Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: So, the fans are split...  (Read 19179 times)
thepeoplesgame

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 11:03:23 »

I wonder if the difference between home and away form is something to do with the fact that there are a lot more moaning booers in home crowds of 6-7000 as opposed to the obviously lower numbers at away games. The negativity created by them certainly won't inspire or motivate players to try harder. People say that as pro's they should be able to rise above it. Nonetheless, when it happens week after week, and they still hear some at away games, it must get very wearing.

And management bawling instead of firing up from the touchline will only exacerbate the situation. Particularly if they are not held in high regard by players.

There may be some grounds where the fans go out of their way to lift the players, but ours isn't one of them. However, while we do have some knobs who love to boo the team off at half-time just because we're not 3-0 up, most of the fans at the County Ground will respond positively to good performances. They will feed off a bright start and visible displays of effort, which can make for a mutually beneficial atmosphere. The football we played against Tranmere and QPR delivered decent atmospheres, the football we played against Colchester and Leeds didn't.

In short, the players should stop moaning (if they even are?), accept that this is what it's like where they work and get on with delivering the kind of displays that will have 6,000 fans backing them to the hilt. They'll enjoy their Saturday afternoons a lot more if they do. And so will I.

Malpas IN, by the way. And thanks to Juddie for mentioning Andy King and surely reminding everyone how much worse off we could be!
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #226 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 11:13:13 »

I don't think it's the losing, it's the nature of the losses and the failure to improve on the errors. Personally speaking, I didn't know enough about Malpas at the time of his appointment to be pleased or disappointed. I thought I'd give the bloke a chance and I feel I am doing that.

I don't mind if we finish in mid-table, I'd just like to see a bit of progress. I think we've made excellent progress up front, but we've totally lost it at the back. What would happen if our key attacking players got badly injured? I don't think we have a different game plan. We'd be lacking goals and conceding them an awful lot. I think that's why I'm so concerned with the way the defence is performing.

Dead chuffed with the result against Stockport, we seem to be doing ok away from home. Certainly not terrible like we had been. We've sucked at home though, I hope to see an improved performance on Sunday and that is what will make me feel a bit better. I somehow feel if we can grind a result out at home it'll be a pyschological boost and we can build on it from there.

As for passing blame on to Byrne and Williams, if the management team as a whole are not performing you cannot point blame at two of the backroom staff and not Malpas. I'm not saying blame Malpas only, but he is ultimately responsible for their employment and man management. I thought listening from interviews that Byrne and Malpas are working together and offer similar explanations for 4-3.5-2.5 formations. That suggests the logic is shared between them and they probably bounce ideas off each other anyway.

Pretty much my views - its not the losses its the nature of them. My expectation for the season was mid table. We may end up there but i'm not sure i'll enjoy the journey. We need a win on Sunday to get our home form back on track and give the home fans something to cheer about.
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 11:20:32 »

There may be some grounds where the fans go out of their way to lift the players, but ours isn't one of them. However, while we do have some knobs who love to boo the team off at half-time just because we're not 3-0 up, most of the fans at the County Ground will respond positively to good performances. They will feed off a bright start and visible displays of effort, which can make for a mutually beneficial atmosphere. The football we played against Tranmere and QPR delivered decent atmospheres, the football we played against Colchester and Leeds didn't.

In short, the players should stop moaning (if they even are?), accept that this is what it's like where they work and get on with delivering the kind of displays that will have 6,000 fans backing them to the hilt. They'll enjoy their Saturday afternoons a lot more if they do. And so will I.

Malpas IN, by the way. And thanks to Juddie for mentioning Andy King and surely reminding everyone how much worse off we could be!

Agree with all that, but isn't it just like the only sing when you're winning attitude? If fans expect players to try harder when things are not going so well why don't they follow their own advice? We are supposed to be on the same side, although I think a lot of spectators only seem to go for their regular dose of knobhead therapy.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 16:21:16 »

I've heard that Bart fancies Steve Bleasdale as the new manager (the bloke at the petrol station told me)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #229 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 17:01:03 »

I heard bart told him to tell you that.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 18:48:00 »

I heard that bart fanceis bum sex with a 3 legged goat

Things get better but they never get good
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier