Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: thewashbag.com 2011/12 League Two Rankings  (Read 4573 times)
the washbag

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 07:55:58 »

Throughout this season we’ll be analysing all teams in League Two and attempting to put some reason behind League form and position in the form of a ranking system on the key defensive and attacking phases of play.

Our first review is now posted, analysing the defensive efficency and providing an overall defensive ranking.

After witnessing Lanzano's blunder at Burton on Saturday, if Di Canio wants statistical confirmation our where our problems lie and how to fix it, then it couldn't get any more clearer than what the stats reveal...

9 games - Defence: http://thewashbag.com/2011/09/20/league-two-rankings-the-defence/

9 games - Attacking and overall: http://thewashbag.com/2011/09/21/league-two-rankings-attacking-and-overall-after-9-games/
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 07:24:49 by the washbag » Logged

jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 08:09:39 »

Great stuff, cheers.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 08:13:06 »

Good stuff washbag, they show us a pretty strong defensively.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 08:25:10 »

A great read, as ever.  Sobering conclusion about the keepers though.  No need to panic yet...Lanzano is going to take time to settle.  But the analysis shows we'll need tighten up there very soon if we are going to be serious promotion contenders.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 09:54:31 »

Good article but its a bit flawed in analysis over this few games.

Namely the one thing that can't be recorded is quality. For example, we on average allow 2.75 shots on goal, of which 61.54% are saved.

What it doesn't show is the quality of shot that isn't saved. I'd imagine a fair few are "point blank free header from set piece" - which are hard to save and don't show in the defensive stats either (OK, and a couple of "keeper spazzed it").

Now somebody with a 90% shot save average may have had hardly any "free headers" to save, thus making it more likely for him to save it. Which may or may not be similar to Phil Smith/Matt lez'no % saved in the same position.

Good read, but impossible to compare apples with pares.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:01:54 »

Especially as no one has any idea what 'pares' are.

Never knowingly overstated.
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:16:39 »

Good article but its a bit flawed in analysis over this few games.

Namely the one thing that can't be recorded is quality. For example, we on average allow 2.75 shots on goal, of which 61.54% are saved.

What it doesn't show is the quality of shot that isn't saved. I'd imagine a fair few are "point blank free header from set piece" - which are hard to save and don't show in the defensive stats either (OK, and a couple of "keeper spazzed it").

Now somebody with a 90% shot save average may have had hardly any "free headers" to save, thus making it more likely for him to save it. Which may or may not be similar to Phil Smith/Matt lez'no % saved in the same position.

Good read, but impossible to compare apples with pares.

This isn't aiming to be a qualitative review of the quality of each individual chance, shot, save, corner etc.

While Roche in the Morecambe goal may have more easier chances to save that's not really the point of the defensive analysis, which looks at 5 key defensive statistics.

And anyway the effectiveness of the opposition strikes keepers face is taken into account in the attacking rankings tomorrow and how both translate in the overall rankings.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:47:22 »

Wasn't criticising the article since it states factual statistics, just that I think its not really fair to come to the conclusion that the article shows the keepers are shit. Perhaps I should have quoted Ardiles post.

They have been shit mind Smiley
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:50:12 by Batch » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:48:28 »

They're a new type of pear. You should try one.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:50:00 »

Im a new type of annoying smart arse.  I should try not to be!

Never knowingly overstated.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 10:50:29 »

Im a new type of annoying smart arse.  I should try not to be!
I'm Wink
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 11:00:51 »

Wasn't criticising the article since it states factual statistics, just that I think its not really fair to come to the conclusion that the article shows the keepers are shit. Perhaps I should have quoted Ardiles post.

They have been shit mind Smiley

Fair play. Since this is only based on nine games the stats need to be takern with a pinch of salt at the present time, but as the season develops they will be a more accurate reflection of the overall qualities of each team.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 11:06:40 »

Fair play. Since this is only based on nine games the stats need to be takern with a pinch of salt at the present time, but as the season develops they will be a more accurate reflection of the overall qualities of each team.

Definitely will be very interesting long term.

The fact we rank so well with the shots against is an encouraging sign. Particularly when you think of all those set pieces we can't defend and goalkeeper errors. It backs up what people have said on the season thus far, if we can cut out the set piece goals we'll be laughing.

Now watch us make a mockery of those stats on Saturday Sad!
Coca Fola

« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 14:26:16 »

Let's sign Barry Roche.
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 20, 2011, 17:01:46 »

Clap
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: