Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Message for Mr. Fitton  (Read 18954 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 21:05:18 »

Eastoe's debut V Carlisle, i think was my first ever home game. Hooked from then on!

Eastoe did cost us 80K which was fair dollar back then probably the equivalent of us spending 500K on a player now.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 21:14:48 »

I completely understand how you feel Mex and I think it's quite honest of you to not make your excuses elsewhere. LS raised he point that he's lost his love of football. That's very close to how I have felt for most of this season.

Orient away was exactly how things should be at the County Ground - I know away games the crowd is louder but we were getting behind the team before kick off. The team then played their guts out from the off. You could see what it meant to them and you could tell what it meant to the fans. It was more than the three points, it felt as if we'd got our 'old Swindon' back,

The reason I say this is because I believe that small improvements could create a snowball effect. I sure hope so and get the feeling that's what Danny Wilson believes for matters on the pitch.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 01:43:09 »

W
That's the one...

West Ham 1 : Swindon 1

Paddington Station was a sea of red and white, I met people on the tube I hadn't seen in years.

Outside the ground, some West Ham fans asked me what the heck was going on, they said less people showed up for Liverpool the Saturday before.

Taylor's foul on Eastoe would be a straight red today.

Eastoe, not a big fella, received the longer ball and laid it off to Mossy, very accurately throughout the game.  Mossy showed he belonged in the top flight, where he had more success than Eastoe.

Mossy and Eastoe had pace and both of them knew where the goal was. 

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 06:50:46 »

I think you'll find that the match referred to was the FA CUP 4th round 1989.Remember Fraser
was in unbeatable form - saves from Mark Ward and David Kelly standout.Big publicity for Digby
the following week,especially from Steve Curry in the Express calling him,"The best young keeper
in england".Btw,i was also at the 75 Cup replay against the Hammers.Sadly,we couldn't stop
Brooking that night.Eastoe and Anderson were a good combo.
Thats the one. (sigh)

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 07:51:11 »

W
West Ham 1 : Swindon 1

Paddington Station was a sea of red and white, I met people on the tube I hadn't seen in years.

Outside the ground, some West Ham fans asked me what the heck was going on, they said less people showed up for Liverpool the Saturday before.

Taylor's foul on Eastoe would be a straight red today.

Eastoe, not a big fella, received the longer ball and laid it off to Mossy, very accurately throughout the game.  Mossy showed he belonged in the top flight, where he had more success than Eastoe.

Mossy and Eastoe had pace and both of them knew where the goal was. 

That was a great cup tie,as was the replay at the CG.West Ham went onto win the cup that season(1975)

Peter Eastoe is one of my all time favourite Town centre forwards.

Town fans at home and away chanting, "Eastoe, Eastoe, Eastoe", was always great.

Outside the Town End there used to be some graffiti in the 70's, with the words 'Eastoe for England'.

Whilst i wouldn't go that far,he was a very,very good striker for us.1974/75 i think he got 32 league and cup goals.

I went to Upton Park 3 years later and saw us win in the League Cup 2nd round.To think that we had a

forward line that night of Chic Bates and Chris Guthrie! Ian Miller ran the Hammers ragged that night and

we were deserved winners.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 10:23:02 »

I've not commented on this thread yet, but I think I will now.

I think I'm more in Mex's boat that the "til I die" brigade".  As I've said on many occasions football's not all about the winning for me, if we lose we lose, if we win then great.  I want to come to the CG and have a good time, whether that be due to the footie, the atmosphere, the pissed up can't remember a thing about the match, whatever.

The problem I have at the moment is that from the manager to the players I really don't get the vibe that anyone really gives a shit about the club other than us long suffering fans.  As I've just posted on a thisis article, I'd rather turn up and see the likes of Morrison, Kennedy, Allen, and Macklin be given the opportunity to show us what they can do than turn up and watch the same below average "pro's" play like shit week after week.

At least you'd get the impression that they'd be giving it their all.  Look at Stockport a couple of years ago they pretty much had a youth team out representing their club, yeah they went down but they look pretty good for it now.

I'm very much 50/50 re: renewing my ST for next season, down to personal circumtances and the thought of sitting through yet another season of mediocrity.

Bring on the yoof!!!
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 12:29:40 »

Stockport are in financial trouble, so not so well off for it.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 12:43:19 »

They have got a fair few decent assets to sell though, that they brought through.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 13:02:53 »

I've not commented on this thread yet, but I think I will now.

I think I'm more in Mex's boat that the "til I die" brigade".  As I've said on many occasions football's not all about the winning for me, if we lose we lose, if we win then great.  I want to come to the CG and have a good time, whether that be due to the footie, the atmosphere, the pissed up can't remember a thing about the match, whatever.

The problem I have at the moment is that from the manager to the players I really don't get the vibe that anyone really gives a shit about the club other than us long suffering fans.  As I've just posted on a thisis article, I'd rather turn up and see the likes of Morrison, Kennedy, Allen, and Macklin be given the opportunity to show us what they can do than turn up and watch the same below average "pro's" play like shit week after week.

At least you'd get the impression that they'd be giving it their all.  Look at Stockport a couple of years ago they pretty much had a youth team out representing their club, yeah they went down but they look pretty good for it now.

I'm very much 50/50 re: renewing my ST for next season, down to personal circumtances and the thought of sitting through yet another season of mediocrity.

Bring on the yoof!!!

I think some passion would make a world of difference, at the Crewe game the other week I deliberately (as did a lot of the supporters) stayed and clapped the team off, especially Callum Kennedy as he had tried his heart out and looked close to tears at the final whistle - really looked like he cared. But then again there were also supporters walking out saying 'why are you clapping - we lost' so I suppose its 6 and 2 3's in some ways behind the supporters and players.

Oh I don't bloody know, would just be nice to win occassionally though!
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 13:21:31 »

Stockport are in financial trouble, so not so well off for it.

What's that got to do with it Rob?  You're saying Stockport are in financial woe because of the youngsters in their team?  I would argue it's probably helped them out if anything.

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 14:08:53 »

took a while to catch up to where this thread is now.a cracking read with many differing views.i've already had my say but must add that,how anyone can compare it to thisis should hang their heads in shame.this thread to me proves why this forum is the best stfc one.
good work everyone
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 14:11:16 »

I will ruin it Arriba and say i think Stockport would be SHATTTERED if they had to sell Pilkington!

He looks a good player.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 14:33:26 »

I like what you did there!

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 14:41:12 »

I think those that are talking about "players having passion for the shirt" are a little wide of the mark.

There have been very few players who actually have a passion for Swindon Town.  Some of those will be local lads, others players from elsewhere who settled here, played well for us for x years, were popular with the fans etc.  but even they will never have the passion for STFC that we do.

Lets have a reality check. We are not Man United.   Outside of a 5-10,000 group of fans, no one dreams about playing for Swindon Town.  They dream about playing for Man United, Liverpool,Arsenal, Real Madrid, England etc.

But this does not mean that our players cannot show passion. It should be a passion to do their best for professional pride, for their manager, to be a winner and achieve something. Most of all perhaps out of respect for the people who pay their wages - i.e. US.  I just dont think that its realistic to expect a group of players from all over the country (and the world to an extent) to genuinley care about the club the size of ours, if you do, you are deluded.

And this is the problem at the moment. Our players, by and large,  are gutless. They get outfought be virtually every team we play.  This has now translated to the fans who feel apathetic about watching a group of players who allow themselves to be bullied and outworked by sometimes technically inferior teams.  Our defence also plays a major part in this for me. 

We as fans dont go into games thinking that if we work hard and keep it tight we could nick a 1-0 here because A. we conceed 2 goals a game on average and B. we have a special ability to wilt under pressure and conceed late equalisers or winners.  again, because a large number of the players are gutless and hide when under pressure.

I know its a subject that has been mentioned loads, but our team seems to lack any kind of leadership whatsoever.  Whoever has been Captain, not just Aljofree, cannot lift the other players.  I've no idea why this is

Most decent teams, even really good ones have a couple of players with an element of thuggishness about them. Our players are like fairies most of the time. I'd be well happy to see us sign a couple of big aggressive skinheads with mediocre ability at the moment, because I do genuinley believe that we have some talenteted players by league 1 standards and getting a couple of hard men would give the players with ability like Macca, Cox & Mcgovern a platform on which to perform. 
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Wednesday, January 21, 2009, 14:52:04 »

How many 20 man brawls have we been in this season? Not enough, i'd wager.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: