Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 1170 ... 1230   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4392763 times)
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #17490 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 09:19:43 »

Absolutely, barring Sheridan of course Smiley

Garner wanted out before the play offs so for that alone I dislike him, he didnt want to be with us so he can fuck off, I never took to him anyway as a person and I know I am not the only one who felt that way.
I agree re: Garner. I didn’t find him at all likeable and I was annoyed at his constant moaning at referees.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #17491 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 09:20:49 »

There's a fair few who aren't over McMahon yet, and I know at least one older fan who still spits at the name of Dave Mackay!
Yeah, Macmahon was a great manager for 2 seasons then for whatever reason he turned to shit, constantly moaning about the fans etc, I dont hate him as much as Sheridan.

Mackay was 2 years before I went to my first game but my dad always said he was hated partly for selling the Don to Palace in his tenure he had a pretty shit 29% win ratio too only marginall better than Shirdactyls.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #17492 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 09:24:17 »

The sad reality is that no manager has fucked the club over more than Paolo, admittedly aided and abetted by a pathetically weak Chairman in Wray.

A steady pair of hands rather than the madman and we could be Bournemouth.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #17493 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 09:29:44 »

The sad reality is that no manager has fucked the club over more than Paolo, admittedly aided and abetted by a pathetically weak Chairman in Wray.

A steady pair of hands rather than the madman and we could be Bournemouth.
Great as a team manager 100% but man manager and his buying sprees fucked us over.

I feel, like you, that with a bit more self control from Paolo we would be in the same place as Bournemouth now quite probably. Especially if Black continued to fund that rise through the leagues rather than being totally pissed off with PdC and his reckless spending.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17494 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 09:48:06 »

I’d suggest anyone harbouring day to day animosity towards an ex manager needs help!

Can I suggest you go take a read of the MDT against Crawley 
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #17495 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 09:59:12 »

Yeah, Macmahon was a great manager for 2 seasons then for whatever reason he turned to shit, constantly moaning about the fans etc, I dont hate him as much as Sheridan.

I was thinking about this the other day, I reckon I must have rather lost interest in Town in the latter 90's as I have little to no recollection of things going tits up with McMahon, albeit he was sacked the same month I moved up north to work so that could be it.

Looking at the stats he managed 204 games (36.8%) and left 25 years ago next month!, since then no manager has managed that many games and only King 193 (36.8%), Wilson 120 (35.8%) and Cooper 125 (41.6%) have lasted more than 100 games, and I would never have imaged that Cooper had the best win % out of all of those.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #17496 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:12:30 »

I was thinking about this the other day, I reckon I must have rather lost interest in Town in the latter 90's as I have little to no recollection of things going tits up with McMahon, albeit he was sacked the same month I moved up north to work so that could be it.

Looking at the stats he managed 204 games (36.8%) and left 25 years ago next month!, since then no manager has managed that many games and only King 193 (36.8%), Wilson 120 (35.8%) and Cooper 125 (41.6%) have lasted more than 100 games, and I would never have imaged that Cooper had the best win % out of all of those.

Yeah I've looked at those numbers and raised eyebrows before - I think the gist is that anything above about a 42% win rate and the manager will get offers higher up. If you look at managers since Cooper with higher win rates:

Flitcroft 50% in 42 games
Wellens 42% in 83 games
Garner 50% in 56 games

All of those got better offers (in their view, at the time!). Even Lindsay did off 33%!

There's a very thin line it seems between "good enough not to get sacked" and "unimpressive enough not to get poached"
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17497 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:18:02 »

The championship winning season under Macmahon we played some incredible passing football with a high press (before it became a "thing") and we were solid in defence, only 2 teams managed to score more than 2 goals against us in 1 game.

We didn't lose in our first 10 games winning 7 of them,

In a game vs Hull at the CG we kept the ball for 15 mins just passing it around and beating the Hull players but it was entertaining with it not like Lindseys football.

We had 2 good experienced wingers in Allen and Walters and the Chief up front with Finney, Thorne and Horlock getting lots of goals. We managed 92 points too that year. For all the shit that followed that was a great season. That season is forgotten after the following 2 seasons of struggle when we lost to a shitty non league Stevenage in a wind tunnel at the CG being close to the final straw.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17498 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:34:28 »

Over the 50 odd years supporting STFC I’ve never lost interest - even through the real dark times. Obviously, during that time  I’ve not always lived close enough to attend but the interest has never waned.

The recurring theme over those years was the failure of the club to kick on and build upon any success we may have had. To still have the TE and Stratton Bank, hardly unchanged, throughout those 50 years or so is a damning indictment for all owners.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:36:37 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Mr Stevens

Ignore
« Reply #17499 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:46:42 »

He sacked John Trollope! Never forget.

Take your chips and fuck off home.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #17500 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:47:30 »

Yeah I've looked at those numbers and raised eyebrows before - I think the gist is that anything above about a 42% win rate and the manager will get offers higher up. If you look at managers since Cooper with higher win rates:

Flitcroft 50% in 42 games
Wellens 42% in 83 games
Garner 50% in 56 games

All of those got better offers (in their view, at the time!). Even Lindsay did off 33%!

There's a very thin line it seems between "good enough not to get sacked" and "unimpressive enough not to get poached"

Weird stat as I think he basically lost 50% too!
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #17501 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:58:44 »

Played 42, won 21, lost 18 drew 3...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17502 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 10:58:44 »

Yeah he lost 48% and only drew 3 games in his 42.

Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #17503 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 11:11:33 »

Plus the football was awful and he was about as likeable as a bout of piles.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17504 on: Tuesday, August 29, 2023, 11:22:43 »

Plus the football was awful and he was about as likeable as a bout of piles.
He spoke highly of you Wink Cheesy

FWIW I agree with you!

Pages: 1 ... 1164 1165 1166 [1167] 1168 1169 1170 ... 1230   Go Up
Print
Jump to: