Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town V Fleetwood Match Day Thread  (Read 67240 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 19:10:32 »

Said to my mate with 5 mins to go, at the start of the month I'd have bitten your arm off for 10pts from this run of games, but now a draw would feel like a let-down. Superb to keep the winning run going, keep the pressure on Cotterill's bottlers, and delighted for Gladwin getting the winner. Sign of a team that's going places - winning when you're not playing well. Onwards and upwards
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #106 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 19:53:47 »

That was a crap game but Fleetwood weren't interested in a game of football. All they wanted was to park the bus and ensure there was no flow to the game. They nearly succeeded as well. Their no 29 was a cheating cunt. Other than early on when the ref fucked up when two of his own players took out the keeper, I thought the ref handled the game well.
I thought the pitch looked a bit rough today - loads of sand up in the air when the ball was kicked.
Toffolo will be a very good player and has a great delivery on him.
All in all a crap game but a great three points and another patient performance from the players. One negative was that we were so slow getting the ball forward.

Pax Romana

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 20:19:04 »

Almost as pleased that Fleetwood lost as I am that Town won.  They were well organised but with a shite attitude.  The dive for the 'penalty' was a disgrace.

I thought we played a bit better than been given credit for on here; they were a difficult team to break down, easy to see why they have such a strong defensive record.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 20:54:18 »

A very frustrating game without a doubt. Fleetwood obviously did not come to take us on playing a classic game but sat deep when necessary, broke the game up when necessary and nearly got away with a point which they would no doubt been very happy with. Got to say our midfield was rather ineffective today, far to ponderous and seemed to lack the simple ball at times. Having said that it is another three points and keeps us well and truly in the hunt.

Yes

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
manc_red

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 21:13:54 »

I thought we played a bit better than been given credit for on here; they were a difficult team to break down, easy to see why they have such a strong defensive record.

Yep.

Apparently they've not lost by more than 1 all season. If that's right (and I'm sure someone'll correct it if it's wrong) then you can see why.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 21:20:32 »

Yep.

Apparently they've not lost by more than 1 all season. If that's right (and I'm sure someone'll correct it if it's wrong) then you can see why.

That's correct....also of interest is that we've won the last 3 home games 1-0.  Now I'm not sure if we've done this since 68/69, when we had 4 home games in a row due to earlier postponements and won the lot 1-0, with late goals.

Quick bit of research....we won 3 home games in a row in 74/75, 1-0.  A decent season, PO finish in today's money. We also won 3 in a row, under Hoddle at the end of 91/92, and backed it up winning the first of 92/93, 1-0. 

So winning games at home 1-0, is suggestive of a decent team....
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 21:41:36 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Charlie Henry

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 21:53:39 »

My family have supported the town since 1903 (7 generations now) took my boys loved every minute been indoctrinating the kids slowly since birth this was their 2nd game (the first was the Orient goalie fiasco last year) there has been talk of Arsenal and Manu but I think finally today the sword has been cast. Thank you to the trust and all at the club we've been through hard times but a brilliant result for everyone today 15/10
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 22:14:30 »

That's correct....also of interest is that we've won the last 3 home games 1-0.  Now I'm not sure if we've done this since 68/69, when we had 4 home games in a row due to earlier postponements and won the lot 1-0, with late goals.

Quick bit of research....we won 3 home games in a row in 74/75, 1-0.  A decent season, PO finish in today's money. We also won 3 in a row, under Hoddle at the end of 91/92, and backed it up winning the first of 92/93, 1-0. 

So winning games at home 1-0, is suggestive of a decent team....
To follow on from that...we won no fewer than 5 games by one goal to nil in 92/93 when Paul Bodin (left back no less) was the scorer of the winning goal. In total we won 10 games 1-0 (home and away) that season.
kerry red

« Reply #113 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 22:22:49 »

And there's everyone thinking the season would be littered with 4-3s and the like.

One goal conceded in 4 games against decent opposition is just what the doctor ordered!

Now with 3 out of the next 4 games at home we have a chance to cement our place at the business end of the league.
Spud

« Reply #114 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 22:27:07 »

Whilst it was frustrating to watch, you can't blame Fleetwood on setting up the way that they did re: 9 men behind the ball for the majority of the game.

The modern day football fan expects the opposition to turn up and surrender.

That was a massive 3 points what with the results of the teams around us.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 23:05:45 »

Not much to add really. If the Bristol city fans thought we fall over a lot then I hope they still have to play Fleetwood to get some  perspective.

In the first half the game was very stop/start as Fleetwood players either fouled us or fell over to break up play. Thankfully the ref spotted it and had a word with their captain as one or two walked the ref card tightrope. When we attacked we threatened to look threatening. But weren't.  Fleetwood had two good chances, the first when Thompson gave the ball away leaving a one on one which wes smothered, the second right on the  stroke of half, the shot blocked on the line by I know not who.

So they had the best chances but I was confident we would push them back in the second half.

I'm not sure if Fleetwood made a tactical change or we were simply asleep, but we looked poor for 15 minutes after half time. Slowly but surely we started to open them a bit, but not in a sustained way that would make you think we'd score any minute. But score we did, and from a corner too which was a surprise as up to that point our corners looked as threatening as an unset angle delight. Did Fleetwood deserve a point, possible, but the points are ours.

Great to see so many turn up with free tickets - always a danger that the 'meh, they were free, let's not bother' attitude would surface. But it didn't. From experience it's difficult to keep the young ones interested, but I think the best majority eye still there when the goal went in!

Thanks Batch for that write up.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Saturday, November 29, 2014, 23:48:00 »

We also won 3 in a row, under Hoddle at the end of 91/92, and backed it up winning the first of 92/93, 1-0.

Hoddle's a doddle......apparently.......whatever that was ever supposed to mean.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Sunday, November 30, 2014, 00:06:29 »

I thought for the first 20, we looked far the superior side, passing with confidence. Toffolo put a couple of great crosses in, Luongo looked positive. A couple of crosses flashed across goal which would have been tap ins had Obika on the first occasion and Louis on the second, gambled and slid in. Then, it all went a bit flat. Fleetwood came to spoil and they spoilt. Terrible with the ball, very effective without it. Banks pf four, sometimes five. Sadly no record breaker Nathan Pond on show though.

They doubled up on Byrne, which meant he came inside every time and narrowed the game. His least effective game for us for some time (ok, since Whaddon Rd). Yaser was strangely not at the races from the word go. Luongo drifted out of it. The front two just didnt see a great deal of the ball. All that said, we rarely felt in danger, bar a very good one on one block as Wes stayed on his feet well during the first half and then Dobbie (I think) blazed over from 10 yards in the second when he was unmarked with the goal gaping.

Gladwin was very positive when he came on. If Luongo does end up going, he is a player that could flourish. I said after the City game that I was concerned that he doesn't move the ball quickly enough. He was livlier today. He looked to shoot when he could, spread play quickly and it was a good solid header.

It was a fantastic day for the Trust and hopefully for investing in the club's future. The Bank and the old Block A was a great sight. I did my best to get the South side singing a couple of times, and whilst the Town End followed, the South didn't. Maybe next time. If people are worried that the turgidity of the game may turn the kids off, don't worry. My nephews were happy with the goal celebration and will remember that rather than Fleetwood's negativity (although, hats off to perhaps the single most impressive rise in English football bar AFC Wimbledon).

Job done.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Sunday, November 30, 2014, 03:40:29 »

Fleetwood came to spoil and get a point and very nearly got it. We need to get used to it because it will happen again.

I must confess that I had given up when the ball went in and accepted a turgid draw. I was as negative as Fleetwood to that point and a town gave me a right slap at the death.

Excellent ground out three points.

Clems Army!
brocklesby red

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Sunday, November 30, 2014, 07:31:47 »

And there's everyone thinking the season would be littered with 4-3s and the like.

One goal conceded in 4 games against decent opposition is just what the doctor ordered!

Now with 3 out of the next 4 games at home we have a chance to cement our place at the business end of the league.
i think it's 2 from the next 6 games away from home,Donny and Port Vale
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: