Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Wrecsam matchday thread  (Read 18382 times)
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #255 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:12:14 »

That may be the logic, but it’s so counter-intuitive, as those players can’t thrive without the balance that the workmanlike, physical players provide. Take Minturn or Clayton. I think both have good potential, but only if they develop next to a 30 year old seasoned pro. The same would go for Cain or McEachran. They’d be different players if Jonathan Douglas was next to them. The strategy, if you can call it that, shows either that the intended direction is not upwards, but “towards one’s wallet” (and if so, that’s flawed in itself) or it shows a complete lack of football knowledge.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:16:35 »

That may be the logic, but it’s so counter-intuitive, as those players can’t thrive without the balance that the workmanlike, physical players provide. Take Minturn or Clayton. I think both have good potential, but only if they develop next to a 30 year old seasoned pro. The same would go for Cain or McEachran. They’d be different players if Jonathan Douglas was next to them. The strategy, if you can call it that, shows either that the intended direction is not upwards, but “towards one’s wallet” (and if so, that’s flawed in itself) or it shows a complete lack of football knowledge.

Absolutely agree with that. Ferry with Douglas alongside him being a good example.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:20:12 »

You get no arguments from me or 99.9% of all Town fans I would think, but its the owner/management team you need to convince.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:27:55 »

100% plus just natural instincts any player/team is going to be more noticeable/get more coverage if they are winning games…
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #259 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:35:24 »

Ferguson had a rule of never signing players over a certain age.

He broke it to get van Persie in and promptly won the league.

Our dogmatic approach is as ludicrous as it is ineffective.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #260 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 11:42:10 »

Our dogmatic approach is as ludicrous as it is ineffective.
Indeed, I feel he has been badly advised by certain people as to the probable wealth of riches that such an approach can bring. What they have neglected to tell Clem is that these players need to learn from far more experienced players on and off the pitch. Just having 1 (Austin) is not sufficient.

There has to be more leeway in the recruitment process than it being to recruit pretty much all youngsters when even a blind man can see we need experience to help the young players learn and progress.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #261 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 12:09:59 »

Oh, btw, we had a bigger crowd than Bournemouth in their PL game yesterday.
Christ. They'll be getting the buckets out again!

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #262 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 12:47:24 »

Funny you day this, I saw someone else mention this a few weeks back. Also Khan, but he had a change of heart with AFCON coming up. As you say, who knows if there is any truth in it
There is an interview with Kokolo in the matchday programme yesterday and he listed one of his best friends at the Club is Khan. So that puts that one to bed Smiley

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #263 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 13:40:08 »

What was the attendance all about, 12,200 odd? We were supposed to have sold ours (11,750) and Wrectum brought 1,500.
Yes. It doesn’t stack up.
Surprisingly, our biggest number of Town fans through the gate this decade (so far) seems to have been for the Barrow game in ‘22.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 13:46:36 »

We may have sold 11,750 but I’m assuming the attendance includes season ticket holders whether they turn up on the day or not.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #265 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:28:44 »

I don’t think cash sales are recorded 😉
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:34:09 »

I left at half time and went back to the pub and that'll be the last time I step back in to the county ground without a free ticket.

I could just feel myself getting more and more pissed off watching players just walk around the pitch. Kemp looked like the only player who wanted the ball.

Dead atmosphere, just total apathy around the ground. Fucking depressing.

We are in free fall.
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 15:37:39 »

I left at half time and went back to the pub and that'll be the last time I step back in to the county ground without a free ticket.

I could just feel myself getting more and more pissed off watching players just walk around the pitch. Kemp looked like the only player who wanted the ball.

Dead atmosphere, just total apathy around the ground. Fucking depressing.

We are in free fall.
Otherwise a good day out?!!!!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 17:02:47 »

Was good seeing people I haven't seen for a long time.

Should have gone with my instincts and not bothered at all. I just don't enjoy being there. Was some nice nostalgia walking in to the town end for the first time in a very long time (I think man city game being my only other since the early Jed days).

I've put up with worse football or at least football as bad following Swindon but with everything off the pitch on top of it, it just winds me up.

Break needed.

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #269 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 17:34:46 »

I don’t think cash sales are recorded 😉

Ah.  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: