Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 125   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 120+ pages. It may give you Sheena Easton's icey black heart. Can you manage it?  (Read 259001 times)
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1770 on: Friday, December 19, 2008, 21:33:17 »

God knows which thread to put this in now...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_utd/7791020.stm

I want to contribute to Sheffield United this season and if I can do that come the latter end, then that's great.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1771 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 10:28:25 »

well, Im in VIP today so I will do some investigating and rummaging that is worthy of this thread.

If i see any prospective managers in the exec area i will grill them about sheena.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #1772 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 14:08:05 »

Poncey cheeses.

There are only 4 real cheeses. Cheddar, Stilton, Brie and that holey Swiss one.

And there was Lymeswold.

Lymeswold is a modern but now defunct cheese that was made from pasteurized cow's milk.

It was introduced in 1982. It never took off, though, so production was halted in the early 1990s.

Lymeswold Cheese was a soft cheese like Brie, modelled after French cheeses. In fact, the French market was the primary export target.

Lymeswold was a creation of officials at the Britain's former Milk Marketing Board, through its subsidiary Dairy Crest. The driving force behind it was the Chairman of the Milk Marketing Board at the time, Sir Stephen James Leake Roberts, of Little Wenlock, Shropshire (died 11 June 2002, aged 87.) Many observers agree that the semi-governmental organization had all the business aspects right: the public relations, the marketing, the advertising, the budget. All throughout development, it had been the subject of focus groups, market research and taste tests. But still, the cheese just refused to move off the shelves.

The cheese was formed in plastic PVC moulds.

Some people now say the problem was that the cheese was prematurely sold before it was ripe, to meet the initial demand they had worked to create, and the bad first impression was something the cheese just never overcame. Roberts blamed the failure, apparently, on EU milk quota rules.

History
Brits will often rib Americans by saying they come from "Lymeswold, Wessex" (Lymeswold never having existed as a place, and Wessex not having existed (outside Thomas Hardy's books) since 1066.

There was, however, a Wymeswold in Leicestershire where there were six dairies producing Stilton in the 1920s. The largest one, the London Lane Dairy, was sold to the Milk Marketing Board's Dairy Crest subsidiary in 1962. The Milk Marketing Board, when they were first planning Lymeswold Cheese in the late 1970s, wanted to make in this Wymeswold dairy (which was converted to a dairy in 1910; previously it had been a Primitive Methodist chapel), but realized that the small dairy wouldn't be able to produce their projected demand for the new cheese (in hindsight, it would have done just fine.) One of the first package labels suggested for Lymeswold none-the-less had a church on it modelled after St Mary's in Wymeswold. Sadly, the dairy was closed in 1987, and torn down in 1989. The site is now a nursing home.

Language Notes
Lymeswold is not actually a place name, though it sounds like it. In fact, the cheese had two names: when exported it was called Westminster Blue, because people outside the UK were thought to have difficulty pronouncing Lymeswold, particularly the French - there is no combination of "wo" in French.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #1773 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 14:13:25 »

200 pages anyone?

Go Mex, dig for the goss and let us know!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1774 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 14:27:32 »

There was, however, a Wymeswold in Leicestershire where there were six dairies producing Stilton in the 1920s. The largest one, the London Lane Dairy, was sold to the Milk Marketing Board's Dairy Crest subsidiary in 1962. The Milk Marketing Board, when they were first planning Lymeswold Cheese in the late 1970s, wanted to make in this Wymeswold dairy (which was converted to a dairy in 1910; previously it had been a Primitive Methodist chapel), but realized that the small dairy wouldn't be able to produce their projected demand for the new cheese (in hindsight, it would have done just fine.) One of the first package labels suggested for Lymeswold none-the-less had a church on it modelled after St Mary's in Wymeswold. Sadly, the dairy was closed in 1987, and torn down in 1989. The site is now a nursing home.

Let me know where it is and I'll get a picture of it for this 'most worthy' thread...if you want.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #1775 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 20:38:12 »

well this is what i heard from an ex player (left back)

calderwood was a certainty, forest wanted shitloads of comp. so we went for money, he agreed to contract and then newcastle said they wanted 100 grand, fitton said no. Hockaday was going to take over but fitton got cold feet due to fans reactions to the appointment so turned him down.

fwiw the left back thought it was too early for hockaday to take over.

dont think any of this is new to most of you but it was the best i could do.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1776 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 20:41:24 »

I suppose the fact Hockaday was going to bring in an experienced and pretty damn successful Diretor Of Football didnt make it into the public domain.

Perhaps maybe then the negativity would have been less, not that many of our fans would have heard of the name I got told, which could in all fairness have been total bollocks.

I wasnt anti Hockaday when I first heard his name but did say who he brings in with him could be the key, when the Director of Football got mentioned to me I certainly warmed to the idea.
mexico red

Ignore
« Reply #1777 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 20:43:39 »

keith burkinshaw
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1778 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 20:47:52 »

thats the one, Tottenhams 2nd most successful manager of all time. Also a former chief scout here at Swindon under Ardiles and Hoddle.

Now all of a sudden him, in the director of football role with Hockaday as manager sounds a bit better doesnt it?
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1779 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:14:09 »

thats the one, Tottenhams 2nd most successful manager of all time. Also a former chief scout here at Swindon under Ardiles and Hoddle.

Now all of a sudden him, in the director of football role with Hockaday as manager sounds a bit better doesnt it?

Yes, yes it does.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1780 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:24:55 »

Right now I'd take DV as manager with donkey as DoF. Donkey getting the DoF role as he's the experienced head, with a track record of getting the cyber robins past the opening stages of that thing they do in the summer. And I'd quite like to knee-cap our players*. I'll probably have calmed down in the morning.

* Not really
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:41:05 by pauld » Logged
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #1781 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:35:09 »

Right now I'd take DV as manager with donkey as DoF. Donkey getting the DoF role as he's the experienced head, with a track record of getting the cyber robins past the opening stages of that thing they do in the summer. And I'd quite like to knee-cap our players. I'll probably have calmed down in the morning.

I am more of a 'bigger picture' type person.  So DoF may suit me better.  I think DV has a good handle on the detail as his posts often prove.  So, DV, if you're up for it, we can ask Paul to let Fitton know of our intentions.  We are DV's Realist Army!

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1782 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:46:33 »

Sounds good to me. I guarantee wins against Leyton Orient and Brighton.

Ignore
« Reply #1783 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:47:53 »

i'd take sheena over dv.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1784 on: Saturday, December 20, 2008, 22:55:19 »

i'd take sheena over dv.
Now there's an unpleasant mental picture
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 118 [119] 120 121 122 ... 125   Go Up
Print