Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Bob Willis  (Read 3743 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 10:50:40 »

Fucking hell, is he the most boring person on earth? Listening to him drone on makes me lose all will to live. Thank fuck for Bumble!
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 13:52:47 »

yup id agree with u there! he is a total borin twat! then theres David Gower! much the same really!
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 16:08:13 »

bumble bumble!  Soapy Tit Wank
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 17:15:18 »

The Sky commentary time are the biggest load of bollocks you could ever listen to, apart from David Gower who has a bit of personality, actually knows what he is talking about and makes insightful comments.

Feel free to shoot Willis, Botham, AD, Allott (who is thankfully working for SABC in this series) and David Lloyd. Michael Holding as well whenever he works for them.

Sky better employ most of C4's commentators when everything moves over to them in 2006.
strooood
As black as Patrick from EastEnders who is officially the blackest man on the planet.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 17:34:23 »

i used to like C4s coverage because of "the analyst" in between overs. who, if he picked up something you had spotted yourself, made you feel like an expert Cool

officially blacker than the night.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 17:41:19 »

Yeah, Simon Hughes is a legend. I've got both his books - I haven't read a sports book better than either of them.
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 17:53:50 »

I like when Bob Willis goes off on one. At least he says what he really thinks.

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 18:46:00 »

But he doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.
DMR

« Reply #8 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 18:52:58 »

One Richie Benaud, there's only one...
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 18:54:16 »

Can't argue with that
Spencer_White

« Reply #10 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 21:10:35 »

Sorry, but I couldnt disagree more. Apart from Simon Hughes, Barry Richards and Atherton C4's team is crap. Their anchor man is Mark 'thats the best thing iv ever ever seen' Nicholas. Such a sycophantic brown noser. The fact that he said after meeting Mugabe in 1990 that it was 'the greatest day of his life' sums the bloke up. Dermot Reeve gets on my tits as well.

As for Sky, quality commentary team. I agree Allott can be a nob, but I dont dislike him. Botham is botham and will pull no punches. It was Botham that forced the cases of Harmison and Jones because he stuck by them through thick and thin. Sheer legend of the man means his words have force in English cricket and therefore I always want to know what he has to say. Gower, bit of class, always articulate puts his points across. Bumble, a personality, perhaps overrated and tries to live up to his 'Bumble' personality. Willis does drone, but knows his stuff and says stuff you wouldnt expect. Hussein is a bit of a nob sometimes, but having the last England captain and someone who knows the dressing room explicitly is fasinating. Holding, not really intersted, would rather be at the races.

The Sky team set the agenda for English cricket. C4 just go along with everything and say how great it all is. Sky have the legends of English cricket, their opinions will always be worth more. They dont care if they are on the box or not.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 21:24:37 »

Allott and Willis: Brilliant for insomniacs
Botham: Says things for effect rather than thinking them through. A great crickter but has no idea about the game. It was just two games ago he suggested moving the entire batting around around, why? Not even he knows.
Lloyd: Absolutely mad, should be in an old folks home
Hussain: Offers an insight as a recent captain, but is obsessed with telling us what Duncan Fletcher is thinking - is he a mind reader of something?
Gower: Quality

Nicholas: Qualiy presenter, but as you say he spoils his commentary with hyperbole
Atherton: Quality, particularly in dull afternoon sessions where you just like to relax
Boycott: A Yorkie which isn't good at the best of times, but no-one in the world knows batting as well as he does
Reeve: Average, but really livens things up when he takes the piss out of Boycs
Hughes: A superb feature
Benaud: The King
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 21:26:04 »

Mark Nicholas commentates on sky. The Australia home games. (he is the best, love it when he goes mental after a wicket).

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 21:36:45 »

I post on a cricket forum and we have a thread called Worst Commentators (which started in Oct 03)... here's some comments (from English, Aussies, Saffies, Indians, Pakistanis etc):

Bob Willis is by far the worst commentator for any sport ever!

Bob Willis, David Lloyd, Ian Botham, Charles Colville.
Plus any others on the Sky 'commentary' team.

Botham for me. Hearing him making comments in the ashes series drove me nuts. It was "oh, we suck, we can't beat anybody". And then after one win "oh, why didn't we play like that earlier, what talent, we could have easily won this series".

Allot and Willis are the worst.
Closely followed by the rest of the Sky team.

Botham and Colville are my least favourite, with (pattern emerging here) the rest of the sky team following. Also, Nasser Hussain was incredibly dull when he had a go at it (twenty/20 final IIRC).

Sky Sports has easily the worst commentary team. Thank God, they only cover England's matches.

Allott just said (2nd Test Ban v Eng), "It's a long chase for Vaughan. It's not going to go. It's a long, long chase for Vaughan. [Camera shows ball went over the boundary easily] Oh, it is going to go."
And these people get paid to splurt bullshit like this !

David Lloyd is awful, Botham is good in small doses as Dogbert said. Allott and Fowler are too Lancashire biased.

Mark Nicholas at his smarmy, England-supporting worst is just awful.

One of the worst is Paul Allott. I was just watching the highlights of the England vs SL Test and, all through SL's innings as Sangakkara, Jayasuriya et al were hitting glorious strokes any fan would just sit back and admire, all he could think of saying was "Vaughan really has to do something" or "This is not good for England".

Boycott is frank and forthright, and unlike what some people like to think its not coz he always talks from an Indian perspective. He calls rubbish rubbish whichever team is dishing it out. And do I just love his accent.  Most Indians love that accent.

Willis, Botham, Hussain & Co. would have to be the most biased commentators on the circut.

Been listening to some Nassar Hussein in the England-SA series, and he is ratherpainful.

All of the Sky Sports team, bar David Gower, are dull as dishwater. Ian Botham in particular is a one-eyed, self-opinionated idiot. As for Bob Willis...
spacey

« Reply #14 on: Monday, January 24, 2005, 21:43:04 »

The trick is to watch it with the sound turned down, and stick on some tunes.Works for me.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: