Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: iPad replacement screen  (Read 2356 times)
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 10:52:23 »

While celebrating the Ryder Cup win last night Clap I jumped off the sofa and landed straight on top of the iPad that the Mrs kindly left on the floor  Bad Mood  The screen itself is OK but I believe the LCD is fucked as I get a grey bar that runs across the display.

The LCD looks easy enough to replace but can someone confirm this is what is required?  Also can anyone recommend a supplier?  There are a few on eBay for £70 which seems quite pricey considering you can send the whole unit away to be repaired for £80.

Thanks in advance for any help  Not Worthy
WR5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 14:14:33 »

While celebrating the Ryder Cup win last night Clap I jumped off the sofa and landed straight on top of the iPad that the Mrs kindly left on the floor  Bad Mood  The screen itself is OK but I believe the LCD is fucked as I get a grey bar that runs across the display.

The LCD looks easy enough to replace but can someone confirm this is what is required?  Also can anyone recommend a supplier?  There are a few on eBay for £70 which seems quite pricey considering you can send the whole unit away to be repaired for £80.

Thanks in advance for any help  Not Worthy

I was in my local Apple shop  about a week ago, waiting at the Genius bar and a woman came in with a fucked iPad ( massive crack on the screen) she clearly said it was her fault she dropped it but the swapped it for a new one, no questions

Barry Scott

« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 15:17:32 »

Apple's customer service is a huge positive for them. I've never used a company even remotely comparable on any level.

Speaking to them for an hour on the phone, getting a call back at the time promised, getting emails with helpful pointers to problem solving and then visiting a genius bar (and having the problem solved) was something almost alien in this day and age.

I was only a partial, albeit reluctant, fangirl before that, now I'm a fully fledged evangelist. Smiley
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 18:04:31 »

I will gladly second (or third) the notion that Apple's customer service is the nuts
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 18:36:21 »

If you're near an Apple store it won't do any harm to make a genius bar appointment. You might get lucky and worst case is they'll give you a quote for repair. Think they offer a replacement on the cheap for damaged iPhones, not sure about iPad.
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:57:27 »

If you're near an Apple store it won't do any harm to make a genius bar appointment. You might get lucky and worst case is they'll give you a quote for repair. Think they offer a replacement on the cheap for damaged iPhones, not sure about iPad.

Will make an appointment but I assumed the replacements are only given to in warranty iPads?  Read today that the replacement cost for the iPad is £246 (32GB wifi version) which to be honest for an iPad 1 I have had from release day is quite a lot especially as you cannot upgrade to IOS6.
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 1, 2012, 20:58:50 »

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPad

@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 2, 2012, 05:00:25 »

Will make an appointment but I assumed the replacements are only given to in warranty iPads?  Read today that the replacement cost for the iPad is £246 (32GB wifi version) which to be honest for an iPad 1 I have had from release day is quite a lot especially as you cannot upgrade to IOS6.
And you can get a refurb iPad2, with warranty for around the same price, or a brand new 16GB one from John Lewis with a 2 year warranty for 329
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: