Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 125   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 150670 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #1455 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 09:22:51 »

It’s the Swindon way. Any success we’ve had over the years has never been built upon. Owner after owner was shortsighted - make a few quid while we can, then get the hell out.

This club grinds you down.
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1456 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 09:28:25 »

It does indeed. In the last 20 years there have been a lot of almost moments, that were swiftly followed by collapse. I'm thinking Wilson and Coopers play off defeat that both were followed with relegation quickly after, when the squads collapsed. PDC/Black obviously. Even Wellens promotion team a few years ago. Brief glimpses followed by disaster.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #1457 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 09:29:51 »

I do wonder with Garner if he sided with Chorley in the disagreement over Zav Austin.

I can imagine him saying to Clem, if Chorley goes, so do I.
If that was the case I’d have a bit more respect for him, but would also suggest he wouldn’t come back if Zav is still around
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #1458 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 09:43:20 »

Yeah, Zav was the reason Chorley left by all accounts.

Amazing how a matchday guest can have so much sway isnt it!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1459 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 09:57:27 »

Will he be sat in the DR stand as well?

At least we know he won't be in a suit. Bloke dresses like he's meeting a mate for a friday early evening pint at his local no matter what the occasion.

Now Iffy Onoura, there was a well dressed manager.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1460 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 10:00:43 »

We’d be stupid to have him back.

Not only did he do us dirty with the timing of talking to Charlton - he’s generally been shit everywhere else apart from 1 season here (and we were still shit at times that season)

Like in all seriousness - does anyone look at our current squad (granted it might look very different come August) & think, yeah Ben fucking Garner could get a decent tune of out of these players…

…because I do not.

Not a way to keep people from walking and protesting with their wallet, is it?

The club are so laughably disconnected with the fans its a comedy show. Razor Ruddock promoting the shite gig they've got as well. What next? Julian Alsop coaching the kids?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1461 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 10:09:30 »

It does indeed. In the last 20 years there have been a lot of almost moments, that were swiftly followed by collapse. I'm thinking Wilson and Coopers play off defeat that both were followed with relegation quickly after, when the squads collapsed. PDC/Black obviously. Even Wellens promotion team a few years ago. Brief glimpses followed by disaster.
It goes back even further than that...
93... if we'd shown a bit more ambition to Hoddle so that he'd stayed for the Prem season
90...best Town team I've personally seen live, gradually disintegrated following the illegal payments debacle
69...probably the best Town side ever...what if we'd built on it instead of breaking it up and selling it off
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1462 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 10:23:30 »

Razor Ruddock promoting the shite gig they've got as well.
Really? Did not know that. That bloke should NEVER EVER be associated with this club ever again. That maybe a trivial thing but it's bloody riled me.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #1463 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 10:29:14 »

Really? Did not know that. That bloke should NEVER EVER be associated with this club ever again. That maybe a trivial thing but it's bloody riled me.

We paid him £40 on Cameo and deleted it ten minutes later when it was politely pointed out that he wasn't the ideal hype man.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1464 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 10:37:04 »

I know Garner is out of work, but he's not an idiot and surely coming back here to manager the club in an even worse situation than when he left is a lose lose for him.

With that said, when he took the job on 3 years ago with only a few footballers in the building and post the Sheridan league 1 Covid season, times weren't great then so maybe he'd like another go under a different challenge.

Unfortunately, such are things at the moment that it doesn't really matter who is managing the club until multiple things are sorted out behind the scenes.  

Its a free hit though, isn't it? make it work and you're a genius. Fail and just tell everyone the clubs a basket case like Jody Morris.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1465 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 11:07:49 »

There is a risk of reputational damage though, especially if you got the tin tack from your last job.

That said, EFL jobs don't grow on trees.

Was never a massive Garner fan, but even if I were I'm not sure he's going to enjoy working under this recruitment model.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1466 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 11:10:12 »

Its a free hit though, isn't it? make it work and you're a genius. Fail and just tell everyone the clubs a basket case like Jody Morris.

I can see why you would say that, but he's now got 3 failed jobs on his CV (Bristol Rovers - can arguably be forgiven as it was his first rodeo) Charlton and Colchester. A third/fourth failure and he's potentially on the managerial scrapheap already regardless of how much of a basket case we are. I wonder if it's really worth it for him.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #1467 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 11:22:04 »

Probably not. But then on the other hand, is he likely to get a manager/head coach job anywhere else? Probably last chance saloon or back to youth football (not that he ever left youth football with his style).
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #1468 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 11:46:35 »

I wouldn't be entirely averse to a return for Garner.

Charlton were arguably a borderline basket case club with an eccentric ownership that didn't exactly back him in the window.
Colchester haven't exactly shot up the league since they got rid of him & if anything have deteriorated.

Yeah, sadly we are in a bottom feeding, barrel scraping phase of club history.
So what would be the bare minumim requirements to build a top 7 squad for next season, dodgy fonts for next home game board, unkempt Rolex, scruffy exterior & all of the other off pitch shite aside?

I'm thinking, in no particular order.
A. Adequate funding.
B. A manager for whom it all just clicks into place.
C. A recruitment strategy geared up to getting out of this league & the right person(s) to drive it.

Looks ok in written form but the reality is very different, even for clubs that have some intent to start with.
Single minded intent plus a bit of cleverness (nous) & a  dollop of luck.
The latter has saved us this season.
The owner needs to grow a big pair in the next 3 or 4 months but don't think that they want to.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #1469 on: Wednesday, April 3, 2024, 11:56:58 »

Why is this even being discussed? 
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 ... 125   Go Up
Print
Jump to: