Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This Summer...  (Read 1795 times)
Dazzza

« on: Saturday, April 9, 2005, 17:00:06 »

Seasons not over just yet but it looks like it may as well be.

Looking towards the summer there is a shit load of work that needs to be done both off and on the pitch.

First thing that needs to be sorted is ticket prices.  The board have to get it right, there is no doubt about it.  After the run down of this season they cannot afford to have a situation where supporters once again start to seriously think if the outlay is really worth it.

Transfer budget.  Get it sorted and get it done quickly.  King needs to know exactly how much he has to play with from the off.  With the transfer windows not only will there not be any chance of grabbing cover but it’s vital that we start with a full deck (bar the manager that is!).  Another farce like last season with Orr and the budget just cannot happen again.

Assistant manager.  The club don’t want to fork out for a man over the summer, fair enough.  But it needs to be sorted out before pre-season to try and stabilise what will be a very different squad to the one this season.

Sam Parkin’s future needs to be resolved pronto.  A summer of will he/won’t he despite what most of us already consider a certainty will not help anyone.  Either decide to sell, take the cash and plan ahead or nail him to the floorboards and attempt to get him to re-sign up for an additional six months so we are not faced with a January car boot sale on the cheap.

Squad wise let’s try and get it sorted as soon as possible.  No doubt big changes are afoot so let’s get them out of the way so we can plan ahead.  I think we really need a more of an experienced, physical element to the side.  A couple of mouthy experienced Joe Royal-esque dogs of war to compliment a younger element of more attacking flair players would be nice to see.  Finally a big name(ish) signing may help morale and ticket sales after the low of Parkin’s departure.  Someone to create a bit of buzz and at the same time still have plenty to contribute.  Macateer and Barmby for Tranmere and Hull respectively this season have both had a big impact.  Both are a bit of an exception to the rule at this level and I doubt we could tempt anything of that calibre but if the price is right grab em.

Finally the new Stadium.  Please for the love of god get it right I cannot take another pre-season of Stadium diasters and NIMBY's tarring the club.  Let's get some positive news and a bit of hype generated.

Amen.

Nils

« Reply #1 on: Saturday, April 9, 2005, 17:04:32 »

You cannot really argue with any of that.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, April 9, 2005, 17:09:17 »

Quote from: "dazzza"
Seasons not over just yet but it looks like it may as well be.

It may as well be, in all honesty.

First thing that needs to be sorted is ticket prices.  The board have to get it right, there is no doubt about it.  After the run down of this season they cannot afford to have a situation where supporters once again start to seriously think if the outlay is really worth it.

Logically, you'd imagine this would be the case wouldn't you? Unfortunately, attendances are dwindling again and if the club managed to raise prices this season after some bumper crowds last season, then what hope have we got? Expect £25 on the day for Arkells/Nationwide and £17 for the Town End. Especially with the final large CVA payment due - anyone know how much that is btw?

Transfer budget.  Get it sorted and get it done quickly.  King needs to know exactly how much he has to play with from the off.  With the transfer windows not only will there not be any chance of grabbing cover but it’s vital that we start with a full deck (bar the manager that is!).  Another farce like last season with Orr and the budget just cannot happen again.

Agreed but I think a lot of it depends on how soon the situation with Parkin can be sorted out, not to mention the other out of contract players. We could see a scenario of players leaving to be replaced by two players of average quality simply to flesh out the squad.

Assistant manager.  The club don’t want to fork out for a man over the summer, fair enough.  But it needs to be sorted out before pre-season to try and stabilise what will be a very different squad to the one this season.

Agreed totally, the club are trying to cut corners here - which is fair enough - but we need somebody in place before pre-season training starts, preferably before we make any 'big' signings.

Sam Parkin’s future needs to be resolved pronto.  A summer of will he/won’t he despite what most of us already consider a certainty will not help anyone.  Either decide to sell, take the cash and plan ahead or nail him to the floorboards and attempt to get him to re-sign up for an additional six months so we are not faced with a January car boot sale on the cheap.

I like Dave's idea of tying him to the Town End. He won't be much use when we're attacking the Stratton Bank but with a flexible bungee rope he could be deadly.

It should be an interesting summer, but I do worry that it will be for all the wrong reasons.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, April 9, 2005, 18:59:17 »

alot is going to happen and hopefully it will be positive so next season we can go back to where we should be...the first divsion  Smiley
STFCDude

« Reply #4 on: Saturday, April 9, 2005, 21:11:47 »

Especially with the final large CVA payment due - anyone know how much that is btw?

Its about 900k I think
Dazzza

« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 10, 2005, 05:53:44 »

Two years and we are screwed.  

09:35 - 12 March 2005

Swindon Town face financial meltdown in 2007 unless their dream of a new stadium is realised. The club's finance director, Sandy Gray, has outlined exactly why a new or improved home is vital in order for the club to survive.

Cash-strapped Swindon are living a hand-to-mouth existence but must prepare to settle a 900,000 bill in 2007 which relates to their second spell in administration in 2002.

As it emerged from that period, the club signed a company voluntary arrangement (CVA) setting out how it would repay 1.3million to its unsecured creditors over five years.

The plan involved four payments of 100,000 starting in 2003 and a final payment of 900,000 by December 31, 2007.

Failure to raise these funds could result in liquidation, but Gray insists the board will not let that scenario arise.

The club is pinning its hopes on a new home that would include money-generating non-football facilities such as a hotel, shops and restaurants

Whits
Morphined Up

« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 10, 2005, 10:57:46 »

£900k!! we are losing that almost yearly at the moment, ,its been fun guys....

Plays in midfield and his name is Tommy Miller,
signed him from Huddersfield his name is Tommy Miller,
first touch is average but his second is a killer,
heeeeeey Tommy Miller!
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 10, 2005, 12:38:29 »

I wish I hadn't asked  :shock:
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 10, 2005, 14:02:37 »

Sir Seton will probably bail us out again (hopefully).

HJave to agree with everything there dazza.

I think the main problem is replacing parkin (assuming he goes)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: