Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Southend United - probably the end.  (Read 13508 times)
laufav

« Reply #45 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 11:12:21 »

It'll never last. He'll just use it as a vehicle to get his mates and relatives sorted out with hefty long contracts, then scurry off before Christmas, claiming the job wasn't what it said on the tin.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 11:16:43 »

Unless he knows someone who is going to buy the club then he is a complete muppet.

Fully agree Spencer. How many times must have he been told by Baghdad Bob and co. that new owners were in the pipeline, and never materialised (except for the Portugeezers, who left him 3 presents, before they disappeared).

You would've thought he would be wary of all this.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
Doore

« Reply #47 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 11:50:46 »

Hope they like sore necks, and players with no skill who run around a lot?

I also hope they like getting promoted - the other thing he did for us here.
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #48 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 13:55:02 »

It's his last shot at Management I reckon. They seem to think he'll have been given assurances about budget etc, He'd have gone anywhere for a bag of peanuts at this stage. Hope they like sore necks, and players with no skill who run around a lot?

Pretty disrespectful comments there, uncalled for. Sturrock was quality for us, don't ever forget that.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 13:56:34 »

That was then, this is now.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:01:17 »

He was good for us, but it didnt stop him fucking off at the first opportunity though did it?
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #51 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:05:49 »

Pretty disrespectful comments there, uncalled for. Sturrock was quality for us, don't ever forget that.

Direspectful and true though? Luggy got us out of L2 and unlucky for him we got hit with the embargo etc and he had players brought in for him (3 amigos etc) or who knows where we would have went with Sturrock if he had some money etc. Sturrock did the minimum and got us promoted (And almost blew that) after a great start to life in L2. He did do well here given the circumstances but the football was incredibly dire. I think in reality it shows how far we have come in such a short time now saying Luggy was shit because at the time he was a god. I mean I would rather have Danny Wilson than Paul Sturrock thats for sure. Wilson has an eye for talent. Luggy does dont get me wrong however he bringsw in the same players he signed previously over and over. Expect Easton and Folly to join Southend shortly.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:09:53 »

I also hope they like getting promoted - the other thing he did for us here.

Only just and most of that was due to the start we had. Dont  get me wrong I think he's a decent manager, but he plays a certain way that is hit and miss at best. I dont remember ever coming away from one of our games when he was in charge thinking we played well. A charge I cant even level at MM, as we did play well a few times under him.
Barry Scott

« Reply #53 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:29:52 »

I know where you're coming from sutton. He was a bit like Capello in that we played the same formation regardless of the score, the oppostion or whether we at home or away. At least that's what i recall.

I do remember some cracking games though. Cheltenham away, 1st game or the season i think, where Roberts battered them, and Walsall away, where we played nice fluid football for the whole match. I don't recall the score, but my heart says it was cricket like. Probably 1-0 or something though!

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:35:09 »

It'll never last. He'll just use it as a vehicle to get his mates and relatives sorted out with hefty long contracts, then scurry off before Christmas, claiming the job wasn't what it said on the tin.

twaddle.
he came here,did a good job, and then got offered a job at a club which meant alot to him and where his family were based.
he was honest and said that was why he was going back to plymouth.
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #55 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:39:11 »

I'm surprised people remember Sturrock so negatively.

He got us out of the basement at the first time of asking which is far from a given and he bought a complete new level of professionalism and organisation to the team and the club as a whole.

Cast your mind back to when he was appointed it was an unbelieveable coup for us at the time and for me he didn't disappoint, got us promoted for fucks sake! Yeah it was division four but try telling bradford its easy to come straight back up out of that fucking league!

makes me laugh people are complaning about the style of football, we were in division four for fucks sake.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:39:54 »

I know where you're coming from sutton. He was a bit like Capello in that we played the same formation regardless of the score, the oppostion or whether we at home or away. At least that's what i recall.

I do remember some cracking games though. Cheltenham away, 1st game or the season i think, where Roberts battered them, and Walsall away, where we played nice fluid football for the whole match. I don't recall the score, but my heart says it was cricket like. Probably 1-0 or something though!

Was 2-0 but I was in NZ at the time and missed it! Must admit I did get a surprise when I came on here and saw we had won. I even got up at 5am to check!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:41:59 »

2-0. Lucas Jutkiewicz with his first professional goal and Christian Roberts with a penalty.

you should have gone christmas shopping.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #58 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:47:07 »

I'm surprised people remember Sturrock so negatively.

He got us out of the basement at the first time of asking which is far from a given and he bought a complete new level of professionalism and organisation to the team and the club as a whole.

Cast your mind back to when he was appointed it was an unbelieveable coup for us at the time and for me he didn't disappoint, got us promoted for fucks sake! Yeah it was division four but try telling bradford its easy to come straight back up out of that fucking league!

makes me laugh people are complaning about the style of football, we were in division four for fucks sake.

As I said he did the minimum really and we almost cocked it up, Ok we have no divine right for promotion but It was Dennis Wise and Gus Poyet who brought in the level of professionalism and Sturrock just picked up from where Wise left off. Yes Sturrock carried it on, but that was the job at hand "we are X in the table, carry on and get us promoted" and he did that.  It could have gone the other way, granted and the train started coming off the tracks. The style of football was shit and tedious but yes it got results and to be fair Luggy has told Southend fans it may not be pretty as long as they get results. I am not bitter at him leaving. I would have left as soon as Vega and that little Yank Spastic Jim Little started meddling in the first team affairs. He stuck with it for quite some time despite the turmoil behind the scenes so fair play to him but the football was incredibly dire and Wilson over Sturrock any time. Luggy did drop a bollock though when he said  he wouldn't leave Swindon and he was loyal signing a 3 year contract though but I guess he did not forsee the shambles ahead of him.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Monday, July 5, 2010, 14:49:30 »

...then there was getting us to 13th place the following season. No mean feat in itself and fuck all to do with Dennis Wise.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: