Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Gillingham Official Matchday Thread  (Read 25309 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:00:19 »

The Opponent:    Gillingham

A whole week away from matchday action has left us with plenty of time to speculate on our alleged £450’000 worth of striker, once again it will be all eyes peeled on the Arkells to see if anyone remotely footballer like is sat down with someone remotely agent like. Now I am happy to think that it could well happen, after all, if we are even looking to be a sustainable league 1 football club for the next few seasons to come, we are still going to need a striker.  You can guarantee that Andy Williams will score a hatful for Yeovil, now his return to Somerset has been confirmed. Since we last met, Mark Cooper has been passed the responsibility of making us the new Swansea.  I empathise with those who wanted a big name, we were spoilt with Di Canio, but we have to give Cooper a reasonable chance.

Today’s visit from The Pikies is an interesting one for me. I grew up in Kent and watched them on quite a few occasions as it was the nearest thing to league football that was on offer. I can honestly say that the hostility that came out of the old Rainham End at Priestfield is quite an experience. OK, they’re not what you may call the Galatasary of South East England by any means, but the knuckle dragging element of the club were a nasty bunch. Even a few years back when we were in the away end we had coins and lumps of stones being thrown at us, from the fucking family stand!

Its an odd ‘rivalry’. Something of a one sided effort really. A Kentish friend of mine tells me they still sing their hatred for us on a regular basis, despite most of us not really considering Gillingham as rivals but more as something to take the piss out of, see Franchise as a similar example, albeit the ‘rivalry’ being in place for many different reasons. There is not much nice to say about Gillingham as a place, the most positive aspect of the town being the platform at the train station that takes you away from the place. Medway is full of travellers, seriously, they are everywhere, not just caravan folk but those that have tarmacced enough driveways and flogged enough lucky heather to buy their very own council house.  Funnily enough, Gillingham is recorded in The Doomsday Book of 1089, it is believed the name came from a Warlord, Gyllingas, (Gyllin meaning “to shout”), and he always led his followers in to battle screaming and shouting. Gillingham’s most notable resident in recent times is none other than Pop Idol 2003 winner, Rik Waller, or ‘that fat cunt’ as he is more commonly known. To be fair they did also produce David Frost, Brian Moore and spiky haired chef Gary Rhodes, but that will never make up for the fact that The Luftwaffe could have done so much more than bomb London, when Gillingham was just a short flight down the road.

The last time we met at – The County Ground –  Back in October 2011, after a sticky start to the season, we beat the pikies 2-0, with goals from Matt Ritchie and Jonathan Smith. If memory serves, it was this game that earned Luke Rooney a six figured (not fingered) deal!

They’ve played for us both – Alan Reeeeves, Iffy, Ty Gooden, Luke Rooney, Aaron Brown, Frank Nouble, Curtis Weston, Callum Kennedy and Moses bloody Ashikodi again.

Where the opposition gather –  http://fansonline.net/gillingham/mb/view.php?id=198766

“I'd be a bit careful going to Swindon myself....they're known for having a bullying element who will have a go at the normal away fan....especially us”. Reg? Crispy?

Last 6 – DLLLLD (Half of these were in League 2)

The Odds – Swindon 5/6   Draw 13/5  Pikies 16/5. The 9/2 generally on offer for Andy Williams to score 1st is not looking great value right now, however, the 18/1 Skybet offer on Luongo to score 1st is a fair bit better than the 7/1 that Bet 365 are offering for the same player.

The Son Says –  After explaining for 10 minutes how this lot see themselves as our rivals he scratched his nuts and plumped for a 2-0 home win.

The Prediction – So who is going to score the goals? To be fair, Williams effort of 1 in 4 this season was about as good as we were ever going to get out of him so its time for someone to step up. I am going for a 2-1 win, with goals from Luongo and Harley, 7’920 in attendance with 590 from the armpit of England.

And Finally – Ray McHale became a scout for Oldham Athletic in 2001 and after they suffered from financial problems he was relieved of his duties and became an FA Tutor. Ray now lives in Spain where he coaches youngsters and plays a rather decent round of golf.

COYR COYR COYR
sonicyouth

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:03:09 »

4-1 to Gillingham.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 23, 2013, 23:08:26 »

I would love ty gooden ti play for us again;

We will lose convincingly tomrowo
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 00:32:08 »

The Opponent:    Gillingham
“I'd be a bit careful going to Swindon myself....they're known for having a bullying element who will have a go at the normal away fan....especially us”. Reg?

It all kicked off in 1895, when 3 railwaymen from Chatham turned up for the Test Match v New Brompton at the Croft. Over a beer in what was the Fountain, but now the Pig on the Hill....there was a disagreement with some Town fans over which was the better railway....London, Chatham, and Dover, or the Great Western...during this altercation Kentish ale was spilled on the floor. They have long memories.
grubby

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 07:06:15 »

Another good read. Mad me laugh at this early hour. 
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 07:18:27 »

2-1 defeat.
Minnesota Fats

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 07:22:04 »

It all kicked off in 1895, when 3 railwaymen from Chatham turned up for the Test Match v New Brompton at the Croft. Over a beer in what was the Fountain, but now the Pig on the Hill....there was a disagreement with some Town fans over which was the better railway....London, Chatham, and Dover, or the Great Western...during this altercation Kentish ale was spilled on the floor. They have long memories.

You're not far off! The Test match was played at Reading and obviously New Brompton had the locals supporting them. The fact we lost easily and should've been relegated but weren't, because the league was expanded, probably pissed them off even more.
Still, I won't mention the fact those cunts tapped up one of our players a few seasons later with an illegal approach.

Cheating cunts.

2-2 today.

Roland The Thompson Gunner
otanswell

Fuck em all...

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 07:28:23 »

A 1-0 victory for us on the pitch and a few brain damaged pikies off it

« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 07:39:03 »

A fine and convincing victory today, 1-0 (Storey)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:16:03 »

A draw today....

Clems Army!
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:17:12 »

A low scoring draw or a 1-0 defeat.
DRS

« Reply #11 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:18:08 »

3-0 home win
Dozno9

« Reply #12 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:19:42 »

I'll go for 7,055, I hope it's better now the holiday season is finishing.
kerry red

« Reply #13 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:37:09 »

Decades ago I remember being in their home end on, I think, a Boxing Day game.

There was very little seasonal goodwill - and have hated the Pikey fuckwits ever since.

10-0 all scored by Ranger in the last 20 minutes.

7405 in attendance with 416 lucky heather sellers
Stegenfreud

Say what now?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, August 24, 2013, 08:43:02 »

I cannot stand the Pikeys.

1-0 (Ward) 7,014 (426)

simon FERRY cross the avon... do do.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: