Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ukraine v England  (Read 6560 times)
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 06:49:41 »

What a fucking boring match that was.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:04:07 »

It was a dull game but the right result, we went for a draw and got it.

I don't get the furore surrounding Lambert who I think is a Championship level player at best, he was dire 2nd half. Milner, Walker and Wilshire were poor all game for me too.

England will do what they always do, qualify for the finals then disappoint badly in the finals, its kind of expected.

The Ukraine left winger Konoplyanka though was brilliant with some great skill and speed and passing, he would do well in England.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:47:49 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:11:36 »

Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't yet managed to beat anyone other than those two giants, Moldova and San Marino - with or without the likes of Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge etc. 

That says it all, really.

DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:17:32 »

Unless I'm mistaken, we haven't yet managed to beat anyone other than those two giants, Moldova and San Marino - with or without the likes of Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge etc. 

I struggle to get excited about watching England..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:18:33 »

Yet we're still top! Must be doing something right, although there's definitely room for improvement.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 08:28:32 »

Yet we're still top! Must be doing something right, although there's definitely room for improvement.
This is exactly right, the football we are playing is much better than under the Italian and we are getting good results if not exactly playing overly attacking football, the same goes for England Cheesy

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:03:17 »

Can't even give a flying fuck about England anymore. I'd rather watch Emmerdale.

Last time I felt any excitement about the national game was 2002 WC (v Argentina).

Sometimes I wonder if England would be better off fielding a bunch of League 2/1 lads. At least they might play with some heart and soul. I'm afraid watching England just sucks any joy of life out of me and leaves me feeling empty.

Perhaps I am just a miserable bastard with rose tinted glasses but I miss the days when Lineker and Gazza were playing - supporting England was natural then - now it just feels like a corporate driven chore. 

Before 1990, watching England play, was something only really done by the hardcore fan, even in 66, there were no real spontaneous celebrations of the WC win. England fans were notorious for trouble, so attendances at games could be quite small.

I recently watched some old footage of Euro 80 in Italy, and it was short shorts, empty stadia and England fans getting teargassed along with Ray Clemence. By 86, you could go in a fairly packed pub for England v Argentina, and there'd be 1 tele in the corner, where the diehards would gather to watch the game.

1990, changed all that, England went OK in the tournament...the Italians sexed up their grounds and the Beeb had Nessum Dorma...thus making it OK for the middle classes to like football.  Then the Prem hype kicked in and maintained the bubble, until now, Beckham did his bit, to maintain the hype, but it's now getting back to just the hardcore fan having an interest.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:11:14 »

I got tear gassed in Turin in 90. Great fun that was..
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:16:57 »

I got tear gassed in Turin in 90. Great fun that was..

Ahhh that explains a lot. :-)
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:22:08 »

Before 1990, watching England play, was something only really done by the hardcore fan, even in 66, there were no real spontaneous celebrations of the WC win. England fans were notorious for trouble, so attendances at games could be quite small.

I recently watched some old footage of Euro 80 in Italy, and it was short shorts, empty stadia and England fans getting teargassed along with Ray Clemence. By 86, you could go in a fairly packed pub for England v Argentina, and there'd be 1 tele in the corner, where the diehards would gather to watch the game.

1990, changed all that, England went OK in the tournament...the Italians sexed up their grounds and the Beeb had Nessum Dorma...thus making it OK for the middle classes to like football.  Then the Prem hype kicked in and maintained the bubble, until now, Beckham did his bit, to maintain the hype, but it's now getting back to just the hardcore fan having an interest.

It's probably even more simple than that Reg. The introduction of the Premier League and subsequent influx of foreign players has raised fans' expectations - they now expect some kind of footballing spectacle from their heroes, which the current crop of players (and dull Manager) can't produce. We're crying out for the next Gascoigne, Hoddle or Beckham.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Peter Venkman

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:30:45 »

Attendances at England games hit a massive lull after about 1982 lots of sub 40k crowds at Wembley culminating in the 15,628 in 1989 for the Rous cup v Chile.

I don't think we will ever see crowds that low again at Wembley for an England game. The lowest crowd I have been in at Wembley was 38,125 vs USSR in 84....talk about sparse, awful crowd awful game.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:32:17 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:36:46 »

Luxembourg beat Norn Iron last night, titter. Luxembourg's first home win in qualifying since 1972.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 09:48:27 »

Attendances at England games hit a massive lull after about 1982 lots of sub 40k crowds at Wembley culminating in the 15,628 in 1989 for the Rous cup v Chile.

I don't think we will ever see crowds that low again at Wembley for an England game. The lowest crowd I have been in at Wembley was 38,125 vs USSR in 84....talk about sparse, awful crowd awful game.

My first England games were some of the friendlies pre Euro 96. Most were pretty poor stuff and gave little indication of the joys to come in the tournament ahead.

Having looked it up there was 21,000 at a Wembley game against Japan in 1995. Incredible when you think about people make of a non sell out nowadays.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:11:08 »

About 58000 v Saudi Arabia pre France 98. 0-0, awful game.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #44 on: Wednesday, September 11, 2013, 10:27:11 »

My first England game was vs Czechozlovakia in 78 we got tickets for about £2 from the school, fantastic game when Viv Anderson became the first black player to represent Engand at full international level.

There were 92,000 there and that was a fantastic atmosphere....Steve Coppell scored the only goal of the game, still have the programme to this day.

Peter Shilton, Dave Watson, Trevor Cherry, Phil Thompson, Viv Anderson, Steve Coppell, Tony Currie, Ray Wilkins, Kevin Keegan, Tony Woodcock, Peter Barnes. Bob Latchford sub.

Brings back some good England memories for me.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: