Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: England vs Shevchenko Official Matchday thread  (Read 77472 times)
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:14:32 »

First half was shocking, thought we were good in the second half though. Go back to what I said before about confidence, the goal seemed to totally change the way they were playing and that wasn't just down to Ukraine changing their game.

Still don't see the point in Milner, or Young to a lesser degree.

Reckon we should be going with Carroll and Rooney against Italy. Not at all impressed with Welbeck, he might have a good partnership with Rooney at Man Utd but that's with a different team that play different football. The big man up front works well for England, might be old fashioned but if it works why fuck with it.

I know some people don't rate the FIFA rankings, but they've got a predictor for it now. Based on the current Euro results we're currently ranked 3rd in the World behind Spain and Germany with Brazil a distant 13th. Seems a bit fucked up.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:23:50 »

Thought the level of football played by England for all the first half and half the second half was rubbish.  Why is it that the most basic task of passing accurately - even when there is no particular pressure on a player - just doesn't seem to happen.  From the general criticism, I exclude Gerrard who was outstanding again.  I jut don't know about the rest.  I thought Young was better than in the Sweden game, but welbeck was lost mostly.  the back four were the same mish-mash as previously - all of them.  Parker was strong, Milner completely ineffective.  Trouble is I can't see who could make the difference, either in the squad or beyond it.

I fear they will/would be torn apart by Spain or Germany.  Lets hope Italy are as pedestrian as they were last night.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:29:36 »

Rooney and Carroll for the Q/F would be my choice too but I'm happy to trust that Hodgson has got his selections right and fair play to him for dampening down quite a few of the doubters. Winning when not at your best can sometimes be a good thing but think we will now have to step up a level to go on to the Semi's.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:34:13 by Notts red » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, June 19, 2012, 23:30:44 »

Well, we are through and won the group....job done!

First half was a stifling exercise that worked well.

Milner piss poor all game, young decided that it was better to stay on his feet and improved...Rooney looked like he was back from injury after a two year lay off rather than a two game ban.

Bring on the Italians......who knows...it's cup football after all.

Clems Army!
Coca Fola

« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 01:50:37 »

Getting to the quarter finals is a success. Can't see us beating Italy to be honest.
Spud

« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 05:34:11 »

Getting to the quarter finals is a success. Can't see us beating Italy to be honest.

I think we've got a great chance, especially with Chiellini injured for Sunday.
Uncletrunx

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:08:32 »

Rooney looked extremely rusty but did the thing he's there for. Well, one of them; his hold up play and ball retention was below par all night and at this level you expect better.

He's becoming the new John Barnes; brilliant for his club, never matching it at international level.

"Absolute Calamity!"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:19:09 »

Agreed, getting through the group stage as winners exceeds my expectations.

As Sweden showed against France, anything is possible as most teams are evenly matched.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:19:34 »

Post deleted because many people did not like me putting my honest opinion of it on here, I will not do it again so don't worry that I was a little critical.

England won we were great end of subject.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:51:22 by JJEdmunds » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:31:46 »

Jesus JJ, does anything please you?

From that scathing assessment you'd think we lost 3-0. We won. Be happy with it.
DRS

« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:36:37 »

I would of prefered it tbh if we had finished top of the group by 3 points,top goalscores and joint less goals conceded
Spud

« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:43:27 »

Jesus JJ, does anything please you?

From that scathing assessment you'd think we lost 3-0. We won. Be happy with it.

Spot on!

We've won the group and haven't played like Spain.....Nevermind eh?
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 06:52:36 »

Fair play to England a group win at these championships are a great result. No doubt Roy has the team mores organised, yeah the tactics aren't particularly easy on the eye or as euro friendly of his predecessors style of football, but I always thought it was wrong to try and copy the Europeans' style. British teams fair better when you play the British way.

England haven't really got going and are safely through the groups, unbeaten. Anything could happen from here in. Will enjoy the quarters.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 07:02:46 »

British teams fair better when you play the British way.

True. I think another part of the equation is that Rooney/Gerrard aside there are no superstar ego and no expectations from the fans. Instead of going out thinking we can outdo the opposition for skill  we go out onto the pitch trying to outdo the opposition as a team, with hard work and discipline.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Wednesday, June 20, 2012, 07:42:05 »

Ah yes, forgot about Milner. Started against France and Ukraine and was shocking in both. Is he more of a natural central midfielder? He's hopeless out on the right. Where does he play for Man City, and how does he get into their side?

I'd also consider Carroll/Rooney in the next game, and I think Hodgson is probably thinking about it too after last night. I think he dropped a little nugget after the Sweden goal that Welbeck certainly isn't considered a regular starter. So those two up front, Walcott on the right, and the rest as it was please.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: