Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 47878 times)
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 14:54:21 »

Yes, and if he signed him it'd be 150K fee straight up, and then something like 300K on wages... in other words about half a mill.

He's out of contract in the summer and can only for us or Bradford until then so will not command any sort of transfer fee.  Just by agreeing to take him totally off their wage bill they are getting more than they have now.   Bradfords other options are to pay for all him and play him, but he wasn't effective there, or keep the loan as is. 

Probably down to Doyle as he may want 3 year deal or hope for champ or Salford move in the summer after such a good season.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 15:19:38 »

I’m sure we’ll keep at least 2 of the 3 for the rest of the season.

On the flip side though we’ve got 4 games to go before there is any risk of them going back. If we get a significant return from those games then we’ll be top and have the pick of the transfer market for this league in January as Wellens has mentioned on a number of occasions.

If we keep all 3 then it will be the most boring January window that we’ve ever had in terms of incomings which would be strangely enjoyable.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 15:33:44 »

According to the Adver today Shrewsbury have shown no interest whatsoever in talking to Grant since he joined us. No way they want him back and can’t imagine him wanting to join another club with promotion a very real possibility with us.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 16:26:00 »

According to the Adver today Shrewsbury have shown no interest whatsoever in talking to Grant since he joined us. No way they want him back and can’t imagine him wanting to join another club with promotion a very real possibility with us.

Quote ‘According to the Adver today Shrewsbury have shown no interest whatsoever in talking to Grant since he joined us.’ You then add, ‘No way they want him back’  are you sure? The article says according to Grant he has had no contact with Shrewsbury. That maybe true, what about his agent? What about Wellens or our club secretary?

Of course as a fan like me and others, we’d love to have AG stay, bloke is an immense leg end in the making. What you really mean is you hope the Shrews don’t want him back don’t you?

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 16:35:52 »

Seeing as he was ostracised at Shrewsbury and made to train with the kids prior to joining us, the fact they haven’t been in contact with him at all points to the fact they don’t want him.

Doesn’t mean another club may not want him.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #290 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 16:52:55 »

Seeing as he was ostracised at Shrewsbury and made to train with the kids prior to joining us, the fact they haven’t been in contact with him at all points to the fact they don’t want him.

I would think that watching his performances this season for us then any club in the bottom 2 divisions would be eager to take him on.

That said he says hes very happy at Swindon and has yet to win any promotion at any club previously so hopefully he will want to stay and add a promotion to his CV, he seems to love playing under Wellens so fingers crossed that will give us the advantage in signing him in January from Shrewsbury who just want rid of him.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 16:56:23 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 18:16:27 »

His track record everywhere else has been mixed to say the least, always seems to go sour on disciplinary issues. Wellens is finally getting the best out of him, he'll be as keen to keep that as we are to keep him
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 18:17:52 »

It's certainly a situation without precedent, it's now a dozen games since one of our own players scored a goal, of those dozen DJ scored in 1, all the others 11 have seen goals by Yates or Doyle or no-one.  Of course even if our own we could lose them to injury, but such reliance on players who can soon be recalled was always likely to cause a problem.
Although it hasn't yet, has it?
flammableBen

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 01:28:04 »

Although it hasn't yet, has it?

We are massively dependent on two goal scorers and a back-up in january could be useful, especially as we don't know what's going to happen with either.

I reckon (hope) Power will bite the cost with doyle and we'll get Yates on loan untill the end of the season to move on there depending on where we and rotherham are. or something.

But whoever said above, the Rory Fallon comparison is apt. Didn't he end up scoring something stupid like 5 goals in 60mins for us coming off the bench. You do need that back up. Not sure we have the youths to make a breakthrough at the moment.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 07:30:46 »

His punishment for whatever he did does point to an ambivalence from the Shrews. If they suddenly changed manager that could change very quickly, not likely so let’s hope not. As for other clubs, well being top of the table does put the club in the spotlight whether we want it or not not and if, if we maintain the form and league position we have along with the players we currently have i’d be surprised if no other club came sniffing around at seasons end for any quality OOC players.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 08:28:26 »

His punishment for whatever he did does point to an ambivalence from the Shrews. If they suddenly changed manager that could change very quickly, not likely so let’s hope not. As for other clubs, well being top of the table does put the club in the spotlight whether we want it or not not and if, if we maintain the form and league position we have along with the players we currently have i’d be surprised if no other club came sniffing around at seasons end for any quality OOC players.
I think that's the most likely thing to potentially scupper a deal for Grant...new manager comes in, wants to assess what he has, recalls the loanees... As you say though, you would think it would be unlikely as Shrews seem to be going well in L1...although this is football we're talking about...

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #296 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 09:13:40 »

Epic result that - superb!

Clems Army!
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #297 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 11:21:17 »

I know that PV's already trawled a few views from over on the Grim forum, but I always like fishing for compliments after a convincing away win so I thought I'd cast my net this morning to see what the weekend had dragged up. They're not happy haddocks:

Quote from: thefishyforum
318 - That's a poor following for a team top of the table even considering the time of year.

I was there yesterday but have just seen the goals again. Jesus - they were much worse than my first impressions. Macca was like  Bambi on ice there on a more or less perfect pitch. The second goal - Hewitt doing a light jog to get goalside and then turning his back on the shot. What a shower.

More tactics and skill in subbuteo.

They were a better side and are top of the League for a reason. Every single player was better than ours, they understood their system... they worked harder, smarter and played with more purpose. We looked like 11 strangers who didn't have a clue how they were supposed to be playing. Men v boys.

To be fair my dog hopes we go down - he didn't get as many after match kickings when we were in the Conference.

If Macclesfield go under, that could save us.

Town defenders do know that they are allowed to tackle right? Swindon players are just waltzing around our box knowing they aren’t going to get tackled. It’s embarrassing. Set pieces awful, passing woeful, no creativity, don’t look like scoring, midfield non existent, I’ve already turned iFollow off.

Swindon are quick coming forward. You can see why they're top.  They don't give you a second on the ball, Town not so much. Swindon go down too easily in my opinion.

I'm at the game. They are everything we are not. No movement no passing slow closing down constant high balls to Hanson. They get the ball they have time and space to play it. We get the ball there's three Swindon players closing us down with no Town player to pass to. Utterly awful - no improvement on Slade or Jolley. Devoid of any ideas.

McKeown at fault for the first. I know he stumbled, but it looked to me that he panicked as he thought the header was better than it actually was. Should have been an easy catch. Of course, the chance in the first place came because Gibson was ball watching at a throw, letting their man get the first cross in easily. He's had a stinker so far today albeit against a strong and powerful winger. Hewitt well out of position for the second, but it was just one of those things as we had two defenders there to try and block the shot - might have hit both of them! We look like a nervous team, lacking in confidence and not willing to try a forward pass when a backward one is available. They look a good team and have plenty of pace and athleticism which is making us look pedestrian in the middle.

Can see why Swindon are top though tbh. Look solid and compact off the ball, first to the second balls too. And with a poacher like Doyle, don’t need to create much to score as he puts most chances away.

Shower of shite versus a bunch of cheats that are a level above us. Tedious viewing.

They were a cut above us in reality....but we did very little to help ourselves. Felt sorry for the fullbacks as almost every single time Swindon came forward they had 2 v 1 in wide positions.

Other than Davis, Hess and Robson as sub, no one was good enough, though it crazes me that good footballers like Doughty and Grant need to roll around like they’ve been shot. Swindon will get promoted and, courtesy of Bury, possibly Macclesfield, we won’t go down.

I think the scoreline flattered them a bit.  Sure, they were by the better side but we did show some promise at times.  if we'd been in a play off place and beaten by Swindon we'd say that but we are crucifying our team for losing to a really quick slick football team that added 'gamesmanship'into the mix. Who puts on a sub a minute from time when you're 3 up?!

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #298 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 11:27:13 »

Are we a bunch of cheats? Do we - Grant - go down too easily? Are we any different to any other team?

Tbf, Grant has taken winning a free kick to an admirable level!
Flashheart

« Reply #299 on: Monday, December 9, 2019, 11:29:07 »

I didn't notice any diving from us. I did notice at least one noticeable dive from them, though.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: