Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Carlisle United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 21904 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:00:16 »

The Opponent: Carlisle United

So the question on most people’s lips this evening seems to be who owns our club? People who have supported all things Swindon long enough probably recognise this as just another normal day at the office, a story of nothing maybe?  Plenty of assumptions have been made here, and on Twitter, as well as the loony Facebook page thingy, and I have yet to see anything based on anything that remotely resembles fact! So rather than #powerout I am more inclined to go for #3pointstodayplease. I like most am more than ready to dig out the orange beanie as and when required but I am not convinced its behind the Arkells just yet.

With a population of around 75’000, ‘The Border City’ lies just 10 miles south of the Scottish border. By the time of the Norman Conquest of England in 1066, Carlisle was part of Scotland and was not recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086. This changed in 1092, when William the Conqueror’s son William Rufus  invaded the region, kicked some arse, and incorporated Cumberland and with it Carlisle into England. Cheers Bill Jnr. The history of Cumbria and the changing of hands between us and the Scots are quite incredible and well worth a read if you get a chance!   For the motorway enthusiasts amongst you, the M6 from Rugby to Carlisle is the longest stretch of motorway in the UK at 226 miles long!

Formed in 1904, Carlisle is the smallest location, by population, to have had a resident top flight English football club since 1906. Carlisle United have produced some real footballing gems down the years, including Steve Harkness, Peter Beardsley, Matt Janson, and freak throw himself, Rory Delap.  One of my favourite football quotes has to be from the Carlisle chairman Michael Knighton who once said, “I believe in a Methuselah, Frankenstein, alien beings, flying saucers and the hand of God. But, most of all, I believe in on-loan goalkeepers from Swindon who score goals in the dying seconds”. Brilliant.  A few famous faces hail from the area, including Blue Peter’s Helen Skelton, Footballer Grant Holt, Ex Emmerdale blart Roxanne Pallet, and haulage king, Eddie Stobart.

Where the opposition gather –   Boring bunch. Guess debating Scottish independence is far more interesting though.
http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=121&fid=18&sty=2&act=1&mid=2111835157
Last 6 – LLDDDW (Currently 17th on 21 points, just 7 points behind us, although they did have the shame of losing at home to The Slave Traders this season).

They have served us both – Stan Harland, JP McGovern, Alan O’Brien, Vincent Pericard, TAH, Sean O’Hanlon (glad he found his bigger club), Greedy Grant Smith, Lee Peacock, John Gorman, Miguel Comminges, Scott Endersby, Don Macphail, Jake Jervis, Mike Grella

The Odds –  Swindon 8/11   Draw 14/5  Carlisle 9/2 For those feeling the curse of the returning player is likely to prove costly you can get 40/1 from quite a few outlets online on Sean O’Hanlon scoring the first goal of the game. I think Massimo is due a goal, today is the day, 11/1 with Bet365.

The Son Says – After giving me the sort of look normally given by a mechanic before he breaks the bad news, he has confidently gone for a 3-0 home win.

The Prediction – I think we can take some confidence from Tuesday night, and we still remain unbeaten against Crawley in the league.  I think we will smash them 2-1, with goals from Massimo Luongo and Ryan Mason. 7'788 with 143 from Scotland.

And Finally – The 1st ever mainland pillar box went up on Botchergate in Carlisle in 1853, I bet many a Special Brew fuelled Jock has pissed all over it.

COYR COYR COYR
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:01:33 »

0-0. 7777, 277 sweaties
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:06:05 »

Not decided whether to go tomorrow or not yet.

Think we'll thrash them 1-0.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:12:06 »

2 - 1 town
Ajose and Luongo
7955 with 252 truck loving anoraks from near sweatland
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:16:50 »

2-0 Town

Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:22:06 »

Good job again SR. We will win, people will be starting ridiculous songs about Jed/Power and it would be nice to finish the game with 11 players, a £5,000 bribe must be tempting though Smiley
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 00:56:06 »

3-1 to town papering over the cracks of the last few weeks..

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 01:27:28 »

What Bernie Clifton said.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 01:28:45 »

I've got a good feeling about this!  2-1 Swindon COYR
DA15red

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 07:41:26 »

I am going to this one. 2-1 Town win. 7,878 with 220 Cumbrians.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 07:44:49 »

We should be good enough to win today, especially as I'm out of the country.

2-0. Ajose, Mason

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
corner

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 09:14:11 »

2-0 town, ranger and mason both to start back to our best, certainly will be an interesting day for stfc....
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:07:59 »

Bore draw.

It's All Good..............
kerry red

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 10:54:31 »

Apparently, Jed/Power have challenged themselves to a nob-wrestling contest before the game with the club going to the victor.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, November 30, 2013, 11:33:36 »

If Power loses we'll be renamed Jed's Japs Eyed Spartans.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: