Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Southend - Official Match day Thread  (Read 32579 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 12:16:28 »

Is that even how the wage bill cap works?

The club submits their budget forecast to the league for them to check, then there is a bit of discussion until they agree on the final figures. Then they do the same thing all over again in December, so if you've played silly buggers with them they can fix it at that point.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #271 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 12:24:06 »

I'm not knocking the numbers but was trying to understand the drop from the Crewe game. Those extra supporters who attended that game have not come back for either Rotherham or Southend. I was thinking after our last home game on sky the gate would of been higher Saturday. Like you say we are pulling in crowds that compare to div1 teams so still very good. Is the wage cap something like 55% of attendance money? The noise on Saturday was the best for a long time so if it stays like that 6,500 will be fine.
Muffin Man

« Reply #272 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 12:28:16 »

The wage cap is 55% of club TURNOVER not just from gates.
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 13:06:58 »

Yeah of full turnover, but I guess that the ridiculous £25 ticket price was to get our budget forecast up for what must be turning into quite a high wage bill.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #274 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 13:13:03 »

Yeah of full turnover, but I guess that the ridiculous £25 ticket price was to get our budget forecast up for what must be turning into quite a high wage bill.
It's a very low wage bill. If you were still about instead of sulking off you would of seen we £500.000 better off on wages than this time last year
ahounsell

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 15:09:45 »

It's a very low wage bill. If you were still about instead of sulking off you would of seen we £500.000 better off on wages than this time last year

No doubt it is lower than last year but that doesnt mean it is necessarily a "very low" wage bill. In fact Id expect its one of if not the highest in the division.

Wray himself said the cap was the reason for the £25 ticket prices so we obvously dont have a lot of room for manouevre.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 15:34:43 »

Wray himself said the cap was the reason for the £25 ticket prices so we obvously dont have a lot of room for manouevre.

Didn't Wray himself mention having about two pennies to rub together left in the budget. Something like that.

Not sure what happens with the Clark situation in regards to this?
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 16:03:10 »

I know we have the supporters club fund raising but do we raise money by outside methods? Years ago the club used to hand out scratch cards to fans and then you were classed as a selling agent. For every winner you had in your batch to sell you were given a percentage of that amount. Think the highest winning amount was £1,000 does anyone else remember or sell those type of cards ? A lot of people I know used to sell them all over the county so would imagine it made a small but useful difference to the clubs funds.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 16:20:32 »

Was a bit disappointed with the attendance on Saturday, it was 500 up on the Rotherham game but almost 1,500 down from our opener against Crewe. Was expecting the live sky game to be down but thought it would of been back up around the 7,500 Mark. Our home form has been good with some nice football being played so does that mean unless we are up in the top six we should expect less than 7,000 most home games ? I know the match day prices are high but do you think the club would of expected bigger attendances and if so will they drop prices to achieve the numbers they have in mind ?

It's what usually happens, that the dawn at the start of the season, might bring some fresh enthusiasm, and a decent gate, then a dodgy start knocks gates down.

The fact that our gate stands up against most of the rest in L1 and 2, just shows that lower league football is heading for a spot of bother in the banker's recession. Social habits change....I never thought I'd see the day that decent pubs and working men's clubs were shutting by the dozens, as I'd always assumed that the working man, needed to go out and drink as he'd always done....

Much the same with football...I'd always assumed, people interested in football would support their local team, as they'd always done...but sadly not any more. We're heading for Spain/Italy situation where most people follow one of a big 2 or 3 clubs, making the odd investment in a bit of merchandise.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 16:30:49 »

It really irks me to see local people who are obviously into football spending the whole of a Saturday in the pub spending shit loads on beer with their Man.u, Chelsea, arsenal shirts on watching sky score centre on tv, I just don't get it ! But when you suggest they come to a Town game they normally reply:" I ain't watching that shit "  and "why do you go and watch that shit" suppose it's called being a supporter.
Muffin Man

« Reply #280 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 16:44:51 »

It really irks me to see local people who are obviously into football spending the whole of a Saturday in the pub spending shit loads on beer with their Man.u, Chelsea, arsenal shirts on watching sky score centre on tv, I just don't get it ! But when you suggest they come to a Town game they normally reply:" I ain't watching that shit "  and "why do you go and watch that shit" suppose it's called being a supporter.

I agree totally but there is another point here which most lower league fans seem to miss totally.......

These Man Ure/Cheskli/Arse fans etc DO support thier team, many of them have grown up supporting these teams even if they don't live anywhere near the town/cities that they follow.

That doesnt mean that they dont actually support their own teams, because they obviously do, even if its from afar or in a pub etc, its still THEIR team.

If I lived in Manchester and one of my Man Ure supporting mates asked me if I wanted to go along and support my local team (lets say Man Ure) I would categorically say no I don't want to watch them because they are not my side, even if I lived there.

Why is it so different with the armchair fans supporting other clubs?

We need to get them supporting us from an early age, at school, give them incentives to follow us (as well as bigger sides which is inevitable) but a lot of these youngsters dont want to follow a team that arent doing well, this has always been the case........wel since the 70's anyway.

We as fans of Swindon need to spread the word and make sure that these fans of other clubs come along every now and again to games to see what its like at the CG/Away games, even if its just to put a few extra pennies in the coffers at home games.

We wont ever understand them supporting bigger clubs because this is OUR club, but we would all love our club to be successful and all they have done is tagged on in the past to a successful club and stayed with them, if we become good then maybe some of these fans will come our way? you never know!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 17:06:26 »

Fact is we had two home games in a week,people without a season ticket will pick and choose abit.
Two home games and a match v Crawley in ten days Eek.....although people like to go it just cant be done by many No No
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 17:07:35 »

Has anybody else noticed what our terrible local paper has done tonight?  Named Matt Ritchie as star performer on Saturday giving him an 8, whilst they gave McCormack a 9!!  Also each player has a small pic by their name, but two of them just have a pic of their ears!!  And to think we used to moan about the EA years ago - it was far better than today's offerings!
Spencer_White

« Reply #283 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 17:22:57 »

Its just a fashion accessory to those sorts of people.

I agree with Notts Red, it was a dissapointing attendance. You are looking at less than 1,000 home fans on walk up, which is rubbish. Hopefully the fans take up the ticket offers in the next 3 games to show the board what an error they have made.

To say our attendances are good in L2 is fool's gold really. We want to be aiming at competing with clubs at the bottom half of the Championship.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Monday, September 12, 2011, 17:29:33 »

Its just a fashion accessory to those sorts of people.

I agree with Notts Red, it was a dissapointing attendance. You are looking at less than 1,000 home fans on walk up, which is rubbish. Hopefully the fans take up the ticket offers in the next 3 games to show the board what an error they have made.

To say our attendances are good in L2 is fool's gold really. We want to be aiming at competing with clubs at the bottom half of the Championship.
If we were in the bottom half of the Championship then perhaps we would be? Very few teams would get 5 figure crowds in League Two. FACT.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: