Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Favourite Towns/Cities  (Read 10646 times)
Rich Pullen

« Reply #90 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 17:51:18 »

You're right (although you didn't need reassurance!) Middlesbrough is a hole.

I went to the Riverside Stadium last season and the opposition were chanting "worst city in England" over-and-over again... only for one irritated Boro fan to stand up and scream "it's not a city it's a borough you fucking bastards" - it was heard and he was mocked a-plenty.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 17:52:32 »

I must admit I enjoy living in Newcastle. I like Northumberland, visiting places like Seahouses, Bamburgh, et al is good for relaxing. Walking along the Hadrian's Wall route is great too.

My most favourite place I've visited thus far is Massachusetts.

Northumberland is indeed ace....can you still get a decent smoked kipper in Seahouses?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #92 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 17:53:03 »

Northumberland is indeed ace....can you still get a decent smoked kipper in Seahouses?

Yes, yes you can.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 17:56:21 »

I have to say i like Enniskillen in NI. Some decent fishing and the place where i have had the best steak ever.

Not to mention the shady pub that opened up some steps and then turned into a nightclub after last orders....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:11:48 »

I have to say i like Enniskillen in NI. Some decent fishing and the place where i have had the best steak ever.

Not to mention the shady pub that opened up some steps and then turned into a nightclub after last orders....

NI is indeed ace...you can talk to peeps, who've been here, there and everywhere, but never NI.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:13:28 »

We drove from Dublin, after catching a ferry from Holyhead.

Checkpoint Charlie still there i think
Dazzza

« Reply #96 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:18:39 »

I'd like to have a long weekend up in Belfast.  Got a few mates living there and everyone seems to be raving about the place of late.

My only concern is turning Fawly and doing my very own episode of "The Germans".

"Don't mention the bombs" would be on the tip of my tongue.

Piss taking aside it's supposed to be a very safe place to visit these days.

sonic youth

« Reply #97 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:19:52 »

How much effort does the town make to keep the spirit of the Little Rock 9 going Sonic? I imagine it's well documented, especially as it's the 50th anniversary of the events.

When I tour the U.S. again it's on the list.
surprisingly little, actually. compared to most places i visited in the south little rock was by far the most multicultural though...

i must confess i didn't do much sightseeing. most time was spent in bars...

where in the US did you visit? i intend to travel for three months next year, i want to see san francisco, new york, chicago, memphis/nashville and see some of the mississippi delta as i only briefly passed through it.
Barry Scott

« Reply #98 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:29:05 »

surprisingly little, actually. compared to most places i visited in the south little rock was by far the most multicultural though...

where in the US did you visit? i intend to travel for three months next year, i want to see san francisco, new york, chicago, memphis/nashville and see some of the mississippi delta as i only briefly passed through it.

Oh, oh, oh... Can i come please!  Afro

I've been trying to talk friends into going on a little trip around America, namely New York, San Francisco and Chicago. They're all either gay or getting married though, which from my perspective (looking at my friends), is the same thing.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:30:21 »

I'd like to have a long weekend up in Belfast.  Got a few mates living there and everyone seems to be raving about the place of late.

My only concern is turning Fawly and doing my very own episode of "The Germans".

"Don't mention the bombs" would be on the tip of my tongue.

Piss taking aside it's supposed to be a very safe place to visit these days.
  Been a while since I was there, but Belfast seemed to have a lot of pubs which proudly retained historic features, lots of highly polished wooden bars, and wooden seating areas a bit like chapels..

Sorts of things that get knocked down or ripped out in Engalnd in pursuit of profit...it may be that Belfast is a bit behind the times and this process will now kick in.

« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:32:14 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
sonic youth

« Reply #100 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:32:51 »

Oh, oh, oh... Can i come please!  Afro

I've been trying to talk friends into going on a little trip around America, namely New York, San Francisco and Chicago. They're all either gay or getting married though, which from my perspective (looking at my friends), is the same thing.

depends if you can put up with my american fandom :p
Rich Pullen

« Reply #101 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:36:57 »

As I was doing a essay on sport culture in New England at the time, I had to stay in Boston and only ventured to it's surrounding towns (which wasn't a chore). When you do your trip I recommend you use Boston as your relax time - especially if you start in NYC. Many people I've come across do the same as it's ideal for recharging your batteries. Good bars too.

I don't know where I'll go next - it depends what I do my masters dissertation on.
Barry Scott

« Reply #102 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 18:45:49 »

You can love America until your heart's content. Just let me have first picks on the ladies.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 19:53:51 »

Am I still adopting you and moving to the States sonic?
STFC_Gazzza

« Reply #104 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 20:15:40 »

Apart from Swindon would be Toronto. Lived there for years, my mum and dad still live there, going back there in October to visit for a week.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: