Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tactical Understanding  (Read 3019 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:30:13 »

Latest article in the excellent blog at The Washbag discusses & dissects our early season formation in minute detail.  And it made me realise that I'm not that much of a tactician.  I understand basic formations and I know that I like seeing a team built from a strong midfield, preferably with a play-maker who can slow things down and create opportunities.  But otherwise, I get too wrapped up in the game to analyse as the author has in the linked article.  I never played to a high (or, if I'm honest, even an average) level - which I'm sure has something to do with it.  I can comment well on individual performances, but I'm less good at seeing the over-arching plan.

Anyone else in the same boat as me, or are you all master tacticians as well?
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:33:09 »

I can see the tactics being deployed.

I am just usually too pissed to understand them
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:33:53 »

Exactly the same Ardiles. I have only played at Sunday league level which is only vageuly more advanced than hit and hope. When some of the more tacticaly astute members started talking about x drfiting inside to allow y to use the space over here thus nullifying the threat posed by z etc etc...quite frankly I feel a bit of a tit.

None of this is helped by the fact that I normally stand in the TE, and can barely see whats going on.
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:38:18 »

Glad you enjoyed the article Ardiles.

Alex's article really gives a fresh perspective on Di Canio's blueprint for the season ahead.

http://thewashbag.com/2011/09/08/town-tactics-form-vs-formation/

Dozno9

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:57:34 »

Any formation can be counteracted by the opposition's tactics no matter how you are set up.

When all's said and done if you haven't got good enough players tactical set-up falls down.

Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:57:54 »

Anyone else in the same boat as me, or are you all master tacticians as well?

My tactical wizzardary:

4-4-2 Variations:
With wingers
With a narrow midfield

4-5-1 Variations:
With a holding midfielder in front of back four.

Everything else is just incomprehensible continental guff to me. 4-1-2-1-2 - What the ****
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 08:59:16 »

Paul hart 433 is one of my favourites
Dozno9

« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 09:01:46 »

Paul hart 433 is one of my favourites

I do miss the Malpas 4-3-1/2-1/2-2
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 09:09:43 »

I enjoyed Andy Kings..

4 3 2  Van der linden.
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 09:38:09 »

Excellent article.
Like Ardiles I think I have just realised that despite 35+ years of watching and 10 years of Sunday league I know next to sod all about tactics & formations!
jb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 09:38:54 »

Great article as ever.

In terms of the inside out winger, I've always thought it was used to allow the winger to have more shots on goal with his favoured foot, turning the winger into more of a an attacking threat than being a provider.
the washbag

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 09:55:38 »

Great article as ever.

In terms of the inside out winger, I've always thought it was used to allow the winger to have more shots on goal with his favoured foot, turning the winger into more of a an attacking threat than being a provider.

Cheers

Several benefits to the inside out winger; playing the full-back on their weaker foot, diagonal runs to cut through the defence, diagonal runs pull one of the two central defenders out of position potentially creating space in the centre for the on-rushing central midfielder, shooting on favoured foot, diagonal runs create spaces on the wing for the overlapping full-back to support and supply crosses in (Caddis & Kennedy) etc etc

A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 10:05:51 »

Spot on Mr Washbag. Of course that is all predicated on the opposition playing right-footed fullbacks on the right etc. The latest trend is to have inside out fullbacks! Especially when that winger is Lionel Messi...
Keroooosh

« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 10:07:00 »

The issue with the inside out winger is with someone like Ritchie is when he gets to the byline he then has to cut back inside instead of whipping it in with his right foot. This can enable the defence to sort itself out and maybe lose the chance!

Saying that when i used to play football i played left wing even though im right footed and even managed a dizzy 12 goals aha

Tactics  Hmmm not my strong point!
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, September 8, 2011, 10:10:03 »

I'm not saying it's a bad article, I just think it's a bit anal to analyse the tactics to that extent.

Surely it is nothing more than the author's (educated) guesswork?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: