Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Grimsby v Swindon pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 47877 times)
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #270 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:34:14 »

FWIW I just can't see Power shelling out the necessary for an over 30 striker, by way of fee and wages, but Yates could be a possibilty....
I can - and I think he will. We shall see come January...exciting times ahead hopefully Hmmm
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #271 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:40:30 »

I can - and I think he will. We shall see come January...exciting times ahead hopefully Hmmm
I agree, Power can see his worth and the financial rewards of promotion that he could well bring us with his goals.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
come on you redssss

Ignore
« Reply #272 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:43:46 »

Despite what some people think, Power isn’t stupid. He should be aware that this is our best chance at promotion from this division since relegation, and I can’t see why he wouldn’t dig deep into his pockets to make sure we hold on to three players who are instrumental to our success.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #273 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:53:07 »

I agree, Power can see his worth and the financial rewards of promotion that he could well bring us with his goals.
I just think that as he's committed himself this far, it doesn't make sense for him to not follow through and get him here on a perm.

IF we were to get Doyle, Yates and Grant in for the rest of the season by whatever means along with eventually signing Donohue (who I think will prove to be invaluable in the run in) that would be an absolutely epic transfer window - with the addition of Caddis the squad will be looking the best it has done for years. I know it's asking a lot for all of that to happen but I believe Power will do all he can in his...ahem...power, to make it so...
Peter Venkman

« Reply #274 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:55:17 »

I just think that as he's committed himself this far, it doesn't make sense for him to not follow through and get him here on a perm.

IF we were to get Doyle, Yates and Grant in for the rest of the season by whatever means along with eventually signing Donohue (who I think will prove to be invaluable in the run in) that would be an absolutely epic transfer window - with the addition of Caddis the squad will be looking the best it has done for years. I know it's asking a lot for all of that to happen but I believe Power will do all he can in his...ahem...power, to make it so...
I can't disagree with any of that, whether or not we will sign those 4 I can't say but it will be pivotal to our promotion push though.

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:57:07 »

I can't disagree with any of that, whether or not we will sign those 4 I can't say but it will be pivotal to our promotion push though.
No doubt about it - and Power is as aware of that as anyone  Yes
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 11:58:27 »

Look at it logically... ED will be 32 in March, a contract would have to be for at least 2 years, and I'm sure Bradford would ask for a fee. If he did get us up then, in his last 2 seasons at Div 3 level he's played for relegated sides.  For sure we want to keep him til end of the season, but you have to weigh that against tying up money in an a depreciating asset.  Think signing Yates would be much more of a Power thing.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:16:05 »

Then, why did Power stump a large percentage of Doyle’s £5k per week wages in the first place if he thought it was just an interim solution.

Surely he would have told Wellens to spend the ‘x’ amount on someone who may appreciate. In essence, Power has committed to paying somewhere around £150,000 to cover Doyle’s wages for the entire term of his loan.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:29:17 »

Then, why did Power stump a large percentage of Doyle’s £5k per week wages in the first place if he thought it was just an interim solution.

Surely he would have told Wellens to spend the ‘x’ amount on someone who may appreciate. In essence, Power has committed to paying somewhere around £150,000 to cover Doyle’s wages for the entire term of his loan.

Yes, and if he signed him it'd be 150K fee straight up, and then something like 300K on wages... in other words about half a mill.

Strange things do happen in football, but we seen no previous evidence in Power's time that he operates in that fashion.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #279 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:37:31 »

Look at it logically... ED will be 32 in March, a contract would have to be for at least 2 years, and I'm sure Bradford would ask for a fee. If he did get us up then, in his last 2 seasons at Div 3 level he's played for relegated sides.  For sure we want to keep him til end of the season, but you have to weigh that against tying up money in an a depreciating asset.  Think signing Yates would be much more of a Power thing.
Power has changed his model though.

In the past he has signed only young player worth developing and selling, he quickly found out that for every Luongo you have a Rodgers and for every Gladwin you have a BOO plus many more useless ones.

Would the age 30+ players Doyle, Grant, Baudry, Rose, McCormick and Caddis all have been signed using that model?

I would say definately not, Power has come to realise that you need experience as well as raw youth and if the right players become available and work with our squad then he will sign them, fee or no fee. Power has never been shy of putting up a fee for any player.

There is not one Swindon fan that can say we do not need Grant, Doyle and Donohue for the rest of the season, that also applies to the management and owner too, they arent blind, they can see what and who works in the side and who doesn't.

Its not all about the bottom line of selling a player for proft any more at the expense of the team.

We are not a Youth side any more, we have many players with bags of experience in the side and they compliment each other and are not just a team of raw young individuals after making their way in a career using us as a stepping stone.

There is no doubt at all that every player in this Town side could easily step up a division and perform for at least another 2 years at a higher level, no doubt at all. You state Doyle will be 32 before the end of the season.

Look at Jamie Cureton....shit with us but carried on scoring at a decent level for several years after he left. He even scored 12 goals for Norwich in the Championship aged 35 and carried on playing league football until he was 39.

Steve White who was 35 and still scoring for fun when he left us and carried on for Hereferd and Cardiff until he was 39 and STILL scoring.

Ian Rush playing and still scoring for Liverpool aged 35, Micahel Owen still playing and scoring in the Prem aged 33, Alan Shearer still playing and scoring for Newcastle aged 36, Dennis Law playing for Man City aged 34,

20 goal a season strikers are very hard to come by and worth their weight in gold.

If a player keeps himself fit then he can carry on at a decent level until mid 30s these days easily, Doyle looks as fit as any Town player IMO, even those 13 years his junior.
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:41:34 by Peter Venkman » Logged

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:46:57 »

Plus, if the end game is in sight for Power re his exit strategy, then a L1 club with a young, successful manager would be worth a few more shekels than a L2 club. A bit more cash spent now should increase the club’s value by a couple of million if all goes well.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #281 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:48:29 »

Plus, if the end game is in sight for Power re his exit strategy, then a L1 club with a young, successful manager would be worth a few more shekels than a L2 club. A bit more cash spent now should increase the club’s value by a couple of million if all goes well.
Exactly.

Power is no mug even if a lot of our fans seem to think he is.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:51:17 »

The experienced players we've signed have been out of contract types looking for a club, therefore reasonably priced, nothing wrong with that it's been Power's way of working trying to get value for money and not splurging.

Maybe there is a way of Doyle seeing out his loan... I suppose it's possible that Bowyer won't want a disaffected player kicking around his squad
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:56:14 »

Look at it logically... ED will be 32 in March, a contract would have to be for at least 2 years, and I'm sure Bradford would ask for a fee. If he did get us up then, in his last 2 seasons at Div 3 level he's played for relegated sides.  For sure we want to keep him til end of the season, but you have to weigh that against tying up money in an a depreciating asset.  Think signing Yates would be much more of a Power thing.
Think you're right that Yates is a better fit for Power, but I still think he'll be prepared to sign both (although personally I reckon Rotherham won't want to let Yates go but will be happy to extend his loan so he'll only need to sign Doyle) and be prepared to effectively write Doyle's 2nd year off as the cost of promotion. L1 club with momentum behind it is a much more saleable asset than a club middling about in L2.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: Sunday, December 8, 2019, 12:58:27 »

The other variation in recruitment strategy has been those we have signed on perms - bit of a chequered past but too good for L2, a bit of a gamble.

Fryers, Isgrove, Liden - all freebies, got to be worth a few quid now.

Thanks to Wellens.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22   Go Up
Print
Jump to: