Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What's the scam here?  (Read 3948 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 10:25:31 »

Kerry Red, you might be doing everybody a favour by reporting the facts to Auto Trader!!
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 10:42:05 »

if its too good to be true, then it probably is.
DMR

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 11:01:47 »

if its too good to be true, then it probably is.

What would we do without you?
nochee

« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 11:02:58 »

Kerry Red, you might be doing everybody a favour by reporting the facts to Auto Trader!!
Autotrader get paid per ad, why would they give a fuck
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 12:40:54 »

Autotrader get paid per ad, why would they give a fuck
Fair play!
Peter Gibbons

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 12:57:04 »

These two websites look VERY VERY similar to me:

http://www.bucks-motors.co.uk/
http://www.popeswoodgarage.co.uk/

Could have co-incidentally used the same tool to create the sites I suppose. Both sites have been registered for a few years, but that doesn't make them genuine. They could have been hacked too I suppose.

Anyway, if it looks look poop, smells like poop it probably is poop.

The latter is a real garage, not very big mind.  You can see it on street view.  From their forecourt, more likely to find a 6 year old Corsa.

I have had some dealings with the former.  Not enough dealings to be able to comment on whether they are legit or crooked mind.

It's not that I'm lazy.  It's that I just don't care.
kerry red

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 21:41:42 »

Here's an email I got in response to an enquiry about one of the cars

Hi!

I still got the 2007 Audi A3 SE 1.9 TDI for sale at the price of £ 1800. The car is in excellent condition, garage kept, accident free and low mileage. We live in the Northern part of Scotland, in a beautiful sea-side town called Durness.
We are a nice couple of pensioners (I am 64 and my beloved wife is 63 years old) and don't use the car so often. Also we sold our properties and bought a nice farm here in Durness. If you are really interested we will be happy to meet you in person in a suitable place for both. You can take the car for a test-drive and any kind of inspection are welcomed.
Please let me know where are you based because I am sure that we can find a nice city in England to arrange a meeting.

The main reason for this sacrifice is that I have to pay urgently the notice of a final deposit for a new boat or I will lose £11500.

Cracker, eh!!!

Thank you and let me know,

Jake Abbott

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 22:44:10 »

Yeah right, meet me in a lay-by on the A643, you can trust me Guv, I'm old, retired and therefore trustworthy. Honest.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 22:54:17 »

Am I being thick? You see a car advertised, you call to see if it's still for sale. You arrange to view it, you can pay to get a report on it, you check all the documents are there, you can even get a recognised body to check it's roadworthy. If it's a heap of shit or owned by a lease company then you walk away.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 23, 2013, 23:03:21 »

Am I being thick? You see a car advertised, you call to see if it's still for sale....

A too cheap to be true car car that was seemingly advertised by two different fairly local garages, but that had personal email contact details and is now claimed to be in Scotland...

Erm, surely that sets some alarm bells ringing.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Monday, June 24, 2013, 06:33:30 »

A too cheap to be true car car that was seemingly advertised by two different fairly local garages, but that had personal email contact details and is now claimed to be in Scotland...

Erm, surely that sets some alarm bells ringing.

This is because they will kindly agree to meet you half way to save you travelling all the way to Scotland to view the car... Or even arrange to have it delivered to you on a 'if you don't like it you can return it' basis - once of course you have transferred your money via western union...
« Last Edit: Monday, June 24, 2013, 10:46:45 by @MacPhlea » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Monday, June 24, 2013, 07:49:33 »

A garage would take it off their hands and sell for a profit if they really wanted.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Monday, June 24, 2013, 08:47:54 »

I pretty sure you're steering well clear by now KR. I can't help wondering if either of those garages even knows they're "selling" those cars just to make the ad sound a little more creditable.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: