Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town FC v Walsall FC Official Matchday Thread  (Read 30010 times)
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:12:30 »

He has nobody to compete against him in the squad though, knows he's gonna get picked whatever.  Was better when he had competition snapping at his heals or keeping him out of the team...

You could have hit the nail on the head there.

I think my opinion of him has unarguably been coloured by how I read his attitude, which has always seemed questionable but has got even worse without competition, and I don't think many would argue he's had a notable downturn in form all over the pitch from where he was at the end of last season/ start of this coinciding with this.

Bring back Cibocchi i say! (or alternatively a better full back who can replace him outright).
Swindon Please Win

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:16:20 »

I couldn't disagree more, I think he's our biggest defensive liability by far.

Lacks concentration and commitment, almost NEVER puts in a challenge like Thompson one on one to win the ball against a winger, just backs off and lets them deliver a cross whenever they want (seen this so many times away from home, and that's only in the half i can see properly when it's down our end), plays under hit suicide passes back to Wes from ridiculous positions, has a bad attitude to ref's that gets him unnecessary bookings, never aware of where attacking players are coming into the box around him at the far post, but the most criminal thing by far in my opinion is that out of all our players, like Sheehan and Rose before him, he looks like one of those players who just doesn't care, shrugging off his sloppy passes and fuck ups and making the same errors of basic concentration and footballing good sense again and again before shouting at his fellow defenders to pass on the blame.

It genuinely worries me based on what we've seen this season that some of our fans think he's a good defender, as I think this is the position that most urgently needs addressing by Mack the Knife in the loan market.

That's because he doesn't need to, he pushes the winger wider and wider and he doesn't give the winger the option to take him on and wingers do rarely get past him. Defensively he is very good, just when he joins the attack is when I feel uneasy about him. He's a defender first though.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 16:51:52 »

That's because he doesn't need to, he pushes the winger wider and wider and he doesn't give the winger the option to take him on and wingers do rarely get past him. Defensively he is very good, just when he joins the attack is when I feel uneasy about him. He's a defender first though.

I'd also agree wingers don't often run past him, but that it's because they don't have to when he offers them enough space to bypass him with an early cross anyway. If he positioned himself to block those crosses instead of dangling a leg out then watching them fly past him into the box for the rest of the defence to deal with i'd support his approach but when he's neither stopping the ball come in nor winning the ball back for us i can't see how it's benefiting us.

Maybe though my opinion has become overly biased by my dislike of how i read his attitude, and i've been focussing too much on the negative things i see him do rather than the defensively positive things that everyone else sees him do.

Will try and play close, objective attention on Tuesday to how his approach works up against the winger from Brentford.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 17:39:04 »

Every time I've seen Jaymac play, from his first appearance at Wembley against Colchester, he isn't that great defensively, and his attacking his awful. It's made worse by the fact he's often stuck out of position when the ball breaks back to the other end, and he doesn't read the game well enough to track back in time.

I would be able to forgive him his poor attacking performance as, as people have said, he is probably just in that role of a defensive full back as opposed to a more modern defensive winger. But that he lets his defensive game be scuppered through it is not good enough. I think Almac has been our best left-back this season.

Kennedy and Cibo were two committed players who acquitted themselves well in defence, closing down angles, putting in tackles, and getting in the way when needs be, who coupled that defensive nouse with some brilliant runs forward in support of their winger, and would then track back at appropriate times to protect against an opponent hitting us on the break. I'm not saying they were perfect, they did have some howlers here and there, as is kind of to be expected with any player, but I would take one of those two over Jaymac every time.

I remember vividly Kennedy's performance against Wigan in the FA Cup last year. Superb. A Newcastle-supporting mate with me at the game was amazed nobody really rated him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #304 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 17:49:38 »

I would prefer to see JayMac as a centre back, the position he started his career at with Everton and Blackburn.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
kerry red

« Reply #305 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 18:09:22 »

Every time I've seen Jaymac play, from his first appearance at Wembley against Colchester, he isn't that great defensively, and his attacking his awful. It's made worse by the fact he's often stuck out of position when the ball breaks back to the other end, and he doesn't read the game well enough to track back in time.

I would be able to forgive him his poor attacking performance as, as people have said, he is probably just in that role of a defensive full back as opposed to a more modern defensive winger. But that he lets his defensive game be scuppered through it is not good enough. I think Almac has been our best left-back this season.

Kennedy and Cibo were two committed players who acquitted themselves well in defence, closing down angles, putting in tackles, and getting in the way when needs be, who coupled that defensive nouse with some brilliant runs forward in support of their winger, and would then track back at appropriate times to protect against an opponent hitting us on the break. I'm not saying they were perfect, they did have some howlers here and there, as is kind of to be expected with any player, but I would take one of those two over Jaymac every time.

I remember vividly Kennedy's performance against Wigan in the FA Cup last year. Superb. A Newcastle-supporting mate with me at the game was amazed nobody really rated him.

Colchester??
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Monday, March 11, 2013, 22:39:34 »

Colchester??

I meant Chesterfield, sssh.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 08:52:49 »

I meant Chesterfield, sssh.

You sure you don't mean Scunthorpe?

Is he at Chesterfield now?

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 11:10:40 »

You sure you don't mean Scunthorpe?

Is he at Chesterfield now?

I was referring to Jaymac's first appearance at Wembley in the JPT.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Tuesday, March 12, 2013, 11:16:38 »

I was referring to Jaymac's first appearance at Wembley in the JPT.

Doh! I completely misread! Apologies!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: