Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Work - What To Do  (Read 3972 times)
sonic youth

« Reply #30 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 23:11:27 »

my gcses are so shit that i shouldn't be anywhere near a-levels. nobody gives a fuck about them.

academic achievements are worthless in the grand scheme of things.

i'd suggest that after finishing your gcses take a year out. find a shit job to get a bit of cash but spend as much time as possible just enjoying yourself, reassess the situation when the time comes and you should have a better idea of what you want to do. don't fall into the trap of neverending academia, it's not neccesary for everyone to go from secondary school to college and from college to university.

i could have ended up going in a total different direction with my life, i'm glad i didn't and this is how it's turned out. i doubt anyone would aspire to be me, so i'm not sure why i'm giving anyone advice.
flammableBen

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 23:38:27 »

Quote from: "sonic youth"
don't fall into the trap of neverending academia, it's not neccesary for everyone to go from secondary school to college and from college to university.

That's good advice for anybody. Look how I turned out.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 23:40:37 »

i went through a levels, university and then started as a temp in a warehouse, still working in the same place 5 years on.
red macca

« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 23:42:52 »

I was shit at school then did fuck all for 6 years and now im doing quite well.Qualifications mean shit really these days unless you have a qualification in the line of work you want to get into
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 23:45:29 »

I left school, did college, uni and now I'm still studying whilst doing full time work. Careers/jobs/study can pan out different ways. I wasn't even going to go to uni but applied in case. There isn't a 'right' way to do things unless you want to be a doctor or something like that.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 08:24:52 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
Quote from: "sonic youth"
don't fall into the trap of neverending academia, it's not neccesary for everyone to go from secondary school to college and from college to university.

That's good advice for anybody. Look how I turned out.

A drunken low-life?

But seriously though, Sonic makes a good point.

I went to college and did quite well, got 3 good A-levels. I had a place at Uni confirmed but I decided against it and turned it down. My Dad gave me shit for ages about it and I still don't really speak to him these days, everytime I do he constantly reminds me about what a failure I am and that I should have gone to Uni.

At the end of the day, I'm earning a decent(ish) wage which allows me to pay the bills and still live a good life. That's all I want really.

So STFC4LIFE, just do what you want - don't let anybody else tell you what to do.
mattboyslim

« Reply #36 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 08:45:01 »

Quote from: "sam_stfc"

So STFC4LIFE, just do what you want - don't let anybody else tell you what to do.

Exactly, I did Uni, changed course after a year and since graduating have done various temp jobs for two years before starting a job in September coupled with a part time Uni course.  I am really happy with the job i have to go to but if I hadn't got it I'd have been pretty lost - despite being well qualified.  Don't make too rash a decision, you're really young and your plans change loads.  Don't rule yourself out of anything, and I'm sure any academic qualifications you need to do a trade can be easily done thru night school etc.  If you're doing a trade I bet it'll be tons easier to get any qualifications that way just because the incentive is greater and you'll be able to see why you need it.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 10:52:36 »

Do some revision instead of using internet forums Wink

I come from a land down-under
Sade

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 13:12:58 »

I recommend College if you know your actually genuinely interested in the course and know you'll stick to it. Alot of my friends really enjoyed college.

Personally I did a part time course at college, it was shit and boring but its got me where I wanna be now so I'm not complaining!

RED ARMY
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 13:16:03 »

I went to College and regretted it, I hated education and I was doing the subject because I could doss around a bit. I did learn a bit but it's not what I wanted to do. Not really an education person, I'm more than bright enough my GCSE's were good but I was really unhappy at college so took the a level and a half I had and went to work instead.

Wish I'd thought about it more now really, but I'm happy now and my job is pretty decent for my age. Although I'm tempted to go back to college part time.
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 17:37:16 »

Had the test today that I need to pass to get on the training/apprenticesip programme.
It didn't go to badly, I didn't finish it but thats mainly because I made sure the questions I did do I tried to get correct.
Also, accoring to the women, GCSE results don't make much of a difference.
stfc11

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 20:39:31 »

I left school last year and have just finished my first year of college, don't really like it to be honest but if you look at it right now i'm doing three A-Levels which is 15 hours a week! Not too bad! What i'd say is seriously consider some college courses, it's not always about grades sometimes it's about your attitude towards it and why you want to do it, if you say you have a genuine intrest in it i reckon you could get on quite a few courses. So look at some college courses if any grab you sign up for them, then go to college, if you don't like it, you could always drop out and get a job and look at your options maybe look at getting an apprenticeship, and if you do like it, stick at college, get a part time job so you've got some money and then look at your situation again in a couple of years, it's always easy to drop courses so you could always sign up to 3 or 4 and then if you don't like it drop it, or change in your second year. Just try everything thats open to you and then see where you end up. Smiley
manc red

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 21:45:13 »

Since school ive always followed similar subjects through my A levels and now degree.  While applying for graduate jobs this year ive been suprised by how many companies still want to know what you got in your GCSE's.  Id always considered that you were only as good as your last qualification but that seems untrue.  

I guess it maybe different though if you chop and change subjects between qualifications.  I know this sounds old fashioned but you just have to consider what you enjoy doing and find a way to make a living off something slightly related to that if possible. Thats what i think anyway.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 22:22:39 »

what did you study manc red?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 22:33:10 »

sorry i nodded off there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print