Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crawley Town v Swindon Town Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25970 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 00:18:49 »

600 Town fans?Really?Seemed about half that!

Given that everyone, including the Adver reporter, seems to agree the away attendance was about half the reported figure, why would a club over-declare the number? I remember the days when attendances were hilariously under-declared in order to pay less tax, but I've no idea why a club would do the opposite.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #121 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 06:33:40 »

Wage cap?
Hitchinred

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 06:34:49 »

2700 - You can't survive in L1 on that. I know they have so far, but long term - you just can't.

And they won't.

And the "wall of colour" at the start must have been an embarrassment with all the empty seats!
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 07:50:08 »

Twice now we have been caught out with a long ball over the top. The defence really worries me and on a day like today when we don't take our chances we will end up on the losing side if we don't sure up at the back. Hopefully Stephens will come in and steady the ship though.

Having said all of the above though we seem to have a decent team spirit this season so far and seem to determined to put last season's away hoodoo behind us. Let's hope we get 3 points on Tuesday.
Quick thinking from a quality keeper. That's all it was.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 08:16:39 »

Quick thinking from a quality keeper. That's all it was.
Correct. It was brilliant play by Jensen which very few keepers at L1 level - if any -would be capable of.

Yes, we got caught out on that occasion but they will learn from it. Overall we looked very assured at the back.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 08:30:28 »

Given that everyone, including the Adver reporter, seems to agree the away attendance was about half the reported figure, why would a club over-declare the number? I remember the days when attendances were hilariously under-declared in order to pay less tax, but I've no idea why a club would do the opposite.

Not everyone. I didn't stand there and count them but I really don't think there was only 300 of us there.
lambourn red

« Reply #126 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 09:34:36 »

Not everyone. I didn't stand there and count them but I really don't think there was only 300 of us there.
Agreed there was a lot more than 300 with the side bit and the seats I would say 600 odd was the correct number
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:00:40 »

Was interesting to hear on the radio that the ref was 40ish yards away for the pen/sending off, but the linesman was only 15, yet the ref didn't even discuss it with him. Why don't match officials discuss things with each other? How often do you see egg chasing ones or cricket umpires having a chat mid-match? Regularly, because different people have different views on the situation (both physcially and mentally) and there's a team of them for a reason.

Whether it was a pen/red card or not, there's a deeper issue of how decisions like that (which, as a double-dip negative decision for us, quite literally altered the outcome of the match) are made from the other end of the pitch.

Edit: Having watched the highlights (which are up on player now) I don't think the ref was even in the same half for the incident. The FL commentator went 'oh that was a good tackle from Thompson' before backtracking as the ref awarded the pen and red carded him. You'd think as a referee you'd at least want to chat to the lino after a team you've already carded for diving goes down in the box 40+ yards away.

Also, Jensen was the only reason Crawley were anywhere near being in that match.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:12:34 by Honkytonk » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #128 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:09:19 »

The highlights are up.

I just don't know if the red/pen was justified. The commentator thought it was a good tackle though.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:26:56 »

Could also argue it wasn't even a red as by the time the tackle was made Byrne was between Wes and Thompson.
Also when you look at the first shot you see of Mcloed he's about 5 yards clear. Was he in our half when Jensen kicked it as if not surely he must have been offside to be quite that far in behind.

Oh and one thing I will say is our bench terrifies me. Randall, Waldon and Marshall are no where near ready for first team football, when Randall came on he looked like a young kid lost. Our lack of players beyond our first XI is a major concern, we've literally got no centre midfield cover.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:30:55 by theakston2k » Logged
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:34:20 »

Correct. It was brilliant play by Jensen which very few keepers at L1 level - if any -would be capable of.

Yes, we got caught out on that occasion but they will learn from it. Overall we looked very assured at the back.
I agree, we dealt with them well all game bar one or two moments. Turnbull didn't go full force into a tackle near the halfway line which resulted in a good ball into the box but the back 3 had McLeod in their pockets for the majority.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #131 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 11:56:26 »

Can't see how a penalty was given. The ref yesterday was another totally clueless twat. They got away with some pretty bad late challenges yesterday. in the 1st half Nate and Fods were taken out really late by challenges where you could see their players deliberately going in on them. The ref stood there and gave a free kick for one and a drop ball for the other. Smith could hardly move with the defender all over him. By the way, Smiths work rate yesterday was immense.
That really was an absolute travesty yesterday. I still can't believe we didn't win by 3 clear goals let alone lost.

Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 13:38:25 »

I haven't seen the highlights yet but I thought the ref was fine in general and the penalty was stonewall.

Yesterday was much better than the rubbish we served up on the road last season - Shrewsbury and Gillingham being amongst the worst town performances I have seen. Crawley were lucky to come away with all three points as in general, they did not threaten.

We threatened first half but bar Jensen's save from I think Luongo in the second we didn't look like equalising. As said above, the lack of options on the bench is a worry (I thought Randall played relatively well) and our lack of activity so far has been utterly bizarre - I trust Power to get his act together before the deadline.

Crawley might have started well but they will not be up there for long.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 14:59:52 »

The ref was in no position to give the pen and the lino did not flag,therefore incorrect in my book.Those people who thought that 600 was right,could they please take a look at my bank account

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Sunday, August 17, 2014, 17:51:50 »

Can a mod enable photo sharing via tapatalk?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: