Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Crewe Alexandra Official Matchday Thread  (Read 38565 times)
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:02:12 »

Was Woolery playing poorly? Seen a few people on Twitter saying he was doing alright.

Hope this isn't another Flitcroft fall out in the making.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:02:50 »

Woolery was tactical then

That was clear at the time, which was why it was so demeaning - should have waited a few minutes until half time to make it, then at least you have a chance to explain it to the player.  Norris didn't add anything, so assume he was trying to go longer than we were already going.  He's just too keen to make it look like he is a tactical genius.  The one sub that made the difference was the one everyone watching would have made - Elsnik.
Panda Paws

« Reply #152 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:06:25 »

Hmmm could have waited the extra 2 mins and taken him off at half time rather than giving him the embarressment of being a first half substitute IMO.

It wasn’t two minutes, it was more like 5-6 before half time and DF said he should have done it earlier. Woolery wasn’t doing what was asked of him. Why keep him on for another 5 mins to spare his feelings? No idea how DF can get pelters for the subs. We always moan when managers don’t make changes early, but now he did, it was a bit mean?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:11:44 »

Papering over the cracks.

Not read back much yet,  but this caught my eye and I normally roll my eyes a bit and tut at such comments after a win. But not this time, because you are potentially absolutely right. Let me explain, no point in a match report doing so.

The first 10 minutes we were excellent. Thereafter we went to dogshit. The reason we were successful is because Woolery/Gordon and Iandolo were pushing down the wings with space and running at them. Then Crewe worked it out and pushed forward themselves thus rendering that tactic ineffective. Add in an absolutely dire performance from the back 3 (5)  and it was obvious things weren't going well. Iandolo and Gordon aren't wingbacks, the opposition work it out and attack them. Dunne is piss poor. Sorry, don't want to make scapegoats but he's Pook bad.

The decision to take Woolery off 2 minutes before half time was a shambolic piss poor piece of management. Totally and utterly wrong. Its my opinion that go on to lose the game, this is the straw that would have broken the camels back in the fans eyes. Just do it at half time you utter dick.

The decision to replace Dunne and Iandolo  at half time made sense. Felt it was a big risk with Elsnik just back from injury and Doris being injury prone. But it paid off. Eventually. It wasn't great until we scored our second to be honest.  Crewe being as inept as us at the back, coupled with them going down to 10 men an a superb RCC smothering save at the death bailed Flitcroft out.

So will he finally concede defeat at midfielders as wingbacks, and with Dunne in midfield. Or will he revert to type? We are at a crossroads, and I don't know which way its going (other than Viggsy buggering off for a screwdriver for a couple of years).

I should be extremely happy we won a close game in the last minute of normal time. But I'm kind of not. Happier than losing, but thinking we'll end up well short of autos.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #154 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:13:04 »

Was Woolery playing poorly? Seen a few people on Twitter saying he was doing alright.

Hope this isn't another Flitcroft fall out in the making.
Nope he was playing fairly well IMO.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #155 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:14:52 »

Not read back much yet,  but this caught my eye and I normally roll my eyes a bit and tut at such comments after a win. But not this time, because you are potentially absolutely right. Let me explain, no point in a match report doing so.

The first 10 minutes we were excellent. Thereafter we went to dogshit. The reason we were successful is because Woolery/Gordon and Iandolo were pushing down the wings with space and running at them. Then Crewe worked it out and pushed forward themselves thus rendering that tactic ineffective. Add in an absolutely dire performance from the back 3 (5)  and it was obvious things weren't going well. Iandolo and Gordon aren't wingbacks, the opposition work it out and attack them. Dunne is piss poor. Sorry, don't want to make scapegoats but he's Pook bad.

The decision to take Woolery off 2 minutes before half time was a shambolic piss poor piece of management. Totally and utterly wrong. Its my opinion that go on to lose the game, this is the straw that would have broken the camels back in the fans eyes. Just do it at half time you utter dick.

The decision to replace Dunne and Iandolo  at half time made sense. Felt it was a big risk with Elsnik just back from injury and Doris being injury prone. But it paid off. Eventually. It wasn't great until we scored our second to be honest.  Crewe being as inept as us at the back, coupled with them going down to 10 men an a superb RCC smothering save at the death bailed Flitcroft out.

So will he finally concede defeat at midfielders as wingbacks, and with Dunne in midfield. Or will he revert to type? We are at a crossroads, and I don't know which way its going (other than Viggsy buggering off for a screwdriver for a couple of years).

I should be extremely happy we won a close game in the last minute of normal time. But I'm kind of not. Happier than losing, but thinking we'll end up well short of autos.
Spot on.

Woolery taken off at 42 mins on the clock was done to make a point to Woolery IMO. yes as PP says there was probably 4 or 5 mins including added time but the clock said 42 and Flitcroft wouldn't have known there were 3 mins to be added.

The other 2 subs were spot on.
« Last Edit: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:20:26 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Panda Paws

« Reply #156 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:15:46 »

Why wait if a player is not doing what’s asked and following instructions? Just don’t get it. He was subbed on 40, giving Norris 5+ mins to get up so speed before half time. That’s more important than Kaiyne’s feelings.

Bonkers thing to be slagging DF off for in my book. There was a reason. He gave that reason. We won and the subs paid off.
Flashheart

« Reply #157 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:19:40 »

I'll take papering over the cracks if it gets us up.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #158 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:21:18 »

I'll take papering over the cracks if it gets us up.
There are indeed large cracks but there are a lot of big plusses too, Elsniks return and Richards over all performance being 2 of them.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:35:06 »

Why wait if a player is not doing what’s asked and following instructions? Just don’t get it. He was subbed on 40, giving Norris 5+ mins to get up so speed before half time. That’s more important than Kaiyne’s feelings.

Bonkers thing to be slagging DF off for in my book. There was a reason. He gave that reason. We won and the subs paid off.
seriously? you can't see how it could damage the player? I'll stick by it being piss poor and add that Norris made no impact whatsoever. I'll also stick by the timing being absolutely pointless. get Norris up to speed my arse Flitcroft.

I had the same criticism of Di canio and Connell.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:35:07 »

Anyone who went today and didn't leave feeling thoroughly entertained shouldn't really bother coming back. Lacking in quality? Well yes, it's league fucking 2. 99.9% of games in this division lack quality.
We were losing 3.1 and came back to win 4.3, can't we just enjoy that?  I'd rather get 3 points seeing a game like that.

It's All Good..............
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:36:26 »

It's a squad game these days with 3 subs... any player who is part of the squad shouldn't be too downcast about being subbed, as it is likely done for the greater good.

There are those who slag the manager off, because in this day and age it's what you do.  I think it's justified when incompetence is proved beyond any reasonable doubt given the circumstances.

However take Flitters today there are those calling for his head again, yet we won the game. If we were down with a Chesterfield, a club of similar size, who we've been sort of linked with recently... namely in Div 3 PO's 2 and half seasons ago and relegated last year, it could be understandable.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:37:48 »

Di Canio subbed players in the first half a number of times, including a keeper, but everyone loved him. Flitcroft does it and he’s a cock.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:38:28 »

Quote from: Quagmire
Di Canio subbed players in the first half a number of times, including a keeper, but everyone loved him. Flitcroft does it and he’s a cock.
have you read back when Di canio did it though.

I remember a fair bit of criticism
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, January 27, 2018, 18:41:02 »

Anyone who went today and didn't leave feeling thoroughly entertained shouldn't really bother coming back. Lacking in quality? Well yes, it's league fucking 2. 99.9% of games in this division lack quality.
We were losing 3.1 and came back to win 4.3, can't we just enjoy that?  I'd rather get 3 points seeing a game like that.
Quite right. A most enjoyable 90 mins - plus the late win netted me nearly £230. I must have sat behind RobertT as he was furiously texting after half time!

The defending, or lack thereof, was lamentable, but some of our forward play was very good. Much less hoofing than is usual.

I still don’t get Kellan Gordon.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: