Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oxford United v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 60316 times)
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 19:55:56 »

I like hysteria after losing to them.it is both right and proper.if people aren't incensed after losing to them thete is something wrong.especially in the manner we keep doing it.it maybe fashionable to be "meh" about it but its not right in my opinion

Yesterday hurt, it was raw but wasn't as bad as in League 2. I've been going to Swindon for around 12 years now and maybe I'm just used to being disappointed in games of high importance (3 Wembley visits, Bristol City 2 seasons ago, multiple Oxford defeats) - I can get over it much quicker now..
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 20:51:00 »

Twenty fours on, and I've not recovered enough to create fully formed keyboard warrior internet ready sentences yet, so here are some bullet type points:

1. The beer in Cowley, supped with old friends (albeit of the other persuasion) was most enjoyable. The pints I didn't have, but considered when seeing a team with Barry, Boo and Rodgers in it, would have been even more pleasurable.

2. Support wise, we were rocking, until the extent of our limp, white flagged, half arsed resistance kicked in, after 10 minutes or so.

3. The first half was dire: they showed marginally more urgency of two very poor sides.  We gave it away or were out-muscled or made the wrong decisions, more cheaply, more niavely and more frustrating than ever.  Try as I might, I still couldn't put it down to the white hot cauldron of rancour, bitterness and 14 years olds waving lots of flags.

4.  I thought live that it was a penalty, what with being bang in line and all.  However, it just goes to prove that sometimes telly can show a different story - so no wonder absolutely everyone else in the ground was surprised.

5. I don't think ive ever seen a team, especially at home, set up where the main function of the central striker is to stop the opposition libero from playing. Worked though, and we didn't adapt until we had to, with four at the back.  Last week we played so much through Thompson, Rodgers (I know)  and then into Goddard on the half turn (OK, we didn't create bundles, but we largely controlled the game by retaining the ball).  Yesterday, with them cutting supply off at source, we really struggled to play through the thirds...I thought we should have switched to a four to get Nathan on the ball, but as Luke suggested, our game plan consisted of hanging on at 0-0 until we could get some players on to win it.  Such limited ambition, against the very very ordinary southern league upstarts, was dispiriting. Credit to them for realising they didn't have to actually create anything to win - wait for our mistakes and voila.

6. 5 was a bit long for a single bullet.

7. Much as though I endeavour to support our players at all times, maybe the best support I could offer would be to highlight the weaknesses, such as they might improve in the future, thus maximising the enthusiasm of my ongoing encouragement.  However, as I have to go to work tomorrow, you'll have to imagine me shaking my head and muttering at the considerable individual and collective shortcomings (Vigs until, Nathan, Yaser and Obika are exempt). Otherwise I could be here for some time.

8. As previously acknowledged, our 'model' seems to attract a ridiculous number of yellow (and red) cards for pointless, petulant offences.  How many yesterday?  For what? Why?  Sort it out chaps.

9. Though we weren't at our most thrillingly cutting thrust in an attacking sense, when we did fashion chances or let their lardarsed 25 stone clod footed defenders do it for us ), we lacked conviction. If you thought that last week's comedy own goal at Peterborough, (proving that if you don't buy a ticket you won't win the raffle), might have encouraged us to you know, put it in the mixer and hope for the best just occasionally, then you'll have come away a tad disappointed. You don't actually literally have to walk the ball over the line to score, and I'm not sure where those goals are coming from.

10. When I go to work I remember to take my laptop, my name badge and sometimes my sandwiches. I try my best to ensure I am dressed appropriately for the task in hand. So why oh why is it ok for our players to turn up on a soaking wet pitch IN THEIR BLOODY SLIPPERS?  Perhaps they might have noticed that it was raining or that the pitch was a touch slippy WHEN THEY WARMED UP ON IT FOR HALF A CHUFFIN HOUR.

11.  I'd absolutely not planned on going to Tuesday's game, but for other reasons, now I will.  I'd like to think that the club would respond with a 'you know what, we're going to learn and try to put this right. Here, Chelsea, take this' and put our strongest team out to batter them.  That we won't and that it'll be a walking pace friendly without anyone waving flags or smashing toilets up or shouting bad things is probably a good thing. But as a fan, what I wouldn't do for a bit of ROOOAAAAAR right now
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 20:57:12 »

quite 'enjoyed' reading that write up Christy. thanks.

will not be doing 11 though, obviously
justboiledover

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 22:56:26 »

Agree with much of what has been posted above (some nice points Christy - I'll not be doing 11 either though). I'm not mad with anger, but will admit to being thoroughly pissed off. However, as I drift towards putting a bad weekend to bed, reflecting on my first visit to the Kassam:

I fucking love my county ground!

- six in a row, keep it. Wouldn't swap for all the beer in Burton!
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, September 11, 2016, 23:10:34 »

There is no reason to turn up on Tuesday. Fuck that.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 06:48:49 »

There is no reason to turn up on Tuesday. Fuck that.
We will not be there either, not selling my soul to that trophy!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 07:55:47 »

No need to turn up, but it is quite handy to have some sort of match that can be used as a friendly, to play the XI that will start v Bury and hopefully get a striker or 2 on the score sheet and some game time for Branco, Obika and a lesser extent Yaser.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 08:17:35 »

No need to turn up, but it is quite handy to have some sort of match that can be used as a friendly, to play the XI that will start v Bury and hopefully get a striker or 2 on the score sheet and some game time for Branco, Obika and a lesser extent Yaser.
From a team perspective you're absolutely right Reg. From a fan perspective, let's hope everyone treats it as a "behind closed doors" friendly
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 08:37:05 »

From a team perspective you're absolutely right Reg. From a fan perspective, let's hope everyone treats it as a "behind closed doors" friendly

For the hardcore type of fan, a behind closed doors game, is just the sort of challenge you want to into. Let's face it, there are some possibly a bit OCD, who  have a need.

I'd imagine Saturday will knock a few off the gate, hopefully it will be fewer than 500 Town fans.  As for plastic Chelsea types, not really much of an attraction as none of these will ever play for the first XI. I suppose attendance might be something you can brag about to try and gain some credibuility.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 12, 2016, 08:45:18 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Panda Paws

« Reply #249 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 08:56:49 »

We were always going to get done on Saturday and from a distance, on the highlights only, it seemed two unfortunate incidents gifted them two goals. Really don't think Vigs can be blamed for the second.

In general, when I've seen us this year we've looked good. And the squad is much stronger than last year. We've had a very tough start - 4 away including Gills and Pox, and 2 home - so think our league position might be slightly misleading, but Bury at home is now a big big game. If we've got any ideas of a top 8/10 finish, which we absolutely must do, then Bury at home, with the form we're in at home, and Obika and Kassim both fully fit, is a game we should be winning.

Think Saturday might at last be the day the majority get their wishes and Rodgers is dropped - go with Kasim holding behind Doughty and Murray. Obika and Norris up top. Thomas, Thompson and JSW at the back. There's no doubting that is good side.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 12, 2016, 14:08:26 by Panda Paws » Logged
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 09:32:46 »

We were always going to get done on Saturday and from a distance, on the highlights only, it seemed two unfortunate incidents gifted them two goals. Really don't think Vigs can be blamed for the second.

In general, when I've seen us this year we've looked good. And the squad is much stronger than last year. We've had a very tough start - 4 away including Gills and Pox, and 2 home - so think out league position might be slightly misleading, but Bury at home is now a big big game. If we've got and ideas of a top 8/10 finish, which we absolutely must do, then Bury at home, with the form we're in at home, and Obika and Kassim both fully fit, is a game we should be winning.

Think Saturday might at last be the day the majority get there wishes and Rodgers is dropped - go with Kasim holding behing Doughty and Murray. Obika and Norris up top. Thomas, Thompson and JSW at the back. There's no doubting that is good side.

You're right about Bury being a big game, and saying we've a stronger squad in terms of numbers, nevertheless wrong about it being a game we should be winning.  It's a game we maybe can win, but will only do so, by displaying the sort of battling qualities lacking on Saturday. We lost to Bury at the CG as recently as mid April.

Opposition managers, know how to play against us, and we're not that good that we can just impose on the opposition.
Panda Paws

« Reply #251 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 10:47:18 »

You're right about Bury being a big game, and saying we've a stronger squad in terms of numbers, nevertheless wrong about it being a game we should be winning.  It's a game we maybe can win, but will only do so, by displaying the sort of battling qualities lacking on Saturday. We lost to Bury at the CG as recently as mid April.

Opposition managers, know how to play against us, and we're not that good that we can just impose on the opposition.

It's a game we should be winning if we have any real idea of challenging the top third of the table. It's certainly not a game we have any right to win, nor are we, at this stage, better or worse than Bury.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 11:27:27 »

It's a game we should be winning if we have any real idea of challenging the top third of the table. It's certainly not a game we have any right to win, nor are we, at this stage, better or worse than Bury.

I see it is a game we can win if we play well and compete. It's a big game as it will affect confidence, and where we're heading this season, so a win and we look upwards, a defeat and doubt starts to creep in. A draw, neither here or there.

My main worry is that probably Doughty is the only player enhancing his reputation atm. The same would apply to the management set up.....big improvements needed all round.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 13:48:13 »

Did any of you see the 60 minutes of the game against rovers? I thought we were quite good. I really don't think we're at crisis point yet.

Sent from my iPhone

Never knowingly overstated.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Monday, September 12, 2016, 14:17:50 »

So, just the 1-game ban for Vigs, then. Bonus.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: