Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trialist Charlie Austin  (Read 70795 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 10:38:29 »

STFC Dave is a fisherman Smiley
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 10:48:30 »

Interesting little article on Charlie in the Metro today, talking about why we love local players. It hasn't gone up online yet but I'll link to it when it does. If I remember.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Friday, November 27, 2009, 13:30:24 »

WHY BIG-TIME CHARLIE WILL ALWAYS REMAIN A LOCAL HERO

Liverpool’s Champions League exit was an understandably hot topic of conversation for fans this week. Debate on Final Third’s favourite radio phone-in centred on an apparent lack of identity in the team, with one caller bemoaning the fact only two players were born locally, the suggestion being the others didn’t, or simply couldn’t, care as much.

It reminded me of a recent Swindon game at Norwich where, while watching their team get a complete chasing, the Town fans started singing the name of the substitute Charlie Austin.

At this point the 20-year-old had yet to make his professional debut so would have appeared an unlikely saviour, particularly as he plays up front and our strikers had barely seen the ball all afternoon. But, crucially, Austin is a local lad, reportedly born into a family of Town fans. With that on his birth certificate he was already halfway to cult status among Swindon fans, even though most had never seen him play.

As it happens, the striker, who was playing six divisions below League One for Poole Town in September, has since made his debut and currently boasts two goals (both winners) from two league starts. A great way for any player to begin their career but he’s loved far more than any striker without a local accent would be.

Perhaps when a club is at Champions League level fans care less about where their players come from than they do about whether they are world-class or not.

But as you go down the leagues the standard drops so you need something else to get excited about other than their ability – or, more often, lack of it. Having someone from down the road to cheer on is a welcome distraction. It’s just a shame that, with his recent exploits, Charlie Austin will probably be an outsider at a bigger club than Swindon before too long.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/football/802082-spurs-thrashing-only-fair-to-the-fans
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 09:45:50 »

Never really amounted to anything, shame.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #304 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 09:52:35 »

Reading back on this thread there was a single post from a poster who only made one post ever on the TEF and he got it spot on.
If Charlie keeps his feet on the ground you have a gem!  Raw talent at its best - good with either foot and good in the air, tough but needs nurturing.  DW will be proved right!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:03:43 »

I think Charlie will be on the move again this summer with QPR going down.

I wonder if QPR will pay the £60m fine to the FL for failing FFP.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:22:37 »

sarfampton or bornmuff perhaps?
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:27:39 »

Bornmuff would be a backwards step.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Peter Venkman

« Reply #308 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:44:28 »

Rumours of Chelsea, Newcastle and Boremuff linked to Charlie in the papers.

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:45:22 »

Southampton would be ideal for him. Howe would cream his pants at the chance of signing him, but that's a step down as previously mentioned.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:50:13 »

I normally hate these ITK rumors but my nephew is friends with Charlie and his missus and the last time they spoke Charlie expressed his desire to play for Liverpool.

Thats not to say he will go there but thats where his agent will push for.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:54:57 »

I normally hate these ITK rumors but my nephew is friends with Charlie and his missus and the last time they spoke Charlie expressed his desire to play for Liverpool.

Thats not to say he will go there but thats where his agent will push for.

Not unreasonable, if Rickie Lambert is good enough for them, then Austin certainly is.

His next step up would feasibly be a top 10 side, someone like Liverpool, Spurs or Everton.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #312 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 14:59:46 »

Its still a real punt though isn't it.

Hmm, beginning to think he might work out in the professional game after all..
Peter Venkman

« Reply #313 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 15:11:09 »

Not unreasonable, if Rickie Lambert is good enough for them, then Austin certainly is.

His next step up would feasibly be a top 10 side, someone like Liverpool, Spurs or Everton.

With better players around him and a better supply through midfield/wingers he will get 25 a season in the Premiership easily IMO. Much better finisher than Lambert ever was or could dream of being.

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 15:22:26 »

With better players around him and a better supply through midfield/wingers he will get 25 a season in the Premiership easily IMO. Much better finisher than Lambert ever was or could dream of being.

Maybe, but Lambert was banging them in from all over until a year ago. Still have fond memories of the away game at Southampton where we got battered and won 1-0, Austin rounding Kelvin Davies and tapping home Smiley

« Last Edit: Sunday, May 10, 2015, 15:25:02 by reeves4england » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: