Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Favourite Towns/Cities  (Read 10637 times)
sonic youth

« Reply #105 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 21:32:33 »

Am I still adopting you and moving to the States sonic?
erm. probably - do you have us citizenship?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 22:37:58 »

REF the Peak District Reg...indeed it does take in Manchester and Sheffield but last week i was in Buxton which is stunning and is in Derbyshire hence the reference i was making was you ca be in gun ridden Nottingham and less than an hour later be in the beautifull Spa town off Buxton in the peak district,also REF Glasgow has some really bad areas yet 30 mins down the road is Loch Lomond.
Auckland_Red

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 22:39:40 »

my fav has to be rome, been to watch roma vs lazio a few times and loved it, closely followed by auckland new zealand spent 2 years living there great city!!
Rich Pullen

« Reply #108 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 22:42:49 »

I lived in Fallingbostel as a kid and loved every second of it. I've always intended to go back.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 22:57:44 »

Well Paris is awsome too,it blew me away with its culture and history.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #110 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 23:00:39 »

Well Paris is awsome too,it blew me away with its culture and history.

The only part of France I've visited is the south west area around Bergerac - it was pretty good, definately a nice place to do a whole lot of nothing!
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 23:02:12 by Rich Pullen » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 23:08:18 »

Well Rich i only saw Paris,one fact that astounded me was that if you looked at every piece of art in the Louvre for a minute you woul be there for three months!   as i was only there a week i shall be going back.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 23:10:16 »

REF the Peak District Reg...indeed it does take in Manchester and Sheffield but last week i was in Buxton which is stunning and is in Derbyshire hence the reference i was making was you ca be in gun ridden Nottingham and less than an hour later be in the beautifull Spa town off Buxton in the peak district,also REF Glasgow has some really bad areas yet 30 mins down the road is Loch Lomond.

Interesting that...I'd have Buxton down as in the Derbyshire Dales, maybe the tourist offices/ estate agents now put in the Peak District.

I used to spend a lot of time in Nottingham albeit 30 years ago, and it was a fine wholesome place....populated by the offspring of skilled female lace makers, hey ho, things change.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 23:17:49 »

Actually Reg you were right and it suprised me about the Peak District being more Manchester and Sheffield,as for Nottingham its still got that feel of tradition about it especially the centre and footy and cricket grounds.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 23:32:17 »

Actually Reg you were right and it suprised me about the Peak District being more Manchester and Sheffield,as for Nottingham its still got that feel of tradition about it especially the centre and footy and cricket grounds.

I was shocked when the lass was shot on the way home from the Goose Fair...got to be a Nottingham tradition going back centuries..been myself....things can only get better.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 00:09:19 »

my fav has to be rome, been to watch roma vs lazio a few times and loved it, closely followed by auckland new zealand spent 2 years living there great city!!

I thought Auckland was a bit cack, much preferred Wellington, but then I was a tourist rather than living there.
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 08:06:09 »

I thought Auckland was a bit cack, much preferred Wellington, but then I was a tourist rather than living there.

I've got to agree. It's pleasant but Sunday night in Auckland is painfully quiet. Way too church round there. But then if you were a resident, the 'burbs seemed much nicer than the centre.

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 08:30:48 »

If we're talking abroad

Siena, Cesky Krumlov, Byron Bay, Singapore, Stockholm, area around Playa Del Carmen.

I will add Lord Howe Island to this list next year, looks amazing, should be going there next December, touch wood.
Lumps

« Reply #118 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 12:35:22 »

Interesting that...I'd have Buxton down as in the Derbyshire Dales, maybe the tourist offices/ estate agents now put in the Peak District.

I used to spend a lot of time in Nottingham albeit 30 years ago, and it was a fine wholesome place....populated by the offspring of skilled female lace makers, hey ho, things change.

Depends on your definition. The Peak District National Park stretches from Saddleworth Moor in the North right down to just outside Ashbourne, and from Just woutside Macclesfield in the West right across to past Bakewell around Beeley and Baslow. Oddly though the route of the A6 and the railway line to Buxton, and Buxton itself is cut out of the National Park boundaries. So Buxton if not in the Peak District NP but unless you're coming from Manchester, you have to pass therough the NP to get to it.

Personally though I'm with you. When I think of the peaks I think of the High Peaks area from the Hope and Edale valleys upwards. Stannage Edge just outside Sheffield is kind of where I think of it starting then either up past the Ladybower and Derwent reserviors or across West towards Kinder Scout.

Below that you're generally dropping about 100m in height above sea level and it just gets more and more gentle the further south you go. From sort of Ashford in the Water down you're definately seeing more of a Dales landscape
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 13:08:21 »

I was shocked when the lass was shot on the way home from the Goose Fair...got to be a Nottingham tradition going back centuries..been myself....things can only get better.

I went to the Goose Fair as a young un. Massive it were. I won a Liverpool scarf and found a pound note on the floor! Halcyon days.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: