Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Make £125,000 Bid for Easter  (Read 7853 times)
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 12:38:35 »

There aren't any teams that end in b  :?

Things get better but they never get good
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 13:04:24 »

In PS's update today there are words like "lead to believe ..." and "by deadline day" making it sound like we may have to wait beyond the match vs Cheltenham to see any new players ... possibly. Whilst appreciating that £125k in Easter's case may be what PS thinks he is worth, to prise a prime beef target away may mean he has to pay above his valuation, within reason, especially when there are others trying for the same player.
magic8ball

« Reply #47 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 13:11:12 »

Quote from: "wheretherealredsare"
In PS's update today there are words like "lead to believe ..." and "by deadline day" making it sound like we may have to wait beyond the match vs Cheltenham to see any new players ... possibly. Whilst appreciating that £125k in Easter's case may be what PS thinks he is worth, to prise a prime beef target away may mean he has to pay above his valuation, within reason, especially when there are others trying for the same player.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sturrock (senior that is, junior is a pain in the arse) but he does tend to say things, and then kind of go back on them.

After the takeover went through, and he was going on about this prime beef nonsense, he said something along the lines of "I would hope that we will have two new faces in by the Cheltenham game" and then the next time he speaks up, he's hoping that we get them in by the transfer deadline.

I know these things take time, but if its unlikely that we'll sign them by Saturday, don't say that we will!
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 13:21:45 »

Exactly! Or maybe the County Ground is sitting in the eye of a totally different time-space continuum?

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 13:26:31 »

Quote from: "The_Plagiarist"
Quote from: "STFCLady"
every team ends in b if you use the full name ie. ending in football club

give the girl a biscuit!  Tongue

Wolves was the one I heard. my sources are usually anything but impeccable.

wolves one of them,preston the other.
i'd say your source is a goodun on this.
what fee did you hear?
The_Plagiarist

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 14:31:17 »

Don't know the amount, just that Wolves had made a bid and that Brez didn't want to go there.
millom red

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 15:38:07 »

Quote from: "wheretherealredsare"
Exactly! Or maybe the County Ground is sitting in the eye of a totally different time-space continuum?

I think its high time we called for captain jack.....

f it dont need fixing....dont fuckin break it

Await The Day
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 15:58:18 »

Quote from: "arriba"

wolves one of them,preston the other.
i'd say your source is a goodun on this.
what fee did you hear?

What fee did you hear Arriba?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 16:36:50 »

Haven't read the thread - but the valuation of £125,000 is adequate as far as his stats are concerned. I've heard and read of a £600,000+ price tag which is frankly insane.

People think of Easter as an "amazing" player because he's had a little bit of press and in the last year he's become a "name" and yes, he's getting a better strike rate as his career progresses in 4th tier football.

Hartlepool United (majority of the time in L2) 28 league apps (all of which are from the bench) and 2 goals.

Cambridge United (League 2) 39 league apps and 8 goals

Boston United (League 2) 9 league apps and 3 goals

Stockport County (League 2) 19 league apps and 8 goals

Wycombe Wanderers (League 2) 54 league apps and 20 goals

My question is whether a player who has only played 3rd tier football three times in his entire career (in 2003 all as a sub) should have a ridiculously sized price tag? My answer is no - which all Wycombe fans would disagree with.
Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, August 21, 2007, 17:19:03 »

give the girl a biscuit!  :P

Based no doubt on the fact McCarthy and his assistant were at the game. They're not playing Charlton anytime soon, but managers always attend games randomly.

It does make business sense that as we have Phil Smith, that we let Brez go if he isn't playing - but I like the bloke, think he's a cut above and would lve to see him in a Town side rising to the championship
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 16:03:22 »

Quote from: "The Moonraker"

Based no doubt on the fact McCarthy and his assistant were at the game. They're not playing Charlton anytime soon, but managers always attend games randomly.

It does make business sense that as we have Phil Smith, that we let Brez go if he isn't playing - but I like the bloke, think he's a cut above and would lve to see him in a Town side rising to the championship

I think a lot of people suggested that as we paid a fee for Brez then we would be selling him on when he had proved his fitness.

To be fair if Wolves or Preston was going to offer him 1st team football then he would be mad not to go as it is a step up and both teams have a realistic chance of promotion as well.

If he does go I'd like to know we have a large sell on clause written in, as well as a few other money orientated clauses but now we are to be owned by an investment company they must know how to strike good deals !!
STFC Bart

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 16:10:15 »

If any fee is paid someone willbe sold to pay for this. No new money will be invested
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 16:14:55 »

Quote from: "STFC Bart"
If any fee is paid someone willbe sold to pay for this. No new money will be invested

What, you mean like a proper business?

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

It's about time the club was run as a business, not a charity, asking for handouts.

If we can sell Brez and use the money to bring in players that are needed, I think it's a good thing.

It's All Good..............
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 16:16:39 »

I think that's the point everybody has been making over the past 4 pages of discussion Bart....
WorcesterRed

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, August 22, 2007, 17:07:59 »

Quote from: "herthab"

What, you mean like a proper business?

I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing.

It's about time the club was run as a business, not a charity, asking for handouts.

If we can sell Brez and use the money to bring in players that are needed, I think it's a good thing.

Aahhhhh, sorry but I thought that business did in fact invest money from time to time. Must be just me that thought that then?

Not trying to be awkward, just trying to point facts out. The club should be self-financing I agree but at the same time, businesses do invest I'm afraid.

And let's not forget that this whole "takeover"        debacle has definitely been spun on the basis that our future is financially secure and that there WOULD be money to invest in players.

Whether or not Bart is correct or not (1) Business DO invest and (2) we have been told that there IS money available for players. Bart is simply making the point that he thinks that players will need to be sold on before any funds are released. If this is the case, it would go against the grain of what is being spun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: