Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: further to the duke discussion...  (Read 3268 times)
DMR

« on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:37:35 »

... in the other thread...

if you could've retained one player from last season, who would it be (apart from parkin)?

I personally think the failure to secure Henderson was the major miss-out, and in terms of contracted ones who left, I'd have Duke
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:39:37 »

Lloyd Opara! Wink
Northern Red

« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:39:56 »

Grant Smith - Left sided balance and a source of goals

Although we're missing Dukey - his versitilaty is needed at the moment
blinkpip
His Infernal Majesty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:40:16 »

Brain Howard all the way!

ee the trick is only pick on those that can't do you no harm
Like the drummer from Def Leppard's only got one arm

I annoyed Yeovilred 28/01/06
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:42:20 »

blinkpip never fails to make me laugh... usually unintentionally.

I'd agree that missing out on Darius Henderson was unfortunate, if he'd continued in anything resembling that form for us we could have challenged for the playoffs again I feel.

Out of the players who have left, I think Robinson could do a great job for us with his energy and enthusiasm, the sort of player you need in a relegation battle.

oh - and Parkin!
mattboyslim

« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:42:55 »

Smith, his goals were vital, this season the only goals have come from up front, no one else looks likely to get double figures, I guess smiths kinda burnt his bredges though, silly boy.  Maybe turbo to add midfield steel.
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:43:03 »

On a serious note I'd have kept Duke, though if we could have guaranteed Smith's form to be as good as the 2nd half of last season he'd have been a strong contender.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say Walrus would have kept Howard.
walrus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:48:21 »

KT - yes I would, he's thew quality we're lacking this season.  His balls into the box would have been ideal.  Also, I know Howard indirectly so I could have met a Swindon star  Cheesy

No one from last season really sticks out as a must-keep, other than the messiah.  Perhaps Mooney could have done a job last season, but is probably a bit past it this.  I'm still convinced we need that intimate fan-player relationship Mooney and good performances help build up, as sometimes I feel the players resent us, or certain sections of the fans, when they get stick.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:48:35 »

turbo, no question about it!

Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:48:36 »

Not Robinson. I'd probably go for Heywood to be honest but none of them were that amazing.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:51:28 »

:shock:
Good lord,i'm all for remincising about our old players,but why are people all of a sudden coming over all misty-eyed at the thought of daisy.I must have been watching another player than the rest of you,because in my eyes he coudn't cross,tackle,defend or score goals,in fact the bloke was useless for all the time he was with us.I'm glad he's gone to warm the bench at darlington.

Player i miss, Grant Smith because he played well last season and his column in the program was great.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Kinky Tom

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 15:55:25 »

Quote from: "larwood"

:shock:
Good lord,i'm all for remincising about our old players,but why are people all of a sudden coming over all misty-eyed at the thought of daisy.I must have been watching another player than the rest of you,because in my eyes he coudn't cross,tackle,defend or score goals,in fact the bloke was useless for all the time he was with us.I'm glad he's gone to warm the bench at darlington.

Player i miss, Grant Smith because he played well last season and his column in the program was great.

I'm sure you must have been watching a different game then.

OK he didn't score many, but he played as a full-back, if he played in midfield he would have been good for at least 5 goals a season.

As for crossing we don't have one midfielder now who can cross the ball as well as Duke can.  (Obviously I'm not counting Roberts as a midfielder)
Dazzza

« Reply #12 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 16:00:44 »

Without question Matt Heywood.

Far from the complete defender but he had started to really show some of the form last season that gave so much promise early on in his Town career.

A few neutrals I managed to drag with me back in the day always singled out Heywood for praise where I perhaps had taken him for granted.

His inclusion would likely be at the expense of Ifil however it gives the side options as Ifil himself had always looked strongest alongside Heywood and O’Hanlon is more than capable of doing a very good job at right back.

As for the rest…….

Duke – Only really missing the number of assists he gave the side, overall play he’s easily covered.

Hewlett – A consistent inconsistent body in the side.  On very rare patches of form he was irreplaceable the rest of the time he was a Gonorrea swab.

Smith – Certainly miss his goals but he proved neither to be a left sided player nor a very complete central midfielder.  Can’t help but wonder now if he wasn’t somewhat a flash in the pan.

Howard – Already starting to attract praise on the LEFT at Barnsley.  Why King not only gave him the opportunity to play in the middle but then didn’t bother switching him back to the wing is a mystery.  As a central midfielder, less than Hewlett.

Igoe – 2nd choice to Heywood.  Out-of-sorts last season but given the form of a lot of the current side this season I’d rather take an out-of-sorts Igoe in the side over some of the performances seen.

Robinson – Didn’t really see enough of him last season to really warrant his inclusion.  The benefits of a tireless bustling Turbo in midfield in the current side are there to be seen and I’d quite like to see who measures up as the scruffiest man in football between him and Steve Jenkins.  Sadly to be honest a lot the time in central midfield he wasn’t much cop and it was only as a right wing back where I thought he came into his own.

Loans I agree Henderson was the biggest loss without a doubt, possibly playoffs with him in the side, who knows?

larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 16:11:51 »

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one KT Smiley .He was with us for four seasons,and in all that time he never showed any desire or improvement.As for his crossing ability,almost every time he got into a position to cross into the box,the best we could hope for was a corner.

Anyway its all in the past and nothing is going to be gained from thinking about what might have been,because he's gone to  the quakers, in spite of my non-belief in his ability i still wish the bloke luck,maybe he'll show me next season what he can do.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 17, 2005, 16:14:08 »

I think most of last years under achievers wouldn't be doing any better this term.

Heywood would be my choice I think, just for a bit of experience at the back.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: