Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another mass shooting  (Read 12342 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #30 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:21:32 »

*Pedantry*A debate is an argument *pedantry*

Interesting link Nick. Didn't know about that.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:21:35 »

Jon Williams BBC foreign editor tweets: Truly shocking: in 2009 (latest yr) 31,347 killed by firearms in US. Almost as many as road accidents (via @MicahZenko)

In 2008, in the UK there were 39. If someone has flipped and is intent they will find a gun, but the US makes it very easy in comparison to the UK.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:21:43 »

After the shootings at that batman premiere I genuinely heard a pro gun lobbyist saying that the area the cinema was in was one where it was illegal to carry a gun.  If it wasn't illegal someone would have taken him out and it would have all been fine.

Never knowingly overstated.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:29:31 »

de·bate  [dih-beyt]
noun
a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints

ar·gu·ment  [ahr-gyuh-muh nt]  Show IPA
noun
a discussion involving differing points of view; debate

Cant argue with that....rather i cant debate that Cheesy
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:31:33 »

In 2008, in the UK there were 39. If someone has flipped and is intent they will find a gun, but the US makes it very easy in comparison to the UK.

There was probably more deaths by 'friendly fire' by US troops than deaths in the UK.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:31:50 »

how many is that per 100,000 people though? the massive difference in population makes comparisons such as those very skewed.

Cant argue with that....rather i cant debate that Cheesy

we all love a mass debate now and then...

i'm not convinced that changing gun laws in the US will ever make a difference. the guns are out there, the culture will not change because of a change of law and as instances around the world has proved, these tragic events will still happen.

it's a sad thought.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:35:34 »

After the shootings at that batman premiere I genuinely heard a pro gun lobbyist saying that the area the cinema was in was one where it was illegal to carry a gun.  If it wasn't illegal someone would have taken him out and it would have all been fine.

This is a widely held view in the US.

I am a member if a couple of American Football forums & on one of those they have already pooh pooh'ed the idea of Gun Control in relation to this tragedy & even suggested that IF teachers were allowed to carry guns then that would stop events like this.

They can't comprehend that less guns might equal less shootings.
« Last Edit: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:37:19 by Posh Red » Logged
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:36:46 »

how many is that per 100,000 people though? the massive difference in population makes comparisons such as those very skewed.

With the population of the US being around 5 times bigger (Est. 63m v Est. 315m), that would be 195 v 31347 !!

BAZINGA !!

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:38:21 »

With the population of the US being around 5 times bigger (Est. 63m v Est. 315m), that would be 195 v 31347 !!
ok, must work on my mathematics.

not arguing the point that more relaxed gun laws are the way forward, i'm just cynical.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:39:42 »

I am a member if a couple of American Football forums & on one of those they have already pooh pooh'ed the idea of Gun Control in relation to this tragedy & even suggested that IF teachers were allowed to carry guns then that would stop events like this.

I was going to stay out of this but...teachers should be armed?!

Sweet Jesus.  Where do you start with that?
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:42:12 »

They can't comprehend that less guns might equal less shootings.

It's amazing to think that instead of having less guns in the classroom...they want more.

What happens then if a teacher decides to take out pupils he/she doesn't like?

BAZINGA !!

sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:42:39 »

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/fischer-god-didnt-stop-ct-school-shooting-because-hes-gentleman-who-doesnt-go-where-he-not-w

Brian Fischer spent the first hour of his radio program today discussing this morning's truly horrific shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut, which he, of course, blamed on the fact that prayer, the Bible, and the Ten Commandments are not taught in public schools.

Fischer said that God could have protected the victims of this massacre, but didn't because "God is not going to go where he is not wanted" and so if school administrators really want to protect students, they will start every school day with prayer:
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:43:20 »

I was going to stay out of this but...teachers should be armed?!

Sweet Jesus.  Where do you start with that?

You start by shooting the shooter...i think it is a good idea and would be a deterrent as well i reckon.
I have always though having an armed guard on air flights(plain clothed)would help stop hijackings.
Flashheart

« Reply #43 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:45:46 »

i think it is a good idea and would be a deterrent as well i reckon.

Well it really deterred today's shooter, whom got shot dead. As were others before him.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, December 14, 2012, 20:48:04 »

how many is that per 100,000 people though? t

To answer the question :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_firearm-related_death_rate

US 9 per 100,000 (2.98 murders, 5.75 suicide, 0.27 accidental)
UK 0.22 per 100,000 (0.03 murders, 0.16 suicide, 0.01 accidental)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: