Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Sheffield United Official Matchday Thread  (Read 61952 times)
Wilf Shergold

« Reply #225 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 14:53:21 »

For me, anything that is unique to Swindon will do fine. So for those of a certain age, the lives of many in the town were governed by the hooter. People would say '2nd hooter's gone, better get a move on'. You didn't need a clock.

So wouldn't it be great that a decent sized area of town would know the Town had scored a goal when they heard the hooter go off? I appreciate the decible level would be a fraction of the old 'real' thing, of course, and maybe night-time would need to be quieter.

As for lead out music, surely it's not beyond the whit of man, or XTC anyway, to do a re-write of Senses Working Overtime. Blimey, would've been great yesterday - 'We've got 1-2-3-4-5', etc etc, at the end of the match.

Actually, no goal music would be best, just a giant blast on the hooter.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 14:54:26 »

"targeted at 17-34"!!  What a complete load of tosh, take a look at the average of the support, the 17-34 brigade at still in the pub at 2-50, the older ones are just sat there looking glum faced at the crap forced down their throats from YOUR choice of music (at least I assume it is your choice, cannot think the club would insist on that crap you play!).  Rocking Robin is a big embarrassment in my opinion, no need of his antics on the pitch, of course he should be kept and go around the ground here the kids can have their selfies taken etc., but the haka??
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 14:58:04 »

I'd personally do away with music after goals all together, and also do away with the 'Rockin Robin Haka' obviously, keep him for the kids as is said above, but at 2:45 you would hope there is bit of an atmosphere building (not recently mind) but I don't think your going to get that whilst watching a robin dance around, that we've all seen 100 times before.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 14:58:36 »

I know what ya mean! Damned if you do and all that!

Please bin off the UB 40, which is beyond terrible....trust me on this.

This would be a good replacement

@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:10:32 »

3) Goal music – personally (yes, that’s my own personal opinion) it doesn’t work for me;
This was introduced a few years back as it worked at other clubs. Previous management told me that the club had some sort of connection in the 60’s with Glad all over – hence that being used.

Hate the goal music
Back in the days we had atmosphere, straight after a goal was the best time to have a pop at the visiting fans
That tra la la fuck off chant is surely derived from a piece of music  Hmmm
Perhaps play that  

As for prematch well always gonna be a matter of choice and as ronnie stated hardly anyone of the age group you are targeting is in the ground at that time anyway

But pls rein in the over enthusiastic increase in volume when reading out the team - esp the earlier readouts when no one in the ground - not as if the players names are greeted with a massive cheer these days ( never used to be shouted out so loud in the days they were cheered )

And as many have stated the haka MUST go - embarrassing and a mood killer. Have no doubt the kids love him - just not on the pitch at 2.45
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #230 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:16:00 »

Shauns, thanks for taking the time to explain everything.  It's appreciated.  Yes, you will never please everyone and, with that being the case, it's probably best to cater for the younger, paying public because they are the future (I am an oldie) and should be the target audience.

I'm old enough to remember "Glad All Over" as the goal celebration from 50 odd years ago - and that's where it should have been left! It goes on too long, it's too loud and it drowns out the crowd noise of people celebrating the goal. And whichever of you two it is who does the ridiculously loud "GOOOOOAAAAAL NUUUUMMMMBBBBER ONE, SCORRRRRED BYYYYY PLAYER NUUUUUMMMMMBBBER etc" thing should please stop it now.  It's the height of naffness.  Something more subtle would be a good idea.  Give it some thought.

The UB40 version of "Can't help falling..." is truly awful.  I'd rather not have that song at all, but if we must have it, please play a better version ie Elvis Presley.

As for our friend the feathered fucknugget, we appreciate that the little ones like him and he does a good job with them but the so-called Hakka just goes on too long.  It needs rethinking ie binning.

Thanks for all your efforts getting the PA fixed.  
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:22:37 by Sir Pissalot » Logged
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:19:13 »

Honestly think you are buggered whatever you do now. Personally hate music at goals, then I hate the fact its Palace song. But I guarantee if you were to stop playing it there would be as many people moaning it had gone.

Yep, the goal music does unfortunately seem pretty popular within the DRS, a pretty high % seem to love it.

Rockin Robin is great for inacting with the kids and that should be encouraged but just keep him off the pitch, the haka is cringeworthy and barely raises any appaulase. Any novelty that might have existed wore off seasons ago.

Music tastes are far too selective to please any majority so might as well leave pre-march stuff as it is.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:28:01 »

As long as were scoring goals and winning, then keep the music. Smiley

We have a few grumpy buggers that are stuck in the past.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:29:47 »

I have it on good authority that the next home game we will have a drum, a band, glad it's all over and "goal number one scored by........."
Damn good football though.

Seriously if we don't get another 500 or so regular we will be selling again in January and where will the blame be apportioned ?
Barnard

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:30:59 »

I don't really care about the pre-match music, same with half time.  

'Glad all over' gets on my wick though, Let the crowd celebrate when we've scored. I really don't think we need an orchestrated singalong at that point.  It's all too 'Crystal Palace' for me anyway. If we're going to borrow anything from them, see if we can get a couple of the Crystals in pre-match. that might get people in earlier Smiley   I didn't like 'The mess around' when we'd won a couple of seasons ago either.  Glad that's stopped.

I do like the idea of the railway hooter and a bit of XTC when we run out though.

As for Rocking Robin. It's bizarre enough to be worth keeping.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #235 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:34:08 »

Not too fussed about the rest but the walkout music should be the Elvis version of Falling in Love and no goal music.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:35:58 »

For me, anything that is unique to Swindon will do fine. So for those of a certain age, the lives of many in the town were governed by the hooter. People would say '2nd hooter's gone, better get a move on'. You didn't need a clock.

So wouldn't it be great that a decent sized area of town would know the Town had scored a goal when they heard the hooter go off? I appreciate the decible level would be a fraction of the old 'real' thing, of course, and maybe night-time would need to be quieter.

As for lead out music, surely it's not beyond the whit of man, or XTC anyway, to do a re-write of Senses Working Overtime. Blimey, would've been great yesterday - 'We've got 1-2-3-4-5', etc etc, at the end of the match.

Actually, no goal music would be best, just a giant blast on the hooter.

Could have had Making Plans for Nigel yesterday.

You'll probably remember the days of military marching bands and Farmer's Boy.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:38:02 »

Not too fussed about the rest but the walkout music should be the Elvis version of Falling in Love and no goal music.

Clearly if it has to be that, and there's no great reason why it should be....then the Andy Williams version would be more apropriate.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #238 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:44:52 »

Clearly if it has to be that, and there's no great reason why it should be....then the Andy Williams version would be more apropriate.

Yeah totally agree. All apart from the fact that is your opinion, not mine.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Sunday, September 21, 2014, 15:45:33 »

I have it on good authority that the next home game we will have a drum, a band, glad it's all over and "goal number one scored by........."
Damn good football though.

Seriously if we don't get another 500 or so regular we will be selling again in January and where will the blame be apportioned ?
Fair weather fans like you Duke Yes
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: