Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 ... 1231   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4418320 times)
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #2790 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 08:42:30 »

Agreed it probably is just a job to him, however contrast his behaviour to that of Coxy (who still got his move) and i think we can all see where he went wrong.

But what was the situation at Swindon when Coxy moved on?

TBH, beyond the fact that we lost a great striker, I can't remember much about his move. Was it closed season or mid? Were we descending into the depths of being dogshit, were we mid table or a prospect. I really can't recall (getting old and memory is like a wossname- er, um, thingy).
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #2791 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 10:35:19 »

It was after the 08/09 season had finished, we just about scraped survival after Wilson came in mid season.

Austin will get abuse off a few morons no doubt, I blame his departure on the clubs inability to keep hold and then replace our best players earlier that season. No wonder he was pissed off and wanted out. I remember his time here fondly and he was fucking brilliant for us.

Although Cox is probably a better player, I would rate Austin as a better finisher and arguably it is him who has the best chance of a career at the top level after Cox had a failed spell at West Brom.
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #2792 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 12:05:40 »

Austin wanted to further his career, a decision that has been more than vindicated.

Anyone with a goalscoring record of 37 goals in 65 games for us will get an initial round of applause from me pre-game, as soon as the game starts he will be just another opposition striker.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #2793 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 12:12:25 »

I don't get the level of disgust with Austin.  We picked him up for peanuts, he scored a load of goals for us, we sold him for a tidy sum to a club in a higher league because he had the opportunity to further his career.

I know he has an attitude and asked for a move etc. etc. but so what, wasn't the first andwon't be the last.....  this is football and as Swindon fans we should be well and truly used to it by now.  I will respond to Austin exactly the same as hammer!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
nochee

« Reply #2794 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 12:30:09 »

I'm going to love the bloke as I will be lumping big on him to score against us. I've said it before and i'll say it again, easy money.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2795 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 14:04:33 »

I never understood the rumours, perhaps someone can explain as I am not certain what is true, what is invented and what is sarcasm?

I hope that as a club we continue upwards and become an attractive prospect for a player of Austin's quality. 70ish games for us wasn't nearly enough.
fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #2796 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 14:22:47 »

He did play for and did well, he moved on as have the club.  I will like hammer applaud him before the game for his contribution to the club.

We brought him for peanuts, sold him for about £1.5m and as a regular goalscorer in the championship could well be worth around £5m pretty soon if he keeps going.

Surely Fitton put a sell on clause when he sold him so it is in our interests he goes on and makes the very best of himself ...... This is where someone assures me Fitton put in a sell on clause when we sold him!

I thank him and wish him well.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #2797 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 17:20:01 »

IMO Cox was better than both of them.

I disagree. Cox scored more spectacular goals, and had a bit more to his game but I think Parkin was the better finisher. I would guess 99% of Parkin goals were within the 6yrd box. Cox scored many long rangers for us.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2798 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 17:54:56 »

Parkin was a brilliant footballer. Made the right runs, stood in the right areas, scored lots of goals.

Cox had a shot on him and was capable of spectacular goals.

Austin I would say was/is the most natural finisher of the three. Doesn't possess Parkin's footballing brain or Cox's ability to blast them in from 25 yards, but (nearly) always found the net.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #2799 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 17:59:09 »

Parkin was a brilliant footballer. Made the right runs, stood in the right areas, scored lots of goals.

Austin I would say was/is the most natural finisher of the three. Doesn't possess Parkin's footballing brain or Cox's ability to blast them in from 25 yards, but (nearly) always found the net.
Exactly my thoughts too.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
red sheldon

Ignore
« Reply #2800 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 18:45:49 »

I think Wembley showed the (nearly) to be true, not that i'm still bitter about the bloody pitch 

brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #2801 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 19:01:09 »

I see Leon Clarke has got his 3rd goal in 3 games for Scunthorpe
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #2802 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 19:20:06 »

He did play for and did well, he moved on as have the club.  I will like hammer applaud him before the game for his contribution to the club.

We brought him for peanuts, sold him for about £1.5m and as a regular goalscorer in the championship could well be worth around £5m pretty soon if he keeps going.

Surely Fitton put a sell on clause when he sold him so it is in our interests he goes on and makes the very best of himself ...... This is where someone assures me Fitton put in a sell on clause when we sold him!

I thank him and wish him well.

Bang on....his work rate was/is brilliant and his goals game ratio is outstanding considering many as sub.
Him and Paynter as a double act was as good as we have had in recent years.
Good player and i hope he bangs them in for years.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #2803 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 19:49:11 »

The biggest difference between Parkin & Cox (who are both still liked by everyone) and Austin is the way they left.

Both SSP & Coxy left the club at the end of the season and got their moves to bigger clubs, Austin waited until January (in fact almost the end of) & chucked in a transfer request to attempt to force the club to sell him.   I understand that it's not his fault that we couldn't get a decent replacement in but you always got the feeling that had he have stayed we could (and probably would) have stayed up.

That said, if we had we wouldn't have had the season we had last year
Flashheart

« Reply #2804 on: Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 19:59:48 »

Austin started spitting his dummy out as soon his mate Eddie Howe got the Burnley job.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 186 [187] 188 189 190 ... 1231   Go Up
Print
Jump to: