Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 132   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Manager thread part (96837494)  (Read 158704 times)
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #870 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:16:57 »

I think a difficult truth is we recruited better players in the Power era - due to greater football knowledge and contacts at a senior level.  And probably because of Ben Chorley.  Do we even have a Chief Scout now?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #871 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:19:27 »

If Jody Morris is the wrong type of appointment (premier league and player development creds) and Michael Flynn is also wrong (lower league experience and has got out of L2 before) then who is the right type of appointment?

One who wins games.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #872 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:35:58 »

Well, yeah. But Wellens putting together his own squad would get us out of L2.

Paul Jewell put together that 19-20 team didn't he?

Brilliantly coached by Wellens nonetheless

BTW it's never the model, it's how well the model is executed.

All models can work. Any will work more often is there if clear, progressive leadership from the top of the club down. Chair, CEO, DoF and Head Coach all being good leaders and aligned on their model at the time. Look at Brentford or Brighton. It stems from the Chairman down, but takes 3-4+ high quality individuals to execute it.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:41:11 by Boeta » Logged
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #873 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:38:19 »

One who wins games.

Better give Guardiola a call
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #874 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 14:51:54 »

All models can work. Any will work more often is there if clear, progressive leadership from the top of the club down. Chair, CEO, DoF and Head Coach all being good leaders and aligned on their model at the time. Look at Brentford or Brighton. It stems from the Chairman down, but takes 3-4+ high quality individuals to execute it.

Agreed.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #875 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:01:39 »

I'd also say that money is nice but leadership from the top is more important (assuming the budget is 'competitive' 😆).

E.g. Accrington and Northampton vs. Salford and Gillingham
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #876 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:05:56 »

Nobody is.

I honestly think who the manager is a much of a muchness at this level. Any success we've had has been attributed to the quality of the squad with a small amount from the manager.

Wellens promotion team - large budget to try and get promotion (as Wellens has said in interviews). Squad included Yates, Doyle, Grant and Benda - brilliant spine of a team

Put Wellens in charge of this squad and I don't think we'd be much better off, maybe marginally so.

I think that sums things up nicely.

Your first sentence can be copied and pasted alongside all four divisions IMHO. With a short list of merry go round managers for each level.

Money gets the manager. Money gets the players. The result of the money spent is in the lap of the football gods.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #877 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:17:49 »

As usual, Rich Banyard's your man. Flynn is still miles clear of Morris, Hart and Sheridan, but not many others - just Gorman, Quinn and Todd. Behind Iffy.

http://swindon-town-fc.co.uk/Managers.asp

Quite telling to see how many recent ex-managers have gone on to have similar-or-better success elsewhere - Williams, Flitcroft, Wellens, Garner, Lindsey etc.  Shows the importance of having the bigger picture setup / strategy in place as well as recruiting the right team in the dugout.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #878 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:20:33 »

What’s Garner done? Sacked by Charlton, sacked by Colchester.
doversparkred

Ignore
« Reply #879 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:26:47 »

I was just checking you were concentrating.

Amazing 60% win ratio at Swindon tho - best record since Di Canio - and a couple of pens away from a Wembley final.  If memory serves that was part of the Ben Chorley era (who was funded by Clem I believe) which would suggest the importance of the overall strategy and setup.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #880 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:36:54 »

If Jody Morris is the wrong type of appointment (premier league and player development creds) and Michael Flynn is also wrong (lower league experience and has got out of L2 before) then who is the right type of appointment?

Nobody under this regime. Anyone would be doomed.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #881 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 15:47:13 »

Could’nt do any worse here.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #882 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 16:26:03 »

Our strategy is to sign players who will potentially in a year or 2 be worth money so they can be sold on and the club makes money - which is fine if a) the money is reinvested back into the club or b) it is reinvested back into the playing squad but as neither seem to have been done then it makes a mockery of policy.

We need that right blend of youth and experience - the spine of the team should be your experience to help along the younger ones and provide leadership, sadly we have not had that for a few seasons and there stems the issue - not willing to pay a bit more in wages for the more experienced player as they have no resale value.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #883 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 17:23:24 »

He's never got out of L2 before.
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #884 on: Tuesday, January 2, 2024, 17:28:11 »

I'm of the belief that I'd rather we didn't get a new manager until the regime changes.

Flynn is part of the regime. He's toed the line, joined in with the lies, been complicit. Anyone of any class would have resigned after Aldershot. His shabby contract extension stinks to high heaven and him and Hatswell are clearly about as much use as Paul and Barry Chuckle on the training ground. His motivational, organisational and leadership abilities are non existent.

Morris at least had the guts and self respect to call out the bullshit.

I'd like Flynn to stay until the entire Morfuni operation is driven out.

Then we make a fresh start with a Caddis or similar.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 ... 132   Go Up
Print
Jump to: