 1-1 in 05/06. Great goal from Aaron Brown to put us one up.

We were as good as down before that match any. Arguably we were as good as down the minute we appointed Onoura.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:40:10 »

We haven't had a 2-2 at Bristol City for over 20 years...I expect you are on about the 1-1 in 05/06. Great goal from Aaron Brown to put us one up.

We were as good as down before that match any. Arguably we were as good as down the minute we appointed Onoura.
They needed to win to keep their promotion hopes alive and we needed to win to hang on to any hope of survival.
The draw finished both our seasons.

It's All Good..............
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:53:27 »

Werent they only formed in 1982?
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 16:56:34 »

Technically yes, realistically no
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 18:10:19 »

My favourite was Paul Rideout's rocket at the CG in the early 80s, league cup game I think.
Rory Fallon's overhead kick came close to beating it.

The 87 game at their place was a bit memorable too. Cheesy

Was that Rideout goal the one from nearly the halfway line? That's the way I remember it anyway.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sϋr ΰ propos de la moralitι et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
woolster

« Reply #70 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 18:16:23 »

Charlie Henry

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 19:01:05 »

I love how they mention we're stuck in the 70's which the last time they were in the top flight this was last time they actually did anything significant, oh they won the welsh cup and the LDV. Seeing their "honours" we truly are the greatest team in the westcountry. Oh yeah and they are grown men who get in Grange Hill-esq fights with people who live in the same town as them (wouldnt the city rovers thing be a bit like penhill fighting park south?

Lets just enjoy their sucess for a while......

Football League Honours (from wikipedia)

The Football League (Premier League) runners-up: 1906–07
   Second Division (Football League Championship) champions: 1905–06, runners-up: 1975–76
    Third Division South (Football League One) champions: 1922–23, 1926–27, 1954–55
    Third Division (Football League One) runners-up: 1964–65, 1989–90
 Football League One runners-up: 1997–98, 2006–07
FA Cup finalists: 1909
 League Cup semi-finalists: 1970–71, 1988–89
 Football League Trophy winners: 1985–86, 2002–03, finalists: 1986–87, 1999–00

Other Honours

Welsh Cup winners: 1933–34
 Anglo-Scottish Cup winners: 1977–78
Charlie Henry

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 19:12:30 »

I think its time we came to terms with the facts:

The massive Football league trophy win in 2002 was at the Millenium Stadium and so along with their proudest moment as the Welsh Cup winners this must in all honesty make them a bigger team than us in Wales
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Thursday, September 12, 2013, 21:10:19 »

I've just been back to look at Wayne Allison's stats on Wikipedia, and the numbers tell a story.  What a model professional.  How many other strikers can lay claim to have played more than 100 games for 4 different clubs (Bristol, ourselves, Tranmere, Chesterfield) - and more than 70 games at another two (Huddersfield and Sheffield United) - and with a decent strike rate at pretty much all of those?  Not many.

I should also add that his goals/games ratio while he was with us was better than he achieved with any other of his clubs.  I think we had his best years.
Enjoyed that summary.  I think Allison could have filled the lone striker role we now need - scored a few and missed a few but held it up very well.  Anyone know where he got the nickname of "the Chief" from?  Was it here or was he always the Chief - at Bristol first?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #74 on: Friday, September 13, 2013, 07:32:16 »

Enjoyed that summary.  I think Allison could have filled the lone striker role we now need - scored a few and missed a few but held it up very well.  Anyone know where he got the nickname of "the Chief" from?  Was it here or was he always the Chief - at Bristol first?
I am pretty sure he had the nickname "the chief" at Halifax early in his career.

He is one of the nicest politest men in football, when he shook my hand after winning the championship title under McMoan his hands were the size of a bunch of bananas, absolutely massive and I have very big hands but they dwarfed mine totally.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: