Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The unofficial non-matchday thread  (Read 34944 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 09:52:14 »

Do you know if we've ever had a season with so many non-matchday Satursdays?
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 09:55:51 »

How about 1962/63 Reg?

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 10:08:05 »

Hmmm This would be a job for a proper nerd (DV Canio).   I'd offer up 2 seasons as candidates that I've seen, 62/63 when only 4 league games, were played in Jan/Feb, and 85/86 when we ended up playing 6 away games in a row, as the CG was fucked after the notorious "strawgate"

Back then though, it was only really the weather to worry about...apart from when the Tory inspired 3 day week meant some games had to be played early afternoon midweek.

Now it's all sorts of shit...Sky, pointless International breaks, police advice, JPT  then throw in the some of the worst weather since 62/63, and it feels like it should be this season.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 10:42:02 »

Hmmm This would be a job for a proper nerd (DV Canio).   I'd offer up 2 seasons as candidates that I've seen, 62/63 when only 4 league games, were played in Jan/Feb, and 85/86 when we ended up playing 6 away games in a row, as the CG was fucked after the notorious "strawgate"

Back then though, it was only really the weather to worry about...apart from when the Tory inspired 3 day week meant some games had to be played early afternoon midweek.

Now it's all sorts of shit...Sky, pointless International breaks, police advice, JPT  then throw in the some of the worst weather since 62/63, and it feels like it should be this season.
That must have been quite surreal, what were the crowds like?

The weather in the UK seems to have gone mental since I left. The winter here has been quite mild apparently but the football season started a couple of weeks ago, contemplating popping along to my local side tomorrow night
kerry red

« Reply #229 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 10:57:13 »

There'd be a couple of thousand on a Tuesday afternoon
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 11:15:33 »

That must have been quite surreal, what were the crowds like?

The weather in the UK seems to have gone mental since I left. The winter here has been quite mild apparently but the football season started a couple of weeks ago, contemplating popping along to my local side tomorrow night

2,600 for a Div 2 game v Looton. 3,284 the week before v Notts C. We were crap mind.

Games were shunted to mid week or Sunday....they kicked off early to avoid using floodlights, and there also had been petrol rationing because of the Arab oil embargo.

At the time weird shit seemed relatively normal...having been a kid in the 50's you were used to austerity, the parents had been through a lot of the shit of the 20th Century....30's depression, WW11...so this was nothing. 

Further being a bit political, seeing the downfall of a Tory government is always sweet...
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 11:26:24 »

Ah 62-63 was a decent season as I remember.  Wasn't that the season we played on a snow covered pitch in baseball boots, one of the few clubs in the league who staged games for a week or two.  Was that the season we went to Luton in the FA cup, the Hatters were a top flight team in those days and we beat them on their own ground, in front of the Match of the Day cameras.  Ernie Hunt absolutely ran the game, when interviewed he was asked if there were any more like him at home, he replied "We've got a lodger who tries!"  That lodger was Mike Summerbee!!!  I'll be happy to stand corrected if that was not the season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 11:37:45 »

Ah 62-63 was a decent season as I remember.  Wasn't that the season we played on a snow covered pitch in baseball boots, one of the few clubs in the league who staged games for a week or two.  Was that the season we went to Luton in the FA cup, the Hatters were a top flight team in those days and we beat them on their own ground, in front of the Match of the Day cameras.  Ernie Hunt absolutely ran the game, when interviewed he was asked if there were any more like him at home, he replied "We've got a lodger who tries!"  That lodger was Mike Summerbee!!!  I'll be happy to stand corrected if that was not the season.

Yep, was the season, but would have thought it a bit early for MotD, which didn't start til 64. maybe some sort of feature on Grandstand.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 11:47:14 »

Cheers Reg, was definitely some sort of feature of tv, possibly the news!!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 12:19:27 »

Good research shocker on Sky Sports "Sean Morrison once scored a winning goal against Southampton when playing for Swindon"

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 14:05:25 »

Muff losing
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 14:14:03 »

Yeovil winning 1-0
Flashheart

« Reply #237 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 14:18:22 »

The table's here Dossy: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/live/league-tables/league-one
Dostoyevsky

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 14:20:18 »

Thanks. 'Muff equalise.
markoswindono

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Saturday, April 6, 2013, 14:22:39 »

It had to be Ritchie didn't it!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 ... 21   Go Up
Print
Jump to: