Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: One for the IT Bods  (Read 4427 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 13:00:04 »

When transferring users data between machines what do you use

We tend to do it the old fashioned manual way or use windows easy transfer but they want something here that will just automate it and is nice and to speed things up  - wondered what others used

Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 13:04:30 »

I'm guessing these are standalone PC's? A network would be ideal, then all data will be secure and backed up.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 13:25:03 »

Use a batch file to either back up to a network drive, or USB.

@ECHO OFF
COPY c:\users\%username%\documents e:\backupfolder

Simple.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 13:33:34 »

What exactly are you doing? I guess as you mention Easy Transfer that you're moving users to new PC's?

Best practice is to store all user data on network shares. Easy to backup, easy to move to/work from a new PC.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 14:48:52 »

Use a batch file to either back up to a network drive, or USB.

@ECHO OFF
COPY c:\users\%username%\documents e:\backupfolder

Simple.

Takes me back to my MSDOS days, lovely

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #5 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 15:19:39 »

Takes me back to my MSDOS days, lovely
MSDOS 6.22 was my favourite, loved writing batch files, I still use command prompt in Windows 7 for some things..

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 20:04:26 »

Just been doing a Windows Server course and its amazing how much you can actually do with cmd and powershell if you know how
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 20:23:51 »

I still miss basic.

10 fuck off
20 go to 10

Or something like that, it was a long time ago that I did my gcse in computer studies.. I passed with something similar
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 20:52:49 »

MSDOS 6.22 was my favourite, loved writing batch files, I still use command prompt in Windows 7 for some things..
drivespace nearly lost my a level project when it corrupted. And one of my computer science lecturers used to have an "I'm boss of ms dos" sweatshirt.

two reasons to hate dos.

I do need a command line though.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 21:55:02 »

You had computers when you did A levels??  I thought you were just a bit younger than me batch 

#didyouralevelsatthirty
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, June 5, 2015, 22:37:36 »

Cheeky fucker.

I'm not saying they weren't powered by steam mind. #definitelyPastIt
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 01:58:54 »

Teracopy
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, June 6, 2015, 15:14:10 »

Just been doing a Windows Server course and its amazing how much you can actually do with cmd and powershell if you know how

If you haven't already have a look at DSC - it's the future of server configs.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 14:19:17 »

What exactly are you doing? I guess as you mention Easy Transfer that you're moving users to new PC's?

Best practice is to store all user data on network shares. Easy to backup, easy to move to/work from a new PC.

Agreed storing on a network share would be ideal but unfortunately that does not happen and users wish to have access to their data when off the network, offline folders isn't always reliable so it is stored locally.

Just wondered if anyone knew of any software that copies over data and settings automatically at by entering a few simple bits of information - I know things like Dos commands etc - it is giving people new machines, there is a large number of people over the next few months and it is time consuming selecting what is required and either copying over the network or to USB then to the new machine, if there was some migration software that can be used it would be handy.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, June 15, 2015, 21:11:46 »

I don't recall having any major issues with offline folders, plus you now have the Work Folders option as well.

Though I can't really talk, most of our user data is stored locally at work and PC moves are a manual process.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: