Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Computer Whizzkids?  (Read 1546 times)
walrus

Ignore
« on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 11:50:46 »

My PC is acting up, just to cap a wonderful week really.  It takes longer than normal to load Windows and then when I go to run FM2005 (the only game I have on this PC) it goes to load and the CPU is busy but it never seems to get round to it (left for about 10 minutes).  I've done a virus scan and it's found 5 all of which were quarantined, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Any suggestions as to what this sudden change was caused by and any plans to fix it?!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 14:47:10 »

Seems everyone is having pc trouble at the moment (me included). is it just me or is this site taking AGES to load?

Walrus, go into your task manager and see what processes are using the most cpu, then go from there
Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 17:06:01 »

check for spyware and adware, normally runs without you even knowing and most virus scanners don't picked them up.

Download adware and search & destroy

Delete programs you don't use (using remove programs in the control panel) and then Defrag your hard drive to (start > programs > accessories > system tools > disk defragmentor

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 17:40:55 »

Have made progress, and it seems to be a Trojan Downloader.  (Trojan Downloader.Small.On as reported by Bullguard).  Got rid of Symantec Anti-Virus as I was unable to download updates (presumbly disabled by the virus) and installed Bullguard ver. 5.  Have used Registry Cleaner and Adaware so that's all clean.

I've searched the net but there doesn't seem to be much reported on this trojan.  Will try defraging but the major performance loss I've suddenly experience seems far more reminiscient of a virus of a kind.

I've checked the Processes and there is nothing taking up large amounts of memory which should not be present.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 18:11:24 »

seems you're not the only one with major trouble. my pc has been going skitzo all weekend. done the usual ad-aware/spybot/norton av and even a regscrub. my firewall doesn't show that anything is trying to go outbound either....

am thinking it's a recent virus, possibly one that degrades performance on these types of boards (the only web pages taking ages to load) and msn has gone spastic as well (won't connect)

also, explorer.exe is using crazy amounts of resources again Sad

this really sucks
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 18:13:32 »

Just as i type that...forum speed back up to normal  Cheesy

See how long this will last shall we Bill Gates?
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 18:13:41 »

My computer at home is doing the same ,slow to load pages on here and taking ages to boot up and stuff.If anyone manages to sort the problem could you post an idiots guide on how to fix it please.

/
W56196272
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 18:47:53 »

I took sonicyouth's advice and stuffed a worm in it. it seems to have worked  Wink

Seriously though the problem has randomly disappeared and I've since spoken to others that say they had a similar problem that just went away  :?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 19:04:15 »

even a regscrub.

Don't think I like the sound of that.....
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #9 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 20:02:08 »

I think i figured the slow internet thing. do you use firefox Yeovil? It seems all the bookmarks in the toolbar are the ones that are super-slow. Delete them and the problem disappears!
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 20:04:16 »

Nope

/
W56196272
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 20:05:11 »

doh  :arrow:
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 20:19:48 »

I had the slow problem all day till now. Maybe Dazza will have more info on this.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 7, 2005, 20:25:00 »

I'm thinking it's a server problem, groups of sites seem to be slow at different times. Probably none of our computers, but I thought if Yeovil's had been doing it for a while then it could have been
flammableBen

« Reply #14 on: Sunday, May 8, 2005, 02:35:46 »

I hate computers, and I am doing a computer science degree.
There is a ridiculous amount that can go wrong. But if lots of people are getting problems accessing this site then it's more likely to be this sites server, or some sort of nationwide sorting out of internet exchanges. Unlikely to be a virus which everyone has.... and I'm drunk when saying this, lududu I got some apples etc
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: