Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Q & A with Sam Parkin  (Read 3865 times)
SwindonTownFans

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 19:43:30 »

The 'Swindon Town Fans' Q & A feature returns after a prolonged absence.  Previous Q&A's include Charlie Austin, Stefani Miglioranzi, David Duke, Jan-Age Fjortoft and Grant Smith.  Now, Swindon goal-machine and legend Sam Parkin can be added to that list.  Enjoy.

http://stfcfans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/q-with-sam-parkin.html

Join the STFC Fans' Facebook page: www.facebook.com/theswindontown

Visit our Blog: www.stfcfans.blogspot.co.uk/

Follow us on Twitter: @SwindonTownFans, @RW_Sharpe, @olliehowitt
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 19:52:49 »

interesting that he praises King after others were less than complimentary

but for the love of all that is holy, please proof read your blog.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 19:55:05 »

Feels like i've read that all before if i'm honest.

/
W56196272
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 20:02:09 »

What's Sam's favourite cheese?
SwindonTownFans

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 20:05:03 »

What's Sam's favourite cheese?

Heard that before, so didn't include.  It's Camembert.

fittons_coaching_badge

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 20:06:45 »

Where can I see the fjortfort q and a?
SwindonTownFans

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 20:08:14 »

Where can I see the fjortfort q and a?

http://stfcfans.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/q-with-jan-age-fjrtoft.html

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 20:21:02 »

Surely I'm not the only one that thinks 'meh'??!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 21:26:11 »

i think there's a of/off issue

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 21:42:02 »

There's myriad issues. Note that isn't a myriad of issues.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 11, 2012, 07:45:47 »

I can't see it via my phone. Can someone copy and paste it onto here please.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 11, 2012, 07:57:47 »

I can't see it via my phone. Can someone copy and paste it onto here please.

Q & A with Sam Parkin
The 'Swindon Town Fans' Q&A feature returns after a prolonged absence.  Previous Q&A's include Charlie Austin, Stefani Miglioranzi, David Duke, Jan-Age Fjortoft and Grant Smith.  Now, Swindon goal-machine and legend Sam Parkin can be added to that list.  Enjoy.
'Super Sammy Parkin'

Speak to any Swindon fan about ‘Andy King’ and a myriad of different opinions and anecdotes are forthcoming, good and bad.  However, King’s legacy at Swindon should perhaps be best remembered for the signing for striker Sam Parkin.  Parkin signed for the Robins from Chelsea in the pre-season of 2002, without any notable fanfare and a handful of loans spells at lower league clubs.  At first glance, the signing of Parkin wasn’t a ‘blow your socks off’ moment.

Parkin quickly dispelled any worries of his goal scoring ability and instantly became a terrace favourite.  After a debut hat-trick against Barnsley at the County Ground on the first day of the 2002/2003 season, the Town End had already devised the ‘Super Sammy Parkin’ chant.  The chant became a fixture at Swindon games, home and away, as did Sam Parkin goals.  In total Parkin scored an impressive 73 goals in his 3 year stint in Wiltshire, firmly establishing himself as a Swindon fans favourite to this day.

Hi Sam, it's 'Razor'...
Swindon signed you in the pre-season of 2002.  How did the move to Swindon come about? And what convinced you Swindon was the right club?

I'd just spent a season on loan at Northampton which had been a difficult spell in a struggling team, I still had a year left on my Chelsea contract but was exploring possible loan/permanent transfers in the close season. I took an amusing phone call from Andy King and Neil Ruddock whilst shopping one day and decided to come down to the County Ground the following week for a chat at the start of pre season training. I had been in discussions with Jim Jefferies at Kilmarnock about a move to the SPL but ideally I wanted to stay in England at the time so joined Swindon's Pre Season tour in Southport. Had a great time, hit it off with all the lads straight away and training went very well. I scored in the 1st few Friendly matches and from then on I was very keen to join, initially a loan was talked about but after some negotiating between the 2 clubs I joined on a 2 year deals a week before the start of the season.

Prior to your permanent move to Swindon, you had four loan spells at Millwall, Wycombe, Oldham and Northampton.  Did you feel for you to continue to progress in the professional game you had to leave Chelsea to find regular first team football, rather than become a journeyman loanee?

Yes, I felt my time at Chelsea had come to an end. I'd had a great time and an invaluable education but I was well out of the 1st team picture after a season away on loan... after scoring regularly on my 1st couple of loans at Millwall and Wycombe I still had a chance of breaking through but it wasn't to be. Chelsea didn't stand in my way and were fine about me joining Swindon and I remember when I was sold to Ipswich a few years later they waived the sell on fee which was a nice gesture.

Debut Hat-Trick
You made an instant impact at Swindon scoring a hat-trick on debut against Barnsley.  Not a bad way to introduce yourself to the Swindon fans.  What do you remember of that day? And how much of a confidence booster were those goals?

One of my finest days in football. I remember staying in the Marriot in the Old Town on the Friday night. It was a really hot day and I was pretty nervous. I think Barnsley were quite fancied as they'd just been relegated but we played extremely well, all the new signings had great games and it was a dream debut for me. I think I missed another chance and had one disallowed so I could have ended up with 5 goals!

It was the start of an incredible 3 years and I think the special bond between me and Swindon's fans was created that day and to hear them singing my name after my 1st 90 minutes gave me a real lift. The boys all signed the match ball after the game and my other memory was going up to see my family and friends afterwards...it's one of the few times my sister has seen me play, she’s expected a hat trick every time since!

Andy King was Swindon manager during your time at the County Ground.  How was he to play under?

Races or Training today Kingy?
Andy King remains one of the biggest influences on my career. He'd seen me play a few times the previous season at Northampton and had seen something in me. He instilled confidence in me as soon as I walked into the County Ground and a lot of credit has to go to him for how I performed during my 3 years. There was certainly never a dull moment, he was obviously a larger than life character and most of the anecdotes are unprintable!

He was old school in certain ways, we were never short of a day at the races or a night out etc but his coaching and knowledge of players was second to none. The lads used to call him my 'dad' because I was never left out and rarely given any criticism but I liked to think we were good for each other. I always joked I’d kept him in a job for those 3 seasons!

You scored 73 goals in 142 appearances for Swindon over 3 seasons, a phenomenal goal return.  What do you put that form down to?

I think the good start was very important for me at Swindon. I settled in very quickly with the players in Pre Season and the goals flowed from the very start. I think I relished the responsibility of being one of the main men and I think I really improved as a player over the spell, adding quality players like Sammy Igoe, Brian Howard, Tommy Mooney etc was obviously a big help as well. I of course had real desire to get back to the highest level as well so the motivation was always there. The staff at the club made me very welcome and I always had the fans on my side which is always important. The manager and Malcolm Crosby didn't give me too many responsibilities outside the box and I was given the licence to focus on scoring goals.

Feared: Parkin and Mooney
Your partnership with Tommy Mooney during the 2003/2004 season, getting into the playoffs places, was one of the best seen at the County Ground in recent history.  Why do you think you and Tommy clicked so well together?

It's funny, a lot was made of my partnership with Tommy but to be honest I think you could count on one hand the amount of goals me and him made for each other. I think the beauty of having both of us in the team was that we were both goal scorers and invariably if the ball went in the box, if one missed it, the other would get on the end of it. We were both single minded and I think that really benefited the team that year. I think we got near on 50 goals between us so obviously it was a very productive partnership and I was sorry to see him move on. Tommy could be a nasty so and so on the pitch, but off it we got on great...he's got a great sense of humour.

The 2003/2004 season saw Swindon reach the playoffs, after an excellent season for yourself and the club.  What went right that season? And how gutted was the squad after the cruel playoff defeat at Brighton?

I've already touched on the quality we had added after my 1st season. That side was full of good players and we really should have challenged for an automatic spot. In the end we scraped into the playoffs. We had 2 good keepers, Sean O’Hanlon was great alongside Matty Heywood, across the middle you could pick from Hewlett, Gurney ,Stef, Smith, Howard, Igoe and up front we had 3 goal scorers in me, Moon’s and Rory Fallon. We probably just lacked a bit of consistency I remember a crucial spell game over Easter when we dropped 2 points at Torquay when we could have gone 2nd...we seemed to always fall at the last hurdle.

Robbed: Brighton Celebrate
We battered Brighton in those playoffs and the 2nd leg remains one of my worst nights in football. We should have been well out of sight after the 1st game at home but somehow we had to chase a 1-0 deficit.  When Rory Fallon scored in extra time I must be honest, I thought we were at Cardiff and the equaliser in the last seconds really swung the momentum in their direction before we were beaten on penalties. I was devastated, I remember Adi Viveash; who's a brilliant fella, consoling me in the dressing room and that night took a lot of getting over. To add insult to injury I’d had 2 teeth kicked out during the 1st half and was off to hospital in my kit to get them shoved back in. The team stayed over in Brighton that night but it was pretty miserable, I think I managed a few alcopops through a straw and went off to bed. I was a pretty horrible person to be around for a good few weeks after that game.

That game against Leeds at Elland Road (with the infamous Paul Robinson goal) in the League Cup.  The move you finished that night was one of the best team goals I have seen watching Swindon?  What do you remember of that night?

The game at Leeds was amazing, we played a then Premiership team of the park and I’d probably say that was my finest performance in a Swindon shirt. I think looking back, that was the game that brought me to the attention of clubs at the higher level. I remember turning Goals on Sunday on the following weekend and seeing a montage of my goals with Neil Warnock and Joe Royle saying they liked me..  I started to get linked with teams from then on.

Andy Gurney and I got our goals and again we really should have gone on to win but we were left disappointed again after penalties. Celebrating in front of the Swindon fans that night after my goal is a great memory and I enjoy watching it from time to time. I was up against Roque Junior that night and I like reminding my mates after a few beers that I once had a World Cup winner in my pocket!  Unfortunately the night was remembered for Paul Robinson's header.  Me and Grant Smith still argue over who was supposed to be marking him!

After playoff disappointment in 2004, missing out on promotion, did you consider leaving the club that summer?

There was an approach from Hull City that summer but the clubs couldn't agree a fee so I didn't speak to them. I was very happy at Swindon and I never really thought of the prospect of leaving until after the 3rd season. Having missed out on the playoffs in 2004 I hoped we'd go one better the following year but we were never in a position to challenge and I felt the squad was weaker. My dream was to take Swindon into the Championship so I could stay put. I think it was inevitable I was to leave when Championship clubs came in for me that following summer.

On the Run
Looking back now, which performances during you time at Swindon stick out? 

I think the Leeds game was for me my best performance and as a team we were superb that night.  I remember a home game against Wigan in my 1st season where we were unbelievable, Danny Invincible scored 2 I think and I don't think they'd lost a game that season.  On a personal note I think my debut obviously stands out as does my other 2 hat trick games against Notts County and Wrexham.   Also a home game in my final season against Hull City where we won 4-2 was a great day, especially after I was linked to them the previous summer.

Of 73 goals you scored for the club, which are the ones you look back on most fondly?

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 11, 2012, 07:58:20 »

Part II

My favourite goal has to be the one against QPR at home in my 1st season, as many supporters will know QPR is the team I support so to score any goal against them was a bit weird, to score such an individual goal and to then take my shirt off was mental! I seemed to always do well against QPR and was close to joining them before I joined Ipswich.

I also like the 3 goals I scored at Wycombe over 2 games there...2 in a 3-2 win in my 1st season. The winner was in the last minute and the celebrations in front of the away end were brilliant. The other one came in a 3-0 win in the playoff season and was a rare curler from outside the box.

Close Friend: Grant Smith
Who were your best friends in the Swindon squad during your time at the County Ground? And do you keep in contact with any of them now?

We always had a good spirit during my time there and I was big mates with Matty Heywood, Stef, Grant Smith, Danny Invincible, Andy Nicholas, Dukesy, Eric Sabin and Brian Howard to name a few.  Being based in Scotland now myself and Grant are good pals so we often recount the good old days. Johnnie Jackson who spent a few months on loan during my 1st season and is now with Charlton has remained a close friend to this day and I’m in touch with Matty, Danny and Nico from time to time.

In total you made 142 appearances for Swindon.  What do you remember best about your 3 year stay in Wiltshire, both on and off the pitch?

'Reevesy' in his youth
It was just a brilliant time in my life, obviously the football was going well which always helps, but it's just a period I look back on with great fondness. The training ground was lovely and the day to day training was always enjoyable. On the pitch that runs to the playoffs will always be a great memory despite the way it ended and all the goals bring back a lot of pleasure. Made some great friends and we had some great nights out and trips away during my 3 year spell. I remember a day at Cheltenham races where Kingy joined us in the town centre after the races for a few more drinks; let’s just say he didn't last long. Me and Matty missed the curfew on my very 1st night out in Southport...we were crawling along the grass at Southport Pontins in the pitch black because Kingy was sat on a balcony waiting for everyone. Neil Ruddock had organised the day out in Formby as it was where he had lived during his Liverpool years. I was only with Razor a short spell but you couldn't meet a nicer fella in my opinion.

Sean O’Hanlon had a habit of falling of his chair in restaurants and pretending to be out cold, normally at the end of a night when we were having a curry. I think we just began to leave him there after the 1st time! A special mention for Reevesy's awful one liners...that bad that they were good, normally told as he was drying himself after a post game shower...not a pretty sight.

In 2005 you moved to Ipswich, with the majority of Swindon fans wishing you all the best after 3 great seasons.  Plenty of clubs were interested in you that summer.  What made you choose Ipswich?

I spoke to a few clubs that summer, one of them being QPR... Obviously my heart was set on moving there but ultimately they couldn't afford the asking price. It came down to a choice between 3; as soon as I’d met Joe Royle and had a look around the place I was convinced that Ipswich was the club for me. I felt that after the consistency I’d shown for 3 years that I deserved a move and the stadium, training ground and squad was 1st class. It was a big wrench to leave Swindon but it was an opportunity I couldn't turn down. The feeling I had when I was unveiled as an Ipswich player at the summer press conference was one of the best I’ve experienced in the game.

Ipswich Switch
You scored a few goals early in your Ipswich career, but a broken ankle kept you out for much of the season.  How much of a blow was that injury? Do you look back now and think what might have been if it hadn’t have been for that ankle break?

It was a difficult time obviously went from being one of the main men at Swindon to being a small fish in a big pond and it was difficult. I struggled to settle in the area and looking back I would have done things differently. I felt I’d gained the boys respect in training, which is important when you join any new club but the supporters didn't take to me. The club had lost in the playoffs the previous season and had lost Kuqi and Bent who had formed a decent partnership. I and Nicky Forster had been brought in and even in pre-season I’d heard the 1st rumblings that we weren't good enough. Anyone that's seen me play on a regular basis would know I’m a very different player from Kuqi but I think the Ipswich fans expected me to be a battering ram which I’m clearly not. It was a time when the wage bill at places like Ipswich had been cut and they were trying to add good young British talent to the squad without breaking the bank felt under immense pressure from day 1 and I think I struggled with that.

I managed to score a few goals early on but unfortunately they all came away from home so the supporters at Portman Road were quick to get on my back. I admit it eventually did get to me and it was a very unhappy time. I broke my ankle in November and that was pretty much the end of my season; I even remember some bloke giving me stick as I was carried from the pitch! Let's just say it's not a result I still look for.

Of course I wish things had been different, I went to Ipswich with ambitions of playing in the Premier League and within 18 months I was fighting a career threatening injury and I think that added to a huge loss in confidence. I hope looking back I’d have been able to turn things around but ultimately in football not every transfer works out.

Swindon fans have given you some great receptions when our paths have crossed since your spell at the County Ground....still singing ‘Super Sammy Parkin!’ That must have been pleasing?

Yeah the Swindon fans have always been great to me, whether it's bumping into one out and about or on holiday they've only ever been complimentary, and it's always a place I’ll enjoy coming back to. I tried to do bits and pieces in the local community and I think the fans appreciated that during my spell.

During my year at Walsall they gave me a great reception twice. Unfortunately, despite my best efforts with the manager he didn't bring me off the bench. I was absolutely gutted that night suppose I felt a bit embarrassed. And unfortunately it may be the last time I’d have the opportunity to thank the fans.

You have since had spells at Luton, Orient and Walsall, and now are playing for St.Mirren in Scotland.  Briefly tell us about your time since your days at Swindon and Ipswich...

JPT Winner
When Jim Magilton took over from Joe Royle he made it pretty clear that I didn’t feature in his plans so I was on the move again to Luton.  I was pretty much dogged with injury during my spell. When I joined, again it was a side blessed with good players, Kevin Foley, Leon Barnett, Carlos Edwards, Rowan Vine to name a few and we had aspirations of reaching the Premier League. Of course the Club had major problems above playing level which ended with the club being punished and suffering back to back relegations. There's enough material in those 3 years to write a trilogy! I missed the best part of 18 months and when I finally returned I scored a few goals at the back end of the League 1 campaign and again at the start of the following season in League 2, I was loaned to Orient to basically get me off the wage bill and despite not scoring during a 3 month spell I really enjoyed it and felt I had rediscovered my hunger. I ended the season at Luton and we won the JPT Final at Wembley which was a brilliant day, the club had been through so much rubbish over the 3 years I was there it was great to have something to celebrate and I think it's the biggest support anyone team has taken to the new Wembley... a great match and a ridiculously good party!

At times I felt bad at Luton, the club was in crisis and I hadn't been fit enough during my contract, thankfully towards the end the physic was 1st class and I saw a top ankle surgeon who I owe a lot that I’m still playing football at a good level today. Some great lads at Luton who I’m still big mates with today and I hope they get back up because it's got a huge support and a lot of history.

Scoring for St.Mirren
I spent a pretty uneventful year at Walsall before making the move up to the SPL. Derek Mckinnes had tried to sign me the previous summer for St Johnstone but I had opted for another year in League 1 which hadn't worked out. I've often been linked to Scottish clubs over the years and I can honestly say it's been a fantastic decision, there’s been another injury which initially was very hard to take but the last 9-10 months have been fantastic. I had a spell at Queen of the South when I left St Johnstone last January and it helped me regain my fitness and also restore a lot of confidence which had been lost by the injury. I scored regularly in a struggling side and I can't praise the players and staff at Queens enough for helping me get the enjoyment back. I'd had a good initial start at St Johnstone under Mckinnes and I really enjoyed playing in a different league and visiting the likes of the old firm. Unfortunately I was injured and when I returned under Steve Lomas I was well down the pecking order.

I hoped over the summer to remain in Scotland and once I knew St Mirren were keen it was a no brainer. I love living in Glasgow and St Mirren has been a club on the real up over the last couple of seasons, we play a nice brand of football and it is the most I’ve enjoyed my football in a long time.  Obviously I always strive to get back to the form I showed in my early 20's and I hope this season could be the one.

All that's is left to say is thanks to Sam Parkin for taking part in this Q&A feature for 'Swindon Town Fans' and all the best for the future. 

Robin Sharpe (@RW_Sharpe) and Ollie Howitt (@olliehowitt)

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 11, 2012, 08:05:11 »

Thank you
Peter Venkman

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 11, 2012, 08:10:46 »

You are welcome Arriba, it was too big to put in one message but is a good read anyway.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: