Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Matt Ritchie - Bournemouth  (Read 13996 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 19:53:41 »

Some clubs have a bigger fan base and history than others but we need to give these clubs and their fans the respect they deserve because they did it where it matters - on the pitch. At the moment Stevenage are a bigger club than us because of their position, we are in danger of adapting the very attitude that we accused Leeds fans of when they were in Div1 with us.
You're having a laugh aren't you?

Because for one season they are above us they are bigger than us? I get you're point that it's all relative but, seriously, Stevenage will never ever be a bigger club than Swindon. And by the same token Swindon will never ever be bigger than Leeds. Anyone who really believed that we were bigger than them because we were, briefly, above them in the league is deluded. I think what you mean is that Leeds fans were arrogant - and they were justified in being arrogant because of their past glories (I'm old enough to remember them when they were the best team in England).........and we can, understandably, be arrogant in this league as well. And justifiably so as well.

At the end of the day whether a club is classed as "big" or not depends on the average fan's perception of that team based on their history. Leeds in League 1 were a big big club. Swindon in League 2 are a big club.

Oxford  :gay:, on the other hand, will always be minnows and rightly so. Girl Giggle
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 20:03:20 »

My Boxing Day visit to Rushden & Diamonds a few years back was ruined not just by the result and the weather, but also by a prize fool in the row in front who spend the whole game making the point that R&D had a set up and infrastructure that we could only dream of and that they were going to leave us standing.  A bit of perspective is needed.  Exiled Bob is absolutely right.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 20:33:10 »

You're having a laugh aren't you?

Because for one season they are above us they are bigger than us? I get you're point that it's all relative but, seriously, Stevenage will never ever be a bigger club than Swindon. And by the same token Swindon will never ever be bigger than Leeds. Anyone who really believed that we were bigger than them because we were, briefly, above them in the league is deluded. I think what you mean is that Leeds fans were arrogant - and they were justified in being arrogant because of their past glories (I'm old enough to remember them when they were the best team in England).........and we can, understandably, be arrogant in this league as well. And justifiably so as well.

At the end of the day whether a club is classed as "big" or not depends on the average fan's perception of that team based on their history. Leeds in League 1 were a big big club. Swindon in League 2 are a big club.

Oxford  :gay:, on the other hand, will always be minnows and rightly so. Girl Giggle

Think what FAT was saying was that we have no right to be arrogant,and i agree with him,wasnt that long ago we were bigger than Reading if i remember.
I agree with Bob that we are a big fish in lge 2 but am not in agreement with him on us being justified in being arrogant about it.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 20:43:50 »

We can be arrogant because we know we are bigger than the rest. It's why the other teams want to win so much against us. Just like Leeds fans knew they were bigger than us and why we wanted to beat them so much.

We are justified because our history tells us that we are right. It doesn't necessarily mean that we are better than the rest though. That's where it all falls down..........and where others get so much joy in beating us.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 20:57:17 »

I get your point Bob but i despise the attitude of SOME Leeds fans....and i really wouldn't us to get a reputation like that to be honest.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 21:01:26 »

Agree leefer, talk about big egos !
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 21:03:55 »

We can be arrogant because we know we are bigger than the rest. It's why the other teams want to win so much against us. Just like Leeds fans knew they were bigger than us and why we wanted to beat them so much.

We are justified because our history tells us that we are right. It doesn't necessarily mean that we are better than the rest though. That's where it all falls down..........and where others get so much joy in beating us.

Of course it's all about opinions...and sometimes, as in this case, there's nothing to back them up.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 21:10:53 »

Of course it's all about opinions...and sometimes, as in this case, there's nothing to back them up.
Except for the history of the club...........and each fan's perception of a club based on that history.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 21:57:29 »

Except for the history of the club...........and each fan's perception of a club based on that history.

So what you're saying is that, if fan x thinks, say Bury are bigger than Swindon he must be right, because that's his perception, even though fan y, may think Swindon are bigger than Bury....surely they can't both be right.
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 22:34:39 »

So what you're saying is that, if fan x thinks, say Bury are bigger than Swindon he must be right, because that's his perception, even though fan y, may think Swindon are bigger than Bury....surely they can't both be right.
They can both be right as far as each one is concerned because it's their opinion, based on their perception of their club.

In reality, of course, they both can't be right........

The Bury v Swindon one is interesting because Bury are, historically, a bigger club than Swindon if you are going on cup wins, league positions, etc.... However, you ask any current Swindon fan who is the biggest and the overwhelming majority will say Swindon. And over the last 20 -30 years or so they would be right.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 22:38:17 »

They can both be right as far as each one is concerned because it's their opinion, based on their perception of their club.

In reality, of course, they both can't be right........

The Bury v Swindon one is interesting because Bury are, historically, a bigger club than Swindon if you are going on cup wins, league positions, etc.... However, you ask any current Swindon fan who is the biggest and the overwhelming majority will say Swindon. And over the last 20 -30 years or so they would be right.

But over how long a period can you class it before in your example Swindon are classed as a bigger club then Bury?

If Bury are in decline and we spend another 20-30 seasons above them does that make us bigger?
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 22:45:08 »

But over how long a period can you class it before in your example Swindon are classed as a bigger club then Bury?

If Bury are in decline and we spend another 20-30 seasons above them does that make us bigger?
Well obviously - if we spend the next 20-30 years in the top flight, win the league a couple of times, throw in tha FA cup and the odd European trophy..........
slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 22:59:00 »

Well obviously - if we spend the next 20-30 years in the top flight, win the league a couple of times, throw in tha FA cup and the odd European trophy..........

Fishing.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, December 1, 2011, 07:49:29 »

It's a pretty pointless argument. What does it matter who is the bigger club ?  If it's so the fans have bragging rights, go and support a Premier League giant.

No one-eyed lower division club supporter is ever going to change their opinion, and as Reg points out not everyone can be right.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, December 3, 2011, 12:54:16 »

My Boxing Day visit to Rushden & Diamonds a few years back was ruined not just by the result and the weather, but also by a prize fool in the row in front who spend the whole game making the point that R&D had a set up and infrastructure that we could only dream of and that they were going to leave us standing.  A bit of perspective is needed.  Exiled Bob is absolutely right.

The Diamond burger was nice though.  And I got some DMs cheap.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: